Alpharev S-off just dropped.......

Castro

Reaction score
lol Actually that was the first time I had tried it on this phone but I have done it on different phones...I even tried the volume up..

Castro

Reaction score
Oh I just realized why I needed to boot into recovery. I need to know my hboot version for the beta key, or are they all the same hboot?

NVM: Once the phone is recognized with the software, it shows your hboot version.

darinr80

Reaction score
Will rooting our phones prevent us from getting the VZW Gingerbread OTA update??

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Okay, y'all, I don't know if Windows is fixed yet. I did an Ubuntu Live CD. You run Ubuntu directly from the CD, no permanent install on the computer. Did that and ran the Linux version of the AlphaRevX and everything worked PERFECTLY! S-OFF achieved, rooted programs installed, everything is good to go.

Not sure about the OTA yet. On the old Inc, once you did the rooting, your phone wouldn't get the OTA's yet, but not sure in this case. I'm pretty sure once you install custom ROM's, you're in the clear.

I'll let you know more when I find out. So for now, run the Linux Live CD and you're good to go.

darinr80

Reaction score
Thank you. I ran it successfully from Ubuntu. Then recovery, then root. AWESOMENESS.

rudyutz

Reaction score
Okay, y'all, I don't know if Windows is fixed yet. I did an Ubuntu Live CD. You run Ubuntu directly from the CD, no permanent install on the computer. Did that and ran the Linux version of the AlphaRevX and everything worked PERFECTLY! S-OFF achieved, rooted programs installed, everything is good to go.

Not sure about the OTA yet. On the old Inc, once you did the rooting, your phone wouldn't get the OTA's yet, but not sure in this case. I'm pretty sure once you install custom ROM's, you're in the clear.

I'll let you know more when I find out. So for now, run the Linux Live CD and you're good to go.

Ok noob question. How do i do this and is there a video tutorial. Lastly, like darinr80 said will it prevent us from getting the update?

darinr80

Reaction score
From what I hear officially it will prevent the OTA update from Verizon for GB, BUT there will be unlocked ROM's built w/GB so that way you'll get root w/GB; best of both worlds. If you get the OTA update you lose root so you have to decide.

I didn't find a video tutorial but S off was easy in Linux, it was hard to get the recovery part...

joemustang

Reaction score
is this a one step root program or something? Such as, push start and it does everything for you , just like all those apps for the Original Droid that could root it for you?

xrp861

Reaction score
Would this work on an EVO? I just did the 2.3.3 Ota and it updated the hboot and what not and enrevoked hasn't found an exploit yet. I'm going thru flashing withdrawls plz help lol.

darinr80

Reaction score
If anyone wants, PM me or send your email address and I'll send you what I did to root. I used a Linux Live boot CD. Took me 10 minutes total to root the DINC 2.

nikecar

Reaction score
I'm just plain afraid of bricking this phone and then the wife, after beeing pissed I got in the first place, would be even more pissed I did this and bricked it.

So my options are:

1) do this and risk it
2) do the OTA and never be able to root again, on this phone.

decisions.

darinr80

Reaction score
nikecar - LOL my wife was pissed too-I too weighed the pros and cons and chose rooting because there will be custom ROMs built on the GB update so we'll have root AND GB then.

rudyutz

Reaction score
I did the S-Off. It worked, but when I clicked install clockworkmod recovery it didnt install it. I trie to do it manually, but I couldnt. Any one know how to do it?