Android 4.2 a love affair.. maybe.. an upgraders tale

angelman

Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to others to hear my 4.2 upgrade story.
Background story:
Coming from a Droid1 to Nexus was like night and day. Droid1 was ok but always flawed but things like proper bluetooth and its general openness attracted me more than the iphone. It was always slow, chunky and ugly (to me). Nexus was lightning fast and svelte in comparison, though battery life kind of sucked and the screen seemed less durable (cracked twice now after small drops).
The bluetooth was great, and I would use my Droid as my car stereo connected to a bluetooth adaptor. However it was pretty flaky, often disconnected, wouldnt automatically reconnect etc. I used tasker to manually switch bluetooth on and off and connect for me.
ICS was a revelation, an enormous leap from Gingerbread et al. but it was still stuttery compared to iOS (of course it is doing way more stuff than iOS does or could). The bluetooth was a big improvemenet and auto connected maybe 60% of the time. I still used tasker to do the connection and disconnection thought so it was more reliable.
Then Jelly Bean came out and the promise of Project butter meant that I rooted the Nexus and installed it. I tried a few ROMS and once again it was like I had a new phone. It's amazing how each increment (even the small ones) really brings significant benefits each time. Bluetooth again improved but still not perfect.
Google NOW was an awesome addition, spookily useful. How did it know I wanted to drive to that restaurant at that time. I loved how it monitored my calendar and traffic and told me what time to leave.. amazing.
After a while of adding apps and running it the phone started to get a little slow and jittery again then 4.2 was released. I tried installing one of the AOSP type ROMS a week or so ago. I had read about how it shifted the sdcard to a new directory called 0 so was ready for that.
Sadly though when I activated the pin screen lock the phone froze, rebooting came back to the pin lock screen. I had to wipe and start again. Eventualyl I gave up with that ROM and found another one. This time I installed via nexus toolkit (as I couldnt really start my phone that well).
Now I am not sure what happened exactly. I followed all the instructions and now it seems to have replaced clockwork mod with TWPR which is fine by me but I don't know where/how this happened. In fact both seem to be installed, if I reboot to bootloader I still get clockwork mod.
Now I seem to have several (0) directories in different places. I am not sure if they are all copies or links to the same place though. Neither TWPR not clockwork seem to be able to find the right folders and I seem to have lost all my titanium backups etc. in the move.
I now have:
/storage/emulated/0
/storage/emulated/0/0
/storage/emulated/legacy/0
/storage/sdcard0/0
/storage/sdcard0/0/0

In Astro it says I have Local Storage 1, 2, 3 4 Local storage1 = /mnt/shell/emulated which is empty

Can anyone help me sort out this mess?

I think once I have sorted that all out then 4.2 is looking like the best ever.

Oh did I mention that finally bluetooth seems to work perfectly. It disconnects and connects perfectly every time now!

