ADW Launcher in Market

droid420

Reaction score
any of you getting better cut to work with it. I could get it to work with the beta but now that I got it off the market it dont even see the launcher. even tried moving it to system/app but still no go.

I just tried using Bettercut to put some of my custom icons on my homepage. Did not work. Says shortcut created but nothing there. Even tried changing some of the settings like not hiding icon labels. No go.
go look at your home launcher or launcher2 they will be in there. i even took both launchers off so it was just adw and it dont see the icons. this is the only thing im not liking about it besides that I LOVE IT

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
any of you getting better cut to work with it. I could get it to work with the beta but now that I got it off the market it dont even see the launcher. even tried moving it to system/app but still no go.

I just tried using Bettercut to put some of my custom icons on my homepage. Did not work. Says shortcut created but nothing there. Even tried changing some of the settings like not hiding icon labels. No go.
go look at your home launcher or launcher2 they will be in there. i even took both launchers off so it was just adw and it dont see the icons. this is the only thing im not liking about it besides that I LOVE IT

Yeah I figured that is where they would end up. Just not feeling this one. Has a few nice features and is way customizable, but I like the simplicity and speed of LauncherPro. And I can use Bettercut.

J*Bishop

Reaction score
ok now how do i un-install the .7rc3 version so i can download the one from the market? lol it's got a few more goodies. i installed it on my wife's non rooted droid and she loves it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok now how do i un-install the .7rc3 version so i can download the one from the market? lol it's got a few more goodies. i installed it on my wife's non rooted droid and she loves it.

the RC's hacked the stock launcher, so you've gotta get rid of launcher.apk in system/app and replace it with the stock launcher.apk

edit: i believe i still have a backup copy of the stock launcher.apk, so pm me if you want it

Last edited:

dhinged

Reaction score
Launcher Pro

LauncherPro has 7 screens and puts 4 shortcuts next to the app drawer button... plus it's speedy and smooth.

If ADW can do that, set the animation speed to match Android's, and ditch the Helix-like swoop-in for the app drawer that LauncherPro has, then I'll try it!

J*Bishop

Reaction score

the RC's hacked the stock launcher, so you've gotta get rid of launcher.apk in system/app and replace it with the stock launcher.apk

edit: i believe i still have a backup copy of the stock launcher.apk, so pm me if you want it

thx for the offer. i just did a clean install of the rom i'm using so i downloaded adw from the market.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
LauncherPro has 7 screens and puts 4 shortcuts next to the app drawer button... plus it's speedy and smooth.

If ADW can do that, set the animation speed to match Android's, and ditch the Helix-like swoop-in for the app drawer that LauncherPro has, then I'll try it!

It can do all that except the four icons, it only gives you two.... But it also has a hidden icon bar where you can put I think, six more icons. You just long press the launcher button and then drag up, it's super cool.

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
after playing with it a bit I have a diff opinion of adw. it is more customizable then launcherpro. Launcherpro is faster but basic. ADW is a little behind but makes up with its customization. I still have Launcherpro as no. 1 but ADW is not to far behind at #2.

Agreed. Adw is awe I have been using it for awhile now and just installed the new build today and now foudn out its in market so I just installed the one from the market after uninstalling the r3 build. I have launcherpro and adw both on my phone with no other launchers all stock launcher removed and launcher pro is hella fast on the new bb 1.1 but adw isnt to slow not as fast but has awesome customization.

LrdElderon

Reaction score

only 2 shortcuts extra at the moment but I don't see why he couldn't add the option for 1 more on each side. You can toggle the fly in fly out effect which I think is pretty freaking awesome... you already lose the 3d effect ... *grumble* but it's doable and if you turn off the galaxy option which is a pretty dumb default I think personally, now that it's set to only one page scroll at a time. With that off even with default it's pretty close to launcher pro speed and it has options to change the speed =) you prob could make it faster?

and yes it too supports 1 to 7 screens.

