advanced task killer

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by milehi202, May 4, 2010.

1. milehi202

milehi202 New Member

I use ATK and Memory Task Cleaner..Do I need both...When I use MTC it says it has freed X amount of memory..Is this true? or am I wasting my time..My droid seems to run smooth...But would like to get a honest opion on this subject please...thankyou:motdroidhoriz:
  2. owlclaw

owlclaw New Member

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I used an app killer frequently until I saw this from the help menu of the SystemPanel app...
    "the [Android] OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed."
    Having lots of available memory doesn't appear to improve battery life, and they recommend only using "end all" applications if the phone is performing poorly...
    I haven't been going out of my way to conserve memory lately and haven't noticed any difference...
  3. deadernie

deadernie New Member

You really don't need either one. I've had my droid since shortly after launch date and have never had speed or memory issues. If you do get a bad app that's sucking up battery or memory you can close it using the stock applications management in the menu.
  4. gszeman

gszeman New Member

+1 for the post above me. I used a task killer for a while, then have been without one for the past week our so. I haven't noticed any difference either way. My phone is actually running its best now, but I think it has a lot to do with the rom I have running now (Buglessbeast 1.0)

Sent from my Droid
  5. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

seems to get for/agains't in equal parts

Do a lot of folks run Advanced Task Killer? I've been running it for a week or so, and it looks like there are always apps running that I can stop. Whether or not that is saving battery life, or speeding things up is in question. I would appreciate someone who has techie knowledge about this app to let me know, if possible. I would take it out, if folks who know don't think it is worthwhile.

Thanks,
    studentfish
  6. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I just follow the majority of people on here that say its kinda dumb to use a task killer. Android handles everything just fine on its own. I uninstalled mine and I think my phones fast and working just swell...
  7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

8. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

data?

I think you might be right-but I want to see if anyone has speed/memory data to see if its working as it's supposed to or not.....

If it says its true, then it must be true, right?
    LOL
  9. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

I am cutting and pasting this from a response on the subject I wrote a while back in another thread.
    It still applies.
    The O/S should not be putting anything in memory that is not used or in some cases never been used. There is a fundamental permissions issue with the android O/S that allows it to do so. Does it use battery or memory up and cause slow downs?? In my exp yes it can but for others it has not been noticed so there are no clear cut answers on this just people's differing exp with it. Mind you the issue is still here with 2.1 as well.

>>>I generally don't do this but I will share a bit of my exp as a systems admin and have linux servers at my company under my oversight.

Linux in general does do a good job of cleaning up unused processes but it is not fool proof. It can and will get bogged down with programs in memory that are not running if not properly configured.

With android I have noticed that apps not used open by themselves which yes is well and good for fast start and use but when apps you have never used open by themselves then your O/S has a coding and or a permission issue.

I have never used nor even opened the corp calender or several other progs and they will be resident in memory. This should not happen. The O/S should leave them off and instead load apps that have been or are being used.
    I have seen this problem with SuSE Server and Red Hat as well as Fedora.
    The way I fix it on the servers is by editing the permissions to stop this kind of behavior and limit programs to opening in memory to ones that are used the most first and on down to least used. Progs and apps that are never used do not get auto started. This keeps things running smooth and makes things work more smoothly for the apps and progs that do get used.

I also don't like the idea of having to back out of several pages of browsing just to close the browser without using a task killer prog.

While these are by no means show stoppers they are something to keep an eye on.

The debate rages about task killer progs and I will not reopen it here other than to state that I do use Advanced Task Killer to close programs that open themselves despite me never using them. I don't use it to kill anything else.

I hope that 2.1 when it comes to the Droid does better at managing programs or at least opens up better user management and control of apps. <<<
  10. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The point of my posting that thread is that this subject comes up daily. Really if people would search a bit you'd see there is no real reason to rehash the subject of task killers.
  11. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

I understand and my re-post is due to seeing these threads pop up all the time. :)