Amazon MP3 Player will not register

superj42

Reaction score
Got my new MAXX last night, but when I tried to use the Amazon MP3 player, it won't work.
I get the following error:

Error

The specified device could not be authenticated. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact Amazon customer service.

Exception #100

I went through the song and dance with Amazon, which seemed to be an exercise in futility. They had to escalate the my case to the engineering team.

When the error appears, you can only press "Ok", but the app promptly closes, so you can't access the menu, or anything else associated with the app.

Has anyone else encountered this and had it corrected successfully?

Xandict

Reaction score
Got my new MAXX last night, but when I tried to use the Amazon MP3 player, it won't work.

Error

The specified device could not be authenticated. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact Amazon customer service.

Exception #100

I went through the song and dance with Amazon, which seemed to be an exercise in futility. They had to escalate the my case to the engineering team.

When the error appears, you can only press "Ok", but the app promptly closes, so you can't access the menu, or anything else associated with the app.

I'm having the same problem with the Droid Maxx I received last night

daca1001

Reaction score
I have the same issue. When I click on the app is when I get the error. I guess without root I can't remove the app software. Hiding it does nothing.

donzz

Reaction score
That's weird because mine works. I never had and issues.

daca1001

Reaction score
Issue Resolved for me

After working with Amazon on this yesterday without any resolution, I got an email today for their tech support with some other things to try. Well the second option worked for me. Below is options 1 (may work for you...did not for me) and options 2 (worked for me). I now have access to my Amazon MP3 account on my MAXX.

Option 1:

Here are the resolution provided by our Technical Team:

Please to try the below steps:
1. Go to the Android Settings->Accounts
2. Remove the Amazon account
3. Clear the cache of the MP3 app
4. Reboot the device
5. Open the MP3 app and try signing in

OPTION 2:

But if device has per-installed amazon widget that has properties that affect MP3 app, please perform the following steps:
1. Go to Android Settings,
2. Then Go to Accounts section,
3. Select Amazon Account
4. Remove the Account. (Rebooted my device even thought the instructions did not request it).
5. Go to Home Screen, Remove the widget from Home screen. (I disabled the Amazon MP3 and the Amazon App clearing the cache and data too on both)
5b) Reboot Cell Phone
6. Then Go to Apps section
7. Pull the Amazon MP3 widget to home screen.
8. Now Splash screen will be available.
9. Click Device button.
10.Follow instruction on Sign in Activity.

Hope this helps

donzz

Reaction score
I have bought over $100 worth of songs on Amazon and it would absolutely suck if I couldn't get it to work. I really am wondering why mine worked fine and yours didn't. Oh well, I'm really glad you got it to work!

daca1001

Reaction score
I have bought over $100 worth of songs on Amazon and it would absolutely suck if I couldn't get it to work. I really am wondering why mine worked fine and yours didn't. Oh well, I'm really glad you got it to work!

I hear ya. I have about that much myself. I was pissed when it was not working. Just a guess on my part, I think it had something to do with Amazon thinking I had 10 devices already (max allowed) associated with my Amazon MP3 account and I was adding the MAXX. Which btw, I do not, I only have 3 devices including my MAXX. I think they cleared my devices count and was able to log back in.

Also, I need to clarify something with OPTION 2, after step 5b, (reboot your phone), you need to enable the App (Amazon MP3), before you can bring it to your home screen

donzz

Reaction score
You may have a point. I just cleared all of my devices a month ago. But I do have a lot of devices, between my laptop, desktop, desktop at work, computer in my pole barn, Droid Bionic and now my Droid Maxx. The only reason I cleared them all and started over was because my computer in my pole barn broke. I believe I read on Amazon's website that you can clear all of your devices once per year.

donzz

Reaction score

Error

Exception #100

Did you get yours working?

melfunn

Reaction score
You may have a point. I just cleared all of my devices a month ago. But I do have a lot of devices, between my laptop, desktop, desktop at work, computer in my pole barn, Droid Bionic and now my Droid Maxx. The only reason I cleared them all and started over was because my computer in my pole barn broke. I believe I read on Amazon's website that you can clear all of your devices once per year.

Had the same problem. Try this: Settings, Accounts & if Amazon is listed as one of your accts., remove it. Worked for me.
Edit: Now I can't sign in. Cleared all devices on Amazon Web side. No luck. Same error message.
Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4
2nd edit: I think I fixed it. In settings/accounts, remove Amazon. In settings/apps, clear cache in both amazon & amazon mp3. Reboot & sign in to Amazon mp3. I was able to sign in with no error message.

OP
S

superj42

Reaction score
Finally...

Did you get yours working?

I finally was able to register my device. It was odd since I had 5 spots left when checking my list of authorized devices, via computer.
Anyway, I removed the Amazon widget from the home screen, I cleared all data/cache from ALL of the Amazon apps I had, rebooted phone and launched the MP3 player.
I was able to successfully login and then register the device.
Thanks to all the posters for getting me on the right track even though the process to get my phone to work was a bit different.
Your help was much appreciated!! :)

manthas

Reaction score
Having the same problem here; I have tried all of the solutions posted in this thread, and so far no luck. I am on the phone with Amazon Customer Service now. I tried their online chat system yesterday, and they gave me one of the two processes outlined earlier. This is getting very frustrating as I have purchased quite a bit of music through Amazon, and it's ridiculous that a pre-installed app would not function correctly.

P.S. Currently on the phone with a second line manager who is attempting to get an actual technician on the phone; he has reported that this is a known issue right now, but they currently do not have a solution. I don't know if it is isolated to just the Droid MAXX / Ultra / Mini devices that have these apps pre-installed, or if it is a wider issue. I will try to keep this thread updated with my findings, but I've got to get to work soon.

melfunn

Reaction score
Having the same problem here; I have tried all of the solutions posted in this thread, and so far no luck. I am on the phone with Amazon Customer Service now. I tried their online chat system yesterday, and they gave me one of the two processes outlined earlier. This is getting very frustrating as I have purchased quite a bit of music through Amazon, and it's ridiculous that a pre-installed app would not function correctly.

P.S. Currently on the phone with a second line manager who is attempting to get an actual technician on the phone; he has reported that this is a known issue right now, but they currently do not have a solution. I don't know if it is isolated to just the Droid MAXX / Ultra / Mini devices that have these apps pre-installed, or if it is a wider issue. I will try to keep this thread updated with my findings, but I've got to get to work soon.

Did you try: Settings/Accounts delete Amazon; Settings/Apps clear cache in both Amazon & Amazon mp3?

manthas

Reaction score
Did you try: Settings/Accounts delete Amazon; Settings/Apps clear cache in both Amazon & Amazon mp3?

Hi melfunn,

As I stated in my original reply, I have tried all of the solutions posted earlier in this thread - including that one. I am still awaiting a response from Amazon's actual technicians, rather than their offshored first line customer service.