Mysterious Draft Text Msg

nwhiting

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently had a drafted txt message on my droid that I never began to write ( I know this because I do not use txt msgs ) with the phone number filled in and a few random characters already entered into the msg.

I know that I have never seen this number before and wondering how it is possible that this was even in my phone, when nobody has had access to the phone but me.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently had a drafted txt message on my droid that I never began to write ( I know this because I do not use txt msgs ) with the phone number filled in and a few random characters already entered into the msg.

I know that I have never seen this number before and wondering how it is possible that this was even in my phone, when nobody has had access to the phone but me.

Not doubting you, but are you sure that Messaging didn't get opened by accident? Just tap on the message and hit the DEL button until the characters are all gone and the DRAFT designation will go away. If you want to get rid of the message altogether, just long press on it and the last option on the menu that appears will be 'Delete message'. Personally, I'd call the number just to see who it is, but then I'm the curious type... :biggrin: Hope that helps!

OP
N

nwhiting

Reaction score
Hello,

Not doubting you, but are you sure that Messaging didn't get opened by accident? Just tap on the message and hit the DEL button until the characters are all gone and the DRAFT designation will go away. If you want to get rid of the message altogether, just long press on it and the last option on the menu that appears will be 'Delete message'. Personally, I'd call the number just to see who it is, but then I'm the curious type... :biggrin: Hope that helps!

I have called the number and they don't want to tell me who they are ...

I know that the phone number is on Verizon and am currently awaiting on an email with the background check of the phone number ( name, address etc etc ... )

My concern here is that how did this get into my phone... and if this is some kind of crazy bug ( being a software developer myself, I'm not sure how it could be ) this would bring about privacy issues as my phone number has the ability to now mysteriously appear in someones driod...

I'll be contacting Verizon about this issue to see if I can get anywhere, but I have doubts about that.

hookerdj

Reaction score
mine has done the same thing...last night i also watched my phone sit there and open and close programs and go in and outta things in no specific order just random spooky things and no this is no april foools this is real...

OP
N

nwhiting

Reaction score
Is it possible that the number is either in you contacts or call log and through a series of coincidences (like buttons getting pushed in your pocket) you "wrote" the draft?

No its not, I don't carry my phone in my pocket for it's protection from keys, coins, lighter and I have never called this number, and they have never called me.

JimmyD

Reaction score
nwhiting....
Let us know what you find out. I hope that your phone number search does not turn up to be some kind of spam/hacker sort. That would be very disturbing news to find out if somehow a spammer could sign you up "remotely" to a chargeable text messaging service! :icon_eek:

mine has done the same thing...last night i also watched my phone sit there and open and close programs and go in and outta things in no specific order just random spooky things and no this is no april foools this is real...

hookerdj....
Are you using a generic phone charger? Do some searches on these forums. The actions you witnessed your phone performing ("random spooky things" aka open/closes, etc..) have been known to be caused by poorly-made/cheapo chargers! Something to do with how the power source is regulated and causing the Droid to go nutty, but only when plugged into these said cheapo chargers.

mantis5

Reaction score

Do you and/or the OP use aftermarket/3rd party wall chargers? These have been known to cause this kind of "phantom" operation.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Yes, the 3rd party charger issue is very likely the cause. I thought I'd save a few bucks with a cheap charger and watched as my phone went into a frenzy of opening apps and entering characters into text fields. totally bizzare but 100% related to the charger.

hookerdj

Reaction score
nwhiting....
Let us know what you find out. I hope that your phone number search does not turn up to be some kind of spam/hacker sort. That would be very disturbing news to find out if somehow a spammer could sign you up "remotely" to a chargeable text messaging service! :icon_eek:

hookerdj....
Are you using a generic phone charger? Do some searches on these forums. The actions you witnessed your phone performing ("random spooky things" aka open/closes, etc..) have been known to be caused by poorly-made/cheapo chargers! Something to do with how the power source is regulated and causing the Droid to go nutty, but only when plugged into these said cheapo chargers.

i use the one that came with my phone and a verizon car charger thats it