Amazon MP3 Player will not register

skaterdroid

Reaction score
Hi! I got my new Maxx last week and with all your helpful posts I was able to finally get my cloud to register!! What worked for me was to clear the data in EVERY amazon app on the phone. I guess I should go check my other Amazon apps now to see if they are working because my Kindle has worked all along. Thanks for all your help! P.S. Kindle works still.

manthas

Reaction score
Finally got mine working, through no help of Amazon's. I had tried what was outlined earlier in multiple iterations and variations. Stopped the apps, cleared cache and data, rebooted phone, removed Amazon account from phone accounts, all to no avail. However, while I was in the process of literally disabling every single Amazon app, I went into Settings -> Apps -> All, and there is ANOTHER Amazon app there that has nothing to do with any of the Amazon apps in the app drawer. I stopped that one, cleared its data, and THEN re-enabled the MP3 app; at this point I was able to sign in and register my device correctly to my account.

I strongly suspect the key is this hidden Amazon service level app that is actually causing the problems, since on any other non-Amazon branded device, the Amazon account does not write itself into your phone's account settings. This is a super ugly one, to be sure. I am supposed to be getting a call from Motorola tomorrow morning about this issue as well, and I will be sure to inform them of this as well.

Good luck all!

donzz

Reaction score
I'm glad everyone got it to work! Odd that I never had any issues like that and it worked right from the get go.

baksha

Reaction score
I went into Settings -> Apps -> All, and there is ANOTHER Amazon app there that has nothing to do with any of the Amazon apps in the app drawer.

What was the name of this other Amazon app? My phone lists "Amazon" & "Amazon Kindle" under the downloaded apps list, and VZW ships it with a system-level "Amazon MP3" app that is only listed under the all apps list. I have removed my Amazon account, then cleared the cache & data of all three Amazon apps and rebooted, I still get the same error when I try to log in.

Amazon's site says I have only one device registered to my account, this one, which is correct. So I haven't hit a max number of devices limit. And since VZW made this a permanent app that I can't just uninstall and re-install when it doesn't work right, I don't know what more to try.

One weird thing, if I click Cloud in the MP3 app, I see the list of albums I've bought in the background, then the popup comes up over them, and I click OK and the app closes. So it clearly registers and logs in to my account. Kindle works just fine, so does the Amazon shopping app.

baksha

Reaction score
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear: Amazon MP3 has the same problem on my Droid Maxx that everyone else has had. I tried the fixes listed here and they did not work for me. I also have Amazon shopping and Amazon Kindle apps which work fine, I do not have the Amazon Appstore app. I am wondering what the "other Amazon app" that manthas mentioned is actually named, as I didn't see anything in my "all" apps list that said Amazon, other than those previously mentioned.

manthas

Reaction score
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear: Amazon MP3 has the same problem on my Droid Maxx that everyone else has had. I tried the fixes listed here and they did not work for me. I also have Amazon shopping and Amazon Kindle apps which work fine, I do not have the Amazon Appstore app. I am wondering what the "other Amazon app" that manthas mentioned is actually named, as I didn't see anything in my "all" apps list that said Amazon, other than those previously mentioned.

Hey Baksha,

The app I was referring to is just called "Amazon", and does not have the same icon as any of the installed application level apps. It is a black background with white and orange writing. I had the exact same issue you are describing, and until I stopped that app, and cleared its data and cache, I was unable to get things cleared. The exact process I went through that finally worked was:

1. Go into accounts on phone, and delete the Amazon account there
2. Disable all pre-installed Amazon apps, including Amazon Mobile, Amazon MP3, and Amazon Kindle.
3. Go into Settings -> Apps -> All
4. Force stop the afore mentioned Amazon system level app
5. Clear its data and cache
6. Now go back into the Amazon MP3 app, and re-register
7. Once this is functional again, then you can re-enable and re-update the other Amazon apps

Amazon has no idea what is actually causing the issue, and is not interested in addressing it, otherwise they would attempt to interact with the people reporting the issue. Perhaps if enough folks reported it to Motorola, they could put some serious pressure on Amazon to get things figured out.

droiduser360

Reaction score
Hey Baksha,

The app I was referring to is just called "Amazon", and does not have the same icon as any of the installed application level apps. It is a black background with white and orange writing. I had the exact same issue you are describing, and until I stopped that app, and cleared its data and cache, I was unable to get things cleared. The exact process I went through that finally worked was:

2. Disable all pre-installed Amazon apps, including Amazon Mobile, Amazon MP3, and Amazon Kindle.
7. Once this is functional again, then you can re-enable and re-update the other Amazon apps

Amazon has no idea what is actually causing the issue, and is not interested in addressing it, otherwise they would attempt to interact with the people reporting the issue. Perhaps if enough folks reported it to Motorola, they could put some serious pressure on Amazon to get things figured out.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! After 3 weeks of frustration working with Amazon, my Amazon mp3 player now works! Thank you so much for your solution. You are a life (or music, at least) saver. I can't believe the idiots at Amazon. They couldn't figure this out!?

baksha

Reaction score
Hey Baksha,

Awesome, this worked perfectly! Thank you for the detailed instructions!

Edit: if anyone else is following these instructions, if you've never disabled an app before, it moves to the bottom of the "All" apps list. It took me a second to find the ones I'd disabled.