How do you copy SD Card to PC?

nateccnn

Reaction score
I have tried copying files through Windows Explorer via USB Cable...I tried moving them wirelessly through ES Explorer to a shared LAN drive...I tried pushing through USB by ADB Command...I tried uploading to Dropbox...I tried the Bluetooth File Transfer app. Everything I try fails. ADB Push won't even begin the file transfers to the PC. Everything else begins but either times out or crashes about 10% of the way through the transfer. Any transfers I do get seem to take forever. It took just over 4 hours to upload over Wireless Lan through ES Explorer just 2 GB of data. I have 28 GB on the SDCard emulation.

Is there some app or utility I can use to backup my SDCard contents to my PC so I can format this thing and start all over again. Seems that during the installation of 4.2 I ended up with several layers of /0 directories and multiple instances of files and directories that are identical...burning up some valuable space on the SDCard. Just want o clean things up a bit. But want to back up before doing so.

Nate

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Nate,

I'm not an expert but I have used ADB to get files from my phone (nandroids and my Titanium Backup folder) to my PC plenty of times. I am going to assume that you have had ADB working with your PC before and that "Android Debugging" is checked under your Developer options in Settings.

Does your PC connected to your GN by USB cable, see your GN when you type "ADB devices" (without quotes)? If so, you should be able to "ADB Pull" the files to whatever PC folder location that you desire. You will need to make sure the paths after ADB Pull for the GN (first path) and PC (second path) are typed correctly. \ for the directory on the phone and / for directory on the PC.

I haven't installed 4.2 but have read of the instances of the multiple directory 0 problem. You might look on some of the forums as to what others are doing about that.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Try AirDroid.

Though another method you can try is uninstalling any Samsung drivers and then reinstalling them by plugging the phone back in.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I had the same problem! It was because of the drivers check your device manager in the control panel if there's an exclamation point on the nexus device: uninstall the device, unplug the phone from the computer then head over to Samsung's website and download the drivers. It should resolve the issue then plug and go.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
I reinstalled the drivers...no go. Used Wuggs toolkit to uninstall and then reinstall. Still no go. Actually got adb tools to say "pulling from /sdcard" using Wuggs toolkit, but no files came over. Noticed Wugg has an updated toolkit so downloading it now. Will try again in the morning.

Nate

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Try a software like driver sweeper. Also did you make sure to restart once you uninstall then reinstall the driver

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Finally got it done last night. Had to copy one directory at a time. Used PDANet drivers instead of Samsung drivers but not even sure if that was part of the solution.

Once I got my files off the sdcard I formatted sdcard using cwm recovery. Copied everything back...after reorganizing it...and now using half the space as before. Phone access sdcard faster too now...like camera and gallery.

Nate

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Finally got it done last night. Had to copy one directory at a time. Used PDANet drivers instead of Samsung drivers but not even sure if that was part of the solution.

Once I got my files off the sdcard I formatted sdcard using cwm recovery. Copied everything back...after reorganizing it...and now using half the space as before. Phone access sdcard faster too now...like camera and gallery.

Nate
Glad to hear you got it working. PDAnet does have drivers that work, initially I used those drivers for my Nexus as well.

JimShorts

Reaction score

Nate

You have given me a nice idea over here. Thanks friend.