.mp3 ringtone/music player problem

antwonjenkins

Reaction score
So I flashed Liberty1.5 onto my friends X and everything works awesome except when he tries to play any mp3 file it gives him a; can not play, specified file type not supported, error. I tried flashing the music mod and fixing permissions and everything else I can think of with no luck. I tried reinstalling Liberty1.5 and got the same results. What is really weird though is, I downloaded PowerAmp from the marketplace and all the songs play absolutely fine through it. Although with PowerAmp installed and everything the other music players still will not work. PowerAmp solves the listening to music issue I guess but he still can not set custom mp3 ringtones b/c they aren't "recognized" so it's just silent. I told him it was probably something extremely simple that we've just overlooked but after browsing a couple forums I still couldn't find anything . Anyone else having similar issues? Any help or clue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time anyway.

bluskyline21

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. The only difference is that I couldn't play ANY media, except the stuff that came w/the phone (system tones). I switched players, nothing. I found out (oddly) that it was my SDcard. It was corrupted and corrupted my phone and made it unable to play any media. It happened after I got a 32gb from ebay (lesson learned).

I hadn't had ANY probs with it before that. I reflashed the sbf, the rom, everything to no avail. I got a new phone and had the same issues with that card ANd when I put my stock 16gb in. I even tried the card in a friend's phone. Certain folders weren't showing. I knew it was fishy, so I went to VZW and sure enough...bad card. Reformatted the 16gb and tested it...success!

Long story short: A bad card CAN corrupt your phone and make any media from there on out, unreadable. It could work fine at first and then just stop..now I only buy from retail chains (bestbuy, radio shack, etc) Haven't had any problems since..

Reaction score
Sounds more like a glitch to me. When you installed you wiped data/cache/dalvik right?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

JkdJedi

Reaction score
So I flashed Liberty1.5 onto my friends X and everything works awesome except when he tries to play any mp3 file it gives him a; can not play, specified file type not supported, error. I tried flashing the music mod and fixing permissions and everything else I can think of with no luck. I tried reinstalling Liberty1.5 and got the same results. What is really weird though is, I downloaded PowerAmp from the marketplace and all the songs play absolutely fine through it. Although with PowerAmp installed and everything the other music players still will not work. PowerAmp solves the listening to music issue I guess but he still can not set custom mp3 ringtones b/c they aren't "recognized" so it's just silent. I told him it was probably something extremely simple that we've just overlooked but after browsing a couple forums I still couldn't find anything . Anyone else having similar issues? Any help or clue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time anyway.
Unmount the card in settings and then do a reboot, you then will have to check all your prior settings and set them again or calls will be SILENT. (man was the wife pissed)

OP
antwonjenkins

antwonjenkins

Reaction score
yes I when I installed, I installed through Recovery and did a Factory Wipe, went into partition and formatted Boot and System all 3 times to make sure everything was clear.

Reaction score
yes I when I installed, I installed through Recovery and did a Factory Wipe, went into partition and formatted Boot and System all 3 times to make sure everything was clear.

Have you tried what JkdJedi posted?

Unmount the card in settings and then do a reboot, you then will have to check all your prior settings and set them again or calls will be SILENT. (man was the wife pissed)

OP
antwonjenkins

antwonjenkins

Reaction score

Have you tried what JkdJedi posted?

I have not been able to try it yet but as soon as I do I will definitely let you guys know and how er what did it.

OP
antwonjenkins

antwonjenkins

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. The only difference is that I couldn't play ANY media, except the stuff that came w/the phone (system tones). I switched players, nothing. I found out (oddly) that it was my SDcard. It was corrupted and corrupted my phone and made it unable to play any media. It happened after I got a 32gb from ebay (lesson learned).

I hadn't had ANY probs with it before that. I reflashed the sbf, the rom, everything to no avail. I got a new phone and had the same issues with that card ANd when I put my stock 16gb in. I even tried the card in a friend's phone. Certain folders weren't showing. I knew it was fishy, so I went to VZW and sure enough...bad card. Reformatted the 16gb and tested it...success!

Long story short: A bad card CAN corrupt your phone and make any media from there on out, unreadable. It could work fine at first and then just stop..now I only buy from retail chains (bestbuy, radio shack, etc) Haven't had any problems since..

I still have not had time to try and fix my friend's problem, but if it were a corrupt card wouldn't that mean that the music wouldn't play no matter what? but since it plays in PowerAmp it leads me to believe the card is okay. (although I will still test this to make sure that is the case)

OP
antwonjenkins

antwonjenkins

Reaction score
So found out that the camera and youtube aren't working either. any clue? I flashed the Apex ROM on it and still same issues. anyone with a clue to what's going on? If not I plan to SBF'n it and then reflashing ROM. Any thoughts?

bluskyline21

Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of random issues. I would just sbf and clean install the rom again. If there's any data on there, be sure to back it up so u can restore it after. Sorry, can't think of anything else.

OP
antwonjenkins

antwonjenkins

Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of random issues. I would just sbf and clean install the rom again. If there's any data on there, be sure to back it up so u can restore it after. Sorry, can't think of anything else.

Okay got everything working again but listen to this. I SBFed it and it when it rebooted it was stock (as should be) but none of his apps or background or anything was deleted. So I Z4 rooted no problem and then went into ROM manager and flashed Liberty without backing up or wiping data and cache. The phone then bootlooped. I tried to reboot into recovery but only the stock recovery popped up giving me no option to restore a backup or install the ROM again. So I thought I'd have to SBF again. Last resort before that I figured I'd factory wipe it data and user data or whatever it says under stock recovery. Did a reboot and phone loaded perfectly with Liberty (except the spinning Liberty boot animation wasn't there. It was just a yellow bar that looked like it was loading. Anyway once it rebooted and he entered in his google stuff everything worked flawlessly (as I knew it should). Just thought it was weird that it took me wiping his user data before it finally decided to act right. Anyway thank you guys for all your input.