Project Ara may be getting shelved

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by pc747, Sep 2, 2016.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Now that Google has placed itself under a parent company, known as Alphabet, to oversee the entire operation. We are seeing Google.... correction Alphabet, clean up house and scale back on the programs not making the company money.

The next program to find its head on the chopping block is project Ara. Though we are seeing some of the fruits of Ara in the Moto G and LG G5, it looks as if it has not produced enough to justify the costs as Alphabet will be shelving the program.

Thoughts?

Source: http://goo.gl/00pWif

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Makes me sad, but I totally get it. While it'd be fun to tinker with, the concept isn't really all that practical to me.

Ara may have been more practical than what we're seeing from Moto and LG, because I see the Ara version as more of a product that's upgradable instead of something that you carry around new parts for just in case you need them. I feel like you'd leave the extra Ara parts at home and swap them more to keep the phone running in top shape with good specs than to have better speakers or a projector.

3. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    It's ashame really since it was pretty much complete last we heard. I can't help but wonder if the Project Ara devices that were released & beta tested in Puerto Rico had any impact with regards to Google's decision?
    We never really heard much about how this device was doing during this time and/or if it was even well received. Makes you wonder if it was a flop, or if there were underlying problems we weren't being made aware of during this test phase.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 2
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    • Like Like x 1