Android 2.3 is finally out will there be a custom rom for the Droid X

lilgotti56

Reaction score
Sorry if I am so anxious but is there any developers out there working on a custom rom for the Droid x

XDRDX

Reaction score
This will likely not occur until motorola releases the kernel for 2.3 or there is a leak of it. The reason is we cannot change the kernel since we have a locked bootloader, it doesn't play well when we do.

I expect Motorola will be working on a 2.3 rom though and once it is leaked then we will begin getting roms for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Heh, all these ROMs got people forgetting we have a locked bootloader.

Don't expect a 2.3 kernel anytime soon.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's the truth though. You bought into a phone with a locked bootloader, so you deal with it and wait. Nothing more you can do.

kennydied23

Reaction score
Yeah the locked bootloaders a punch in the stomach. I could see having a mash up of froyo and gingerbread in a single rom possibly but not the whole gingerbread

millbean

Reaction score
Yeah the locked bootloaders a punch in the stomach. I could see having a mash up of froyo and gingerbread in a single rom possibly but not the whole gingerbread

off the topic . but with 3g disabled will it still receive notifications?

Raptor007

Reaction score
I agree, we all knew what we were buying (locked bootloader), but the next super nice 4.3" display Droid phone may not be Moto's we just have to wait and see.

In the meantime there is lots of customizing that can be done with the current 2.3.340 and above. Of course its easy for me since I have no idea what it takes, but we also know we have excellent ROM builders and hackers on our side.

Aram58

Reaction score
What about og d1? Anybody working on that?

Sent from my stunning rooted droid using tapatalk.

mjsplicer78

Reaction score
I was completely new to Android when I bought my X, so I didn't know what a pain in the @zz a locked down bootloader would be. I have several friends that have unlocked phones (new My Touch 4G, and OG Droid), and the ROMS and updates just come easier for them. There are definitely aspect of te X i like, but if it's not locked down I will be gettign the Incred HD when it launches, and this phone will be on ebay or craigslist. Moto gained respect with the D1 and then flushed it all down the toilet after that. i do want to give my thanx to al dev who have been trying their best and giving us as much greatness as they can for the X tho

oldblue

Reaction score
I was completely new to Android when I bought my X, so I didn't know what a pain in the @zz a locked down bootloader would be. I have several friends that have unlocked phones (new My Touch 4G, and OG Droid), and the ROMS and updates just come easier for them. There are definitely aspect of te X i like, but if it's not locked down I will be gettign the Incred HD when it launches, and this phone will be on ebay or craigslist. Moto gained respect with the D1 and then flushed it all down the toilet after that. i do want to give my thanx to al dev who have been trying their best and giving us as much greatness as they can for the X tho

agree completely. Contrary to what other people have said, I did more with my D1 than I can do with my DX. It's a shame.

doomgazer

Reaction score
Don't expect the vendor lock-down to change much. The unfortunate thing is these phones are designed to sell to the masses who ooh and aah over the oh shiny! aspect of the phones and could care less about custom ROMs or themes.

What would be ideal is for a company to produce a handset that comes in GSM and CDMA flavors, is not branded by the carrier and is completely unlocked. It would be a phone marketed for those of us that like to tinker and customize and not marketed by the carrier itself. We can dream, can't we?

droydhead

Reaction score
By the time I'm ready for my upgrade from my DX, I bet all phones will be on lock down.