Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
How do you know if the apps have any malicious code in it? No one screens them before it appears in the Market. :/

How do you know your coffee isn't poisoned in the morning? :huh:

Chill out, some people are so ridiculously paranoid, especially when they don't even understand the technology...

I think thats what he was asking :)

KevinJ

Reaction score
the apps on the market actually do something to your phone; ie, widgets, lwp, soundboards. The iphone apps are mainly junk, fart apps, weblinks. But they do have espnradio app.

Being a photographer and a science geek (especially astronomy), the apps available for iPhone blow away anything for Android. None of the great apps I would love to use is available for Android.

I almost want to have an iPhone just for the apps.

Reaction score
the apps on the market actually do something to your phone; ie, widgets, lwp, soundboards. The iphone apps are mainly junk, fart apps, weblinks. But they do have espnradio app.

Being a photographer and a science geek (especially astronomy), the apps available for iPhone blow away anything for Android. None of the great apps I would love to use is available for Android.

No one is stopping you..

darreno1

Reaction score

Care to name a few? A friend of mine has a 3gs and I'd love to check out some of these 'great' must have apps.

gkny172

Reaction score
I like google, I use their products but they are going to have to do something about the quality of the apps in the market eventually. I know they are just trying to grow it now and it garners attention and positive press. But unfortunately 29,500 of the 30,000 apps are absolute garbage. I despise apple and particularly their "my way or the highway" attitude with their apps but I am sure 99% of their apps aren't BS. It will eventually hurt the android brand if it isn't brought under control.
You're sure? I think 2% of their apps are fart apps, so they are already down to 98%.

Apple definitely has its fair share of pointless/crap/BS apps so don't go there.

I do admit that recently there are RIDICULOUS amounts of crap. Like Hot Babes 1, Hot Babes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Funny Jokes, Dirty Jokes, Blonde Jokes, etc when they could all be in one app. They are an attempt to make money by having people download multiple apps instead of just "Hot Babes App" or "Jokes App".
Dude, thanks for making me laugh out loud today

crspang

Reaction score

GoogleSky???

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

A few points. Developers for the iPhone several huge advantages over Android developers, some obvious, some less so. One, of course, is the huge installed base that makes it possible to develop a niche application such as those you've mentioned for a relatively large group of users.

The second advantage is that iPhone developers must target only a single phone; Android developers don't enjoy that luxury. In fact, Android developers frequently don't even have access to all of the hardware devices for which their apps are intended.

Third, the Android platform is at serious risk in terms of fracturing among distinct rev levels, versions, and UI's. We already see apps that don't run on Version 1.5 or 1.6 of the operating system. As the rev levels continue to proliferate and manufacturers add this or that UI overlay to the o/s, that problem will only get worse.

Unfortunately, Google seems disinclined to exert the sort of control over the o/s and the "Market" that's called for to remedy some of these problems. Can't say I blame them, but when one considers the problems developers face, it's more understandable that developers like Swype hesitate to get themselves mired in the anarchy that afflicts the entire Android platform.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
The second advantage is that iPhone developers must target only a single phone; Android developers don't enjoy that luxury. In fact, Android developers frequently don't even have access to all of the hardware devices for which their apps are intended.
Thats not a complete disadvantage... Yes coding for multiple devices is harder, but when 60,000 android devices are shipping each and every day.... The developer has the opportunity to reach a much broader audience.
The Iphone has its core fan base, but whth so many different Android devices on the market, that many more/different people will purchase one. And the market penetration will be much greater simply because people have more options than one phone.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

A few points. Developers for the iPhone several huge advantages over Android developers, some obvious, some less so. One, of course, is the huge installed base that makes it possible to develop a niche application such as those you've mentioned for a relatively large group of users.

Third, the Android platform is at serious risk in terms of fracturing among distinct rev levels, versions, and UI's. We already see apps that don't run on Version 1.5 or 1.6 of the operating system. As the rev levels continue to proliferate and manufacturers add this or that UI overlay to the o/s, that problem will only get worse.

Unfortunately, Google seems disinclined to exert the sort of control over the o/s and the "Market" that's called for to remedy some of these problems. Can't say I blame them, but when one considers the problems developers face, it's more understandable that developers like Swype hesitate to get themselves mired in the anarchy that afflicts the entire Android platform.

You should read this thread then decide : http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...one-blackberry-windows-mobile.html#post300555

