Alphabet cutting back on Google fiber

BigOrangeDroid

Reaction score
Yeah, I was surprised to see that. Like you said, looks like they are telling their project leaders they've gotta make money or they're out, can't count on other divisions to cover your costs with their own cash.

Personally I think they should give it some more time. Everyone I know who comments on it say they'd love to have it. I know I would.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, but kind of hard to go in and pay all the start up fees for new tech while undercutting the competition. Of course att and the others are going to sit back and let Google wear itself out and then come in and finish the job at a cheaper deal while gouging customers.

It's a challenge to push future tech here in America because everyone wants to be paid high wages (including me) but no one wants to pay high prices. Something is going to have to give eventually.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A new development, looks like Google (cough Alphabet) will be handing out pink slips as Fiber has not got the traction they wanted. It's hard playing with the big boys in the industry and having to grease the palms of politicians. It is costly, and for Alphabet it is plain not worth the hassle anymore.

Looks like this may be good bye to Google Fiber, many of us never knew ye.

Even more sad for the workers who are about to be shown the door right before the holiday season.

Google Fiber will lay off employees as it shifts to wireless

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Installing fiber optic is a real pain in the ass, this is well documented. For the cost to give 50% of the US fiber it could reinvent wireless systems entirely with technology not even conceived yet that will have little if any installation costs at all.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
This is too bad, I have heard very good things about it, and was coming to SDiego soon.

Sent from my New Note 7