Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich Updates Status by Manufacturer

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
phonearena-update-chart.JPG

PhoneArena compiled a listing of manufacturers' stances on the Android 4.0/ Ice Cream Sandwich updates. Apparently some of the Android OEMs are hesitant or non-committal on the ICS front. Here's a summary below, and a small chart above with a few specific devices:
  • 1. LG = "...currently in the process of planning the ICS OS update for the LG Optimus 2X as well as other LG high-end smartphones."
  • 2. HTC = "...has been looking closely at the new OS's features and functionality to determine our upgrade plans. Our goal is to upgrade as many HTC devices as possible and we'll be sharing details on specific devices and timing in the coming weeks!"
  • 3. Samsung = Of course they are getting it first on the Galaxy Nexus, but they plan on bringing ICS to all their top-tier Android smartphones, including probably last year's Galaxy S variants. This makes sense considering how closely they have worked with Google on this.
  • 4. Motorola = As we reported previously, Moto plans to start rolling out the ICS update approximately six weeks after it is initially launched. It also isn't surprising that Moto could roll this out this quickly, since they are about to be acquired by Google themselves.
  • 5. Sony Ericsson = Sony has been fairly concrete on insisting that they intend to upgrade their entire Xperia lineup to ICS, but they have been very vague on a time-frame.
From looking at the chart, it appears that only Motorola devices give us any kind of definitive time-frame to hope for. We will keep you apprised as we find out more.

Source: PhoneArena

Last edited:

WarMachin3

Reaction score
I had read earlier that Droid 3 was gonna be one of the first 4 moto phones to get it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
What does LG consider high end? To my knowledge they got two in the USA with the bulk in SK.

Mortalys77

Reaction score
Moto plans to start rolling out the ICS update six weeks after it it initially launched.

Not what they said at all. They said they would give a more accurate time by 6 weeks after ICS launches.

sarreq

Reaction score
No droid 3 on there.... :( sigh. I freaking hate my phone
where did you see a list of specific models?
sorry, missed the photo at the top. it's really turning out like moto is treating the d3 like the red eyed cycloptic step-child of the family, ain't it.

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had read earlier that Droid 3 was gonna be one of the first 4 moto phones to get it.

My guess would be the D3 and the Bionic see it within days of one another, if not at the same time. Reason why? The D3 and the Bionic run almost the same darn ROM.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
where did you see a list of specific models?
sorry, missed the photo at the top. it's really turning out like moto is treating the d3 like the red eyed cycloptic step-child of the family, ain't it.

A lot of phones aren't getting ICS l love. T-Bolt, Charge, X2.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

patriot95

Reaction score
A lot of phones aren't getting ICS l love. T-Bolt, Charge, X2.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This list isn't complete. At all. So i wouldn't worry yet. Both the Transformer and Transformer Prime have already commited to upgrading to ICS. I'm sure there are many phone left off the list or simply without an "official" announcement yet.

tommyz

Reaction score
Too Bad... I was hoping there would be a little love for this Thunderbolt...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not what they said at all. They said they would give a more accurate time by 6 weeks after ICS launches.

True, and even when Moto puts it out, which could be a couple months after Google releases it, it will likely take VZW another few months to put the update out. Look at the TBolt. It got GB finally, very recently, right before ICS is slated to drop.