So the iPhone may be the prettiest, the Blackberry may boast the biggest smartphone market share, and the Windows Mobile platform is, um, around, but it’s Android that’s best for developing apps. Or at least it was the Android developers who best defended their platform at the smartphone smackdown during our Mobile Madness event on Tuesday.The event was a big success, featuring a look at the future of the mobile industry both locally and globally, a panel of executives dishing on what we can look forward to in the next year, and keynote speakers touching on voice recognition, data storage, and Windows’ share in the smartphone world. More than 200 people crammed into Microsoft’s New England Research & Development Center for the forum. (Check out our slide show here.)
I think the purpose of the smackdown was best summed up in the words of referee John Landry, founder and managing director of Lead Dog Ventures: “The objective here is really to dump on the other platforms.”
To achieve that, we invited developers and others passionate about app creation to step up and represent the iPhone, Google’s Android, BlackBerry, and Windows. The audience decided by a raising of hands that the Android guys did the best job representing their platform. The congratulations goes to Henry Cipolla, chief technology officer of mobile app analysis startup Localytics, and Carter Jernigan, founder of two forty four a.m., makers of the app Locale, which enables phones to automatically change their settings based on locations.
The duo lauded Android’s ability to work with multiple carriers, the openness of the platform’s market, and its ability to run background apps, allowing an app to remain active even when it’s not the primary app being run. Jernigan spoke about how his product could only work with the Android platform because of that unique capability. “If you’re trying to create a business and have a lot of different avenues for success, the Android makes the most sense,” Cipolla said.
This gave the iPhone guys an opportunity to jump in. “Don’t you want to be where the people are?” said Raizlabs‘ Craig Spitzkoff, pointing out the fact that Apple has the highest share of customers downloading and paying for mobile apps.
Cimarron Buser, VP of products and marketing for Apperian, pointed out that when it comes to apps, in the beginning there was the iPhone. “You can already see that every other vendor is looking at the iPhone in terms of technology and business model,” he said.
Other smackdown contenders, and even audience members, pointed out the sense of entitlement this has given the iPhone. They criticized Apple’s tendency to suddenly shelve a mobile app (which it did last month with apps it deemed too sexy) and in turn tank a developer’s business.
Zachariah Hofer-Shall, representing development on the Windows Mobile side, lashed out at what he called the “communist regulations of the App Store.” He and others also brought up
the iPhones’s inability to support Flash—a perennial criticism of the device.
He took his far share of flak, though. So did our keynoter, Windows Phone evangelist Anthony Kinney, when he gave us a look into the company’s plans for its 7 Series phone, due out in “holiday 2010″ (vague, we know).
And it turns out that Windows’ problem isn’t just one of design or construction, but of marketing (a point brought up earlier in the event by Kinney). “A lot of people out there have Windows Mobile devices and don’t even know it,” said Hofer-Shall, who works for Forrester Research but spoke on the Windows platform from his personal, not professional standpoint, as he has a tech blog outside of work.
William Sulinski, co-founder and CEO of mCaddie, makers of the golf analytics AccelGolf app, represented the BlackBerry platform with the logic and composure that often categorizes this smartphone, or at least its users. He also has iPhone and Android versions of his app, but said he likes the older demographic he can target with BlackBerry (made by Research in Motion), and the huge user base of the phone.
But he had no pretenses about the challenge in developing for RIM’s device. “What it does is separate the men from the boys,” Sulinski said, with a nod to the fact that the varying screen sizes among BlackBerry devices require different coding.
In the end, it seems, no platform is perfect. But each one seems to have developers who love it.
Source: xconomy.com

Last edited:

drjoek

Reaction score
Most of the apps I see associated with the iPhone make me think of the candy display in the checkout aisle at the grocery store. Youre waiting your turn and its staring you in the face so why not grab a snickers. The apps all seem like useless piffle that youd use once and think why the **** did I just spend a buck for that.
That being said Id like to see more Droid apps even though I only use a few regularly and check the market pretty often.

CoolBreeze

Reaction score
In relation to the useless apps we have within the Market, I really just don't understand why people would submit "Hello World" test apps. I just don't see the point in doing this. As a developer you know your app serves no purpose and many state it right in the description, so why put it out on the market for others. I've seen at least one where the developer was charging $4.99 for a "Hello World" app. C'mon!! Are you kidding me!

If the reasoning is to test the deployment process, it would be very helpful for Google to provide a test sandbox, that could be used to make sure deployment works fine for your app. This would cut down on the deployment of usesless test apps that even the developers state serve no purpose and are just for testing.

As a developer it just infuriates me that people submit useless crap like "Hello World" and all of the "isms" apps by VirtualTechs such as "Conanism", as someone else pointed out things like that could just be bundled into a single app to provide quotes and facts.

Sorry about the rant.

edthesped

Reaction score
In relation to the useless apps we have within the Market, I really just don't understand why people would submit "Hello World" test apps. I just don't see the point in doing this. As a developer you know your app serves no purpose and many state it right in the description, so why put it out on the market for others. I've seen at least one where the developer was charging $4.99 for a "Hello World" app. C'mon!! Are you kidding me!

If the reasoning is to test the deployment process, it would be very helpful for Google to provide a test sandbox, that could be used to make sure deployment works fine for your app. This would cut down on the deployment of usesless test apps that even the developers state serve no purpose and are just for testing.

As a developer it just infuriates me that people submit useless crap like "Hello World" and all of the "isms" apps by VirtualTechs such as "Conanism", as someone else pointed out things like that could just be bundled into a single app to provide quotes and facts.

Sorry about the rant.

I'll continue the rant....

It would be really nice to be able to filter out certain crapware authors that continually flood the market with pages of apps that are completely useless to me.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Sorry about the rant.

Reminds me of another app named "I'm Rich" or "Make me rich", something to that effect, that did nothing and he was charging $54.99 for it..

edthesped

Reaction score
Most of the apps I see associated with the iPhone make me think of the candy display in the checkout aisle at the grocery store. Youre waiting your turn and its staring you in the face so why not grab a snickers. The apps all seem like useless piffle that youd use once and think why the **** did I just spend a buck for that.
That being said Id like to see more Droid apps even though I only use a few regularly and check the market pretty often.

The main reason I like the Droid better than the Iphone is when I get the "did I just spend a buck for that" feeling I can get a refund. My son paid a buck for a silly "touch me" button on his Ipod Touch and when I tried to make him return it I learned the apps store doesn't do refunds.