All me text messages disappeared overnight

reversetheriver

Reaction score
Just checking to see if this was a random glitch or something happening to others. I updated to froyo last week. I probably had about 20-25 ongoing txt msg threads that were there when I went to bed and then they all seemed to have deleted overnight.

p.s. typo in the title of this thread. "me" = "my". I don't usually speak pirate.

Last edited:

wgoeken

Reaction score
I don't have a phone with Sense UI, so this may be different for you, but it should get you going in the right direction:

In your text messaging settings, there is a maximum message limit. When that limit is reached, your read messages are deleted.

OP
R

reversetheriver

Reaction score
Hmmm, there is an option for "delete old messages", but it is not currently checked. Dang it!

CrimsonFrost

Reaction score
Weird! Mine just did the same thing! Like within the last hour or so. I checked my settings and mine are also set not to auto-delete, no idea what happened though. Do you use Handcent by chance?

OP
R

reversetheriver

Reaction score
I don't even know what Handcent is, so I'm going to say no. If this was not just a glitch, it would be nice if it would warn you somehow before deleting everything forever.

justiijust

Reaction score
I also just encountered this problem. I run stock messaging. My friend with a MOTO Droid advised me to uninstall ATk. anyone Have a solution?

BTMudd2001

Reaction score
Mine too!

The same exact thing happened to my Incredible today. I was texting around 12pm, and when i checked my phone at 3pm, all threads were gone. I also do not have it set to auto-delete.

bishoy

Reaction score
I had this same problem a long time ago. when i researched it, i was surprised to find that a lot of people using the android operating system are having this same problem. it is not specific to a certain model or any version of android.

Randomly deleting all my text messages? - Android Forums

All my text messages are being deleted randomly - Android Help

SECOND TIME ALL OF MY MESSAGES WERE DELETED!!! - Android Help

Re: Text messages deleted - Verizon Wireless Community

and no, the "Delete Old Messages" option is not the problem here. when people say their texts are deleted, they mean EVERYTHING. like, all the threads. no matter how big or small.

no one seems to know why and google doesnt seem to have fixed it yet

MadDean

Reaction score
I have just had this problem occur to my phone. It occured between midnight last night and 9:00 AM, as I just checked it.
I had recently changed the attachment setting for SMS messages to be stored onto my SD card instead of the phone's internal storage. Other than that, I know no other changes.
As much as I don't rely on SMS history for anything, I find the inconvenience quite aggravating and am looking into backup software for the future.

Sup Guys Yay

Reaction score
Hey. Registered just to post this.

So it's about 2am where I live. I was sending text messages at a bit past 8pm, and hadn't sent or received any since. About 10 minutes ago (1:50am-ish), while my phone was charging from a long day of love, blinked on and off twice. I didn't think anything of it--however, about a minute later I went to fetch something important from a text message, and ALL my texts were gone. So it had to have happened within the last 6 hours. I don't know of anything that could have triggered it. Very obnoxious!

I quickly Googled and found this page and immediately registered to post this.

Seeing as this is an official site, I assume our problem here will be noted and fixed in the future? Or am I being way too optimistic.. :p

And SMS Backup IS fantastic. I luckily only lost about 5 messages.

also, if it matters, I'm running Froyo on an Incredible.