And this is why we freeze, and not uninstall

AceDROID

Reaction score
Okay. So here's the story. I got my droid 4 on Friday. My girlfriend got hers right before mine (we went together). Hers, when activating, had no issues. My phone out of the box had a hard time connecting to data (3G/4G) while hers went straight to 4G. Took almost 10 minutes for the phone to connect.

I asked the guy if we could just switch my phone with another one out back since it clearly was having issues. He said "its not that easy". Finally, the data connected.

Now, he told me if I keep experiencing data loss, than I can get the phone swapped out. Here it is Tuesday, and I'm still experiencing it. Well Saturday came, we had root, so of course I rooted the phone so I could get rid of the bloatware apps. Using titanium backup, is backed up ten apps, and instead of freezing them, I uninstalled them.

Now I'm trying to reinstall them so I can unroot the phone to get a new one, and 2 of the 10 refuse to install. It just hangs. I've tried rebooting the phone and get nowhere. One has actually said its been restoring for the past 25 minutes. MusicStore and Mobile Hotspot refuse to reinstall, doing the same thing, hanging until I reboot.

And let's not even get started on not being able to unroot using the program that was listed in these forums.. that just hangs too, with no activity showing on the phone. Does anyone have any ideas? I want to get this done and over with in the next 3 hours, so I don't have to wait until tomorrow. Help, please?

a6f80004-99dc-12f7.jpg

You can see here that the length of time from when it started to now is ridiculous.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to "reinstall" them. You should just place them in the /system area, and change the permissions and reboot.

AFAIK anyways.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

ablank

Reaction score
You're gonna have to wait for a fastboot file or system ROM so you can sbf with rsd lite. Unless you can find the apks of all the system apps you deleted. Always freeze.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
AceDROID

AceDROID

Reaction score
You're gonna have to wait for a fastboot file or system ROM so you can sbf with rsd lite. Unless you can find the apks of all the system apps you deleted. Always freeze.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I really hope not.

You shouldn't have to "reinstall" them. You should just place them in the /system area, and change the permissions and reboot.

AFAIK anyways.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

Going to try that now, as I found them in the backups folder, hoping this works..

And of course that didn't. I keep trying to install the apk's directly and I keep getting the "application not installed" screen. UGH. you think they would notice if I managed to unroot and bring the device in?

OP
AceDROID

AceDROID

Reaction score
Well, I decided to say screw it and I managed to unroot the phone. Just going to bring it to Verizon and gt it swapped out, hopefully they don't realize those to programs are nowhere to be found. haha.

kbeefy

Reaction score
I'm having the same trouble restoring the Calendar app, if I don't hear from Titanium today I'll try exchanging it @ Verizon tommorow. Good Luck!

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Glad I read the horror stories of uninstalling before I did what comes natural with my computers when I first get them LOL

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
AceDROID

AceDROID

Reaction score
Yeah verizon took it back no questions asked. They didn't even like test it, which makes me think that it doesn't matter that I unrooted it. Brought the new one home and rooted it and froze up the apps I don't want. Good to go!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

hashbaz83

Reaction score
I have replaced rooted phones 4 times over the last 3 years. Most verizon sales reps know less about my phone then I do when I go in and even the ones that do don't check anything.

One of the times I went in I was flaunting a feature my rooted phone had right in front of the rep's face and he thought it was awesome and then replaced my phone anyways,

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They'll probably just SBF it and put it back out on the shelf. :p

Maybe some do. My rep told me all returned phones (I was exchanging the Nexus) go refurb for warranty replacement. They cannot sell/re-sell a returned phone, for whatever the reason, new. This, of course, makes sense. At least for corporate stores - I'm sure some 3rd party stores cut corners.