Launcherpro seems to have people raving about it and I don't really see why. Not that it's a bad app. I hear it has real icon support now for it's shortcuts, that's good. but it's basically to me just helix1. wasn't helix1 fast enough? geez helix2 is already fast enough if you optimize the phone.

adw has a lot of options but once setup I find it just as fast as launcherpro and I get my consolation fly in fly out effect since I lose the 3d tray of helix2. I think in the long run adw will be the bigger of the two.

but as I said earlier I believe, it's good to have both. The competition is good for everyone, too bad we are short the helix developer =(

just a small rant, but what the heck is up with people raving over just speed? almost every post I see on various forums where people are saying how awesome it is, it's always about speed. Do people not know how to maintain there phones properly? what difference exactly does the increase in speed from helix1 to either of these make? I can 1 swipe the whole tray even in helix2 so I don't really understand this obsession. maybe some of your phones are just bogged down with crap.

anyways out of the two I like adw, I'm a fan of the customization options and it's already pretty wicked. Though I think if ruqqq (wtf did he go anyways?) kept up on the helix launchers helix2 would stay king for me.

Didn't he have a git? someone should just take over... those launchers are too nice to just lose to the wayside.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

only 2 shortcuts extra at the moment but I don't see why he couldn't add the option for 1 more on each side. You can toggle the fly in fly out effect which I think is pretty freaking awesome... you already lose the 3d effect ... *grumble* but it's doable and if you turn off the galaxy option which is a pretty dumb default I think personally, now that it's set to only one page scroll at a time. With that off even with default it's pretty close to launcher pro speed and it has options to change the speed =) you prob could make it faster?

and yes it too supports 1 to 7 screens.

Launcherpro seems to have people raving about it and I don't really see why. Not that it's a bad app. I hear it has real icon support now for it's shortcuts, that's good. but it's basically to me just helix1. wasn't helix1 fast enough? geez helix2 is already fast enough if you optimize the phone.

adw has a lot of options but once setup I find it just as fast as launcherpro and I get my consolation fly in fly out effect since I lose the 3d tray of helix2. I think in the long run adw will be the bigger of the two.

but as I said earlier I believe, it's good to have both. The competition is good for everyone, too bad we are short the helix developer =(

just a small rant, but what the heck is up with people raving over just speed? almost every post I see on various forums where people are saying how awesome it is, it's always about speed. Do people not know how to maintain there phones properly? what difference exactly does the increase in speed from helix1 to either of these make? I can 1 swipe the whole tray even in helix2 so I don't really understand this obsession. maybe some of your phones are just bogged down with crap.

anyways out of the two I like adw, I'm a fan of the customization options and it's already pretty wicked. Though I think if ruqqq (wtf did he go anyways?) kept up on the helix launchers helix2 would stay king for me.

Didn't he have a git? someone should just take over... those launchers are too nice to just lose to the wayside.
I kinda agree lol! I'm a bit puzzled by the whole speed thing since I honestly can't tell the difference between the speed between ADW and LauncherPro. I set the "fling" speed in ADW to 100 and it's working pretty well. So far the only things keeping me with ADW is the 6 shortcut drawer it has and that LauncherPro has an "annoying" bounce-back effect that kinda does things to my eyes.

But I guess different strokes for different folks lol. Yay for choice!

OP
TekHawk

TekHawk

Reaction score
imo with the LiveWallpaper support disabled "because I rarely use one" ADW is as fast or faster then LP I think one thing people are not accounting for "some have in the thread though" is that LP is not faster its smoother because of it being overly animated padding ever swipe so its not a hard slide giving the illusion of speed

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
imo with the LiveWallpaper support disabled "because I rarely use one" ADW is as fast or faster then LP I think one thing people are not accounting for "some have in the thread though" is that LP is not faster its smoother because of it being overly animated padding ever swipe so its not a hard slide giving the illusion of speed

exactly, LP is smoother, but ADW is snappier - and I just discovered this morning the new customization in ADW to change the speed of the drawer animation, pretty slick... i didn't use the animation before, but since i can make it so quick, it's kinda nice

Sal R.

Reaction score
If only the previews on ADW were more like LP in terms of selecting/zooming into screens, that'd be the clincher for me.

It's purely aesthetic, of course.

Both are very good launchers.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I am using this and LP to see how it works.. LP is faster but i think that ADW can handle LWP better then LP.
But i have to say..LP is still the launcher for me but this ADW i have to say, is right there with it.
the hidden short cut drawer is sweet. Love the NaviDots.