Amazon's Kindle app coming to Android

pbdroid

Reaction score
A friend of mine has the Kindle app on her IPuke. She doesn't own a Kindle and downloaded the app from the apple market. If my memory is serving me correctly, I think it was $4.99.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
A friend of mine has the Kindle app on her IPuke. She doesn't own a Kindle and downloaded the app from the apple market. If my memory is serving me correctly, I think it was $4.99.

The Kindle app is free for the Ipad and Iphone. I would assume the Android version will be as well.

watersrules

Reaction score
you don't need the actual Kindle to use the apps.. I had it on my Storm and loved it, have it on the home PC and laptop as well, and all I've paid for are books. I've been pissed that it wasn't in the Android Market, glad to see its on its way!! Also, the small screen isn't a big deal, the shorter pages keep me focused. FBReader has been nice, but I need more selection of books..

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not too excited about this cuz I already have many books to read through the aldiko app. I set it to black background with green text. Easy on the eyes, probably uses a little less battery. For any that don't know, get aldiko from the android market. Tons of free reading.

doublejack

Reaction score
The primary driver behind this project is Dell's line of tablets that is set to be released in the next month or two. The first will be the Mini 5. Dell's tablets will be running the Android OS, so Amazon had to port their Kindle software over. At that point, why not roll it out to phones, too?

My biggest reservation about reading on my Droid is that I need my phone for calls and such. The display is a battery hog, relatively speaking, so I'd hate to run my battery down from reading and then be low on juice for more important things. If the app is free I'll definitely download it. Not sure how much I'll actually use it, though.

Dankinia

Reaction score
I love reading on my Kindle and an app for my Droid will be an added bonus for the times when I don't have my Kindle with me.

brando56894

Reaction score
Awesome, I dont do much reading on my droid but its nice to have the ability. I have Aldiko installed but theres not a lot of titles on there that are current.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Kinda surprised this didn't happen sooner as the Kindle uses linux. Oh well still excited for it!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

armeddroid

Reaction score
I use Aldiko and Laputa II...for my book readers.
Kindle would be nice to have due to the wide selection of books.
Reading on the phone is not bad but i cant stay on it too long, **** gives me a headache.
lol

waltwhitman

Reaction score

Amazon has announced that it will soon be porting it's popular Kindle App to the Android platform. The new Android book reader will also allow you to preview, and purchase books directly from Amazon’s Kindle bookstore all from the comfort of your Droid. While having the ability to run this app on an Android phone is nice, I think Amazon has another agenda and preparing for the release of many Android Tablets expected to launch later this year. Some of the features of the Kindle App will include:

very cool :)

AltimateJP

Reaction score
Oh this just made my night complete! I have the Kindle app on my iTouch and loved it. HBut I've been weaning myself off of the iTouch since I got my Droid, and the Kindle app for Android was one of the big pieces I have been missing.

REMilk

Reaction score
I already ready "Kindle" books on my Droid.

A Kindle app will be much better than the 'conversion' of Kindle content so that I can read these books on my Droid.

solar

Reaction score
I actually like reading on mydroid a lot! I still prefer paper books, but having a book with me at all times is great. I havent run into any issues with headaches or eye strain. Though, the longest i've read at a time is prob about 45 mins to an hour. I currently use eBook Reader Pro (available from free from their site). being able to change the font type and size as well as the background is awesome and works very well

Ludalee

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been repeated, I'm a little bit of a newb on some things. I see some App's in the market place that are Audio books...What I'm looking to do is listen to books with my Aux plug in for my car ride to/from work. I don't know how to get the books onto my phone...I'd appriciate some helpful tips.

Thanks in advance.