Aloha

Freelancer

Reaction score
Hi there everybody, not too sure what about me might be interesting to anyone here, but here's a few quick facts:

- I'm 27 and live in Honolulu
- I like the idea of using technology for what it CAN do versus what the manufacturers WANT you to do with it.
- As far as smartphones go, I've owned a Palm Treo, iPhone, iPhone 3G, and Moto Droid. And hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on the R2 Droid 2 in Sept.
- I jailbroke my iPhones, but was reluctant to root my Droid at first, intimidated at the thought, but am SO glad I did, and have this forum to thank for the instructions and helpfulness.

That's about it I guess - if you're in or around Honolulu, hit me up - don't know many other Android folk around here.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DF and Aloha. I never had an iPhone but maybe you can answer this...does a rooted Droid do more than a jailbroken iPhone can do?

My wife and I were married in Maui in 1998 - some day we'll be back.

OP
Freelancer

Freelancer

Reaction score
Maui, eh? IMO that's the best of the Islands. You should go back- I'm sure it'd earn some mega brownie points with your wife too.

As far as jailbreaking v. rooting, the last iPhone I jailbroke was the 3G, and in my experience the best things about it were being able to tether it and put on a few games I would never have bought. It's my understanding that jailbreaking essentially gains root to iOS, so without really knowing exactly how rooting or jailbreaking work, I'd have to guess that what's going on codewise and OS wise is pretty similar.

I'm still relatively new to rooting my Droid as well, but as far as "doing more" I think it's about equal, unless you count things like the video chat on iPhone4 (jailbreaking can let you use it over 3G, not just wifi).

I prefer rooting because of the ROMs - with jailbreaking pretty much you just download apps to customize and tweak stuff, while a lot of that is already done for you in a ROM. That being said too, loading a good stable ROM on my Droid feels better than jailbreaking and putting a bunch of apps that may or may not play nice together, if that makes sense.

If I had to give a one line answer I'd say that if all things were equal hardware-wise (processors, front-facing cameras, etc.) you'd be able to do the same things, just in slightly different ways.

...again, I'm no expert though, and know I don't know anything close to the true potentials of both rooting and jailbreaking.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome Rick. Glad you joined us.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hello Rick. Nice to have you aboard. As a new member, it's a good idea to peruse through the forum's "guidelines of conduct" *(link below in my signature - under the Android Professor). This way, you're sure to not make any silly mistakes.

You may find we're much more tolerant of things here than other forums - when it comes to asking questions and perhaps not being so good at searching for the answers yourself. However, we're possibly also less tolerant of other things like trolling and disrespect, as well as conduct unbecoming an adult in the presence of minors. A good portion of our membership is juveniles and we welcome them, so we ask that all members consider this a "family friendly" site and keep things PG at worst.

We love to have new members, whether they bring issues/concerns or solutions, so pull up a chair, jump in at whatever capacity you feel most comfortable and let's all learn and have fun together.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome aboard Rick...

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score