After market charger?

lestejm

Reaction score
The sales rep at the verizon store stressed the fact that you can't use after market chargers for the DROID which I don't believe. I figured as long as the charger had a built in IC chip to prevent overcharging it would be fine. I was looking at getting a usb cigarette lighter adapter, possibly the Belkin or one similar. Has anyone been using aftermarket chargers or had any problems with one? Thanks!

w3man

Reaction score
I am using an after market one in my car with a USB cigarette adapter and USB cord. No issues. (Just like plugging the USB into your computer)

Groucho

Reaction score
My wife has an LG phone and I can use her charger just fine

get quad

Reaction score
your verizon rep is just ignorant, I was sold a verizon-branded mini-usb wall and car charger when I went to pick mine up, no problems with either.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
I bought one(can't remember the name) at walgreens and i have to play with it to get a good connection so that the light in the plug goes on, letting me know it is charging. had no problems with my BB using the same brand of charger. im using the correct size plug(it come w a variety). don't know what that's all about.

soyboy

Reaction score
I have several Motorola branded chargers I purchased on ebay (2 car, 2 home) all for about $6/7 a piece with shipping. Don't know if they are actually Moto chargers (I suspect they might not be) but they work fine. I have purchased aftermarket chargers for years with no problems.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm using a RocketFish car charger for my Droid and haven't had any problems since the day the phone was released. Always assume that Verizon reps don't know what they are talking about because it tends to be true.

whiddles

Reaction score
they told me the same thing. saving the phones charge with different volts and wiring. they just want you to buy theirs

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Your rep is full of sh*t. You can power and charge your Droid with a plain USB to USB-Micro cord. Show me the chip in the cord. Right. There isn't one.

The wall-charger shows a max output of 5.1v and 850ma, so some methods may take a little longer. For example, Your desktop or laptop USB has a max output of 500ma instead of 850ma., and it works just fine.

If Verizon wants to charge $30 for every little accessory, they can eat them as far as I'm concerned. :icon_ devil:

GolfProRM

Reaction score
There have been issues reported with using aftermarket chargers/cables. There are several threads on the board discussing random screen actions, and even issues where the phone called people on its own. I've had issues with audio crackling when using some aftermarket USB cables, but no other major problems.

I think the appropriate thing to do would be to throw out a YMMV when it comes to aftermarket chargers.

chudilo

Reaction score
I bought a micro USB car charger at radio shack. for $20. Now I can charge the Droid and my wife's BlackBerry at the same time.

OP
L

lestejm

Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback. I knew the rep was just tryin' to make a buck. headed on a trip to arkansas friday so I will be picking up an aftermarket charger tomorrow

wil318466

Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback. I knew the rep was just tryin' to make a buck. headed on a trip to arkansas friday so I will be picking up an aftermarket charger tomorrow

Actually, your Verizon rep was half right. There ARE issues with chargers out there. The problem is its not easy to figure out which ones.

I had my phone charging with an aftermarket charger and when I was using the screen as it was charging the thing went nuts. When I plug it into a computer, to charge, it charges fine. I think it more has to do with the piece that actually goes into the wall socket than the cord.

Do a search for chargers on this site, you'll see many threads on people having issues with atermarket chargers. Its definately true.

I'd recommend buying a specific charger that people have mentioned work fine. The charger I bought online is now in the trash (which doesn't really matter since I just use the USB portion now and I have no issues).

-Wil