Add