azdrifter

Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to others to hear my 4.2 upgrade story.
Background story:
Coming from a Droid1 to Nexus was like night and day. Droid1 was ok but always flawed but things like proper bluetooth and its general openness attracted me more than the iphone. It was always slow, chunky and ugly (to me). Nexus was lightning fast and svelte in comparison, though battery life kind of sucked and the screen seemed less durable (cracked twice now after small drops).
The bluetooth was great, and I would use my Droid as my car stereo connected to a bluetooth adaptor. However it was pretty flaky, often disconnected, wouldnt automatically reconnect etc. I used tasker to manually switch bluetooth on and off and connect for me.
ICS was a revelation, an enormous leap from Gingerbread et al. but it was still stuttery compared to iOS (of course it is doing way more stuff than iOS does or could). The bluetooth was a big improvemenet and auto connected maybe 60% of the time. I still used tasker to do the connection and disconnection thought so it was more reliable.
Then Jelly Bean came out and the promise of Project butter meant that I rooted the Nexus and installed it. I tried a few ROMS and once again it was like I had a new phone. It's amazing how each increment (even the small ones) really brings significant benefits each time. Bluetooth again improved but still not perfect.
Google NOW was an awesome addition, spookily useful. How did it know I wanted to drive to that restaurant at that time. I loved how it monitored my calendar and traffic and told me what time to leave.. amazing.
After a while of adding apps and running it the phone started to get a little slow and jittery again then 4.2 was released. I tried installing one of the AOSP type ROMS a week or so ago. I had read about how it shifted the sdcard to a new directory called 0 so was ready for that.
Sadly though when I activated the pin screen lock the phone froze, rebooting came back to the pin lock screen. I had to wipe and start again. Eventualyl I gave up with that ROM and found another one. This time I installed via nexus toolkit (as I couldnt really start my phone that well).
Now I am not sure what happened exactly. I followed all the instructions and now it seems to have replaced clockwork mod with TWPR which is fine by me but I don't know where/how this happened. In fact both seem to be installed, if I reboot to bootloader I still get clockwork mod.
Now I seem to have several (0) directories in different places. I am not sure if they are all copies or links to the same place though. Neither TWPR not clockwork seem to be able to find the right folders and I seem to have lost all my titanium backups etc. in the move.
I now have:
/storage/emulated/0
/storage/emulated/0/0
/storage/emulated/legacy/0
/storage/sdcard0/0
/storage/sdcard0/0/0

In Astro it says I have Local Storage 1, 2, 3 4 Local storage1 = /mnt/shell/emulated which is empty

Can anyone help me sort out this mess?

I think once I have sorted that all out then 4.2 is looking like the best ever.

Oh did I mention that finally bluetooth seems to work perfectly. It disconnects and connects perfectly every time now!

Did you ever get this figured out ?

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
The duplicated directory structure in dir (0) got sorted out when astro file manager et all got updated to deal with this situation.
I was able to correctly locate the origiginal dir and the new one and combine all the files together just fine.
Bluetooth is still working great though I read about problems with bluetooth on 4.2 I am not sure what they are. The only problem I have at least on this ROM is that bluetooth hangs when you try to switch it off.. I have to reboot in order to switch bluetooth off properly.
I am not really sure which recovery I have running now. I am not quite sure what happened to TWPR, clockwork seems to be the default again now. not quite sure how to remove one and keep the other.
Other than that all is great. Dont really see any need to upgrade in the the near or even fairly distant feature.. until Key Lime pie comes out at least. It seems to me that it's starting to get harder for Google to come out with new stuff for Android as it is just getting better and better.
The only thing I do find as with windows is that Android does bog down after a while of use. I start off with the same suite of apps each time and the phone flies then over time the phone starts getting slower and more unreliable. The camera used to be super fast but not seems to take longer to do anything and more jerky.

azdrifter

Reaction score
The duplicated directory structure in dir (0) got sorted out when astro file manager et all got updated to deal with this situation.
I was able to correctly locate the origiginal dir and the new one and combine all the files together just fine.
Bluetooth is still working great though I read about problems with bluetooth on 4.2 I am not sure what they are. The only problem I have at least on this ROM is that bluetooth hangs when you try to switch it off.. I have to reboot in order to switch bluetooth off properly.
I am not really sure which recovery I have running now. I am not quite sure what happened to TWPR, clockwork seems to be the default again now. not quite sure how to remove one and keep the other.
Other than that all is great. Dont really see any need to upgrade in the the near or even fairly distant feature.. until Key Lime pie comes out at least. It seems to me that it's starting to get harder for Google to come out with new stuff for Android as it is just getting better and better.
The only thing I do find as with windows is that Android does bog down after a while of use. I start off with the same suite of apps each time and the phone flies then over time the phone starts getting slower and more unreliable. The camera used to be super fast but not seems to take longer to do anything and more jerky.

I noticed that the same thing happens with all of my droid phones they start to slow down after a while of use, I have found lately that by wiping the Dalvik cache it runs good again and I don't have to worry about re-installing any apps or anything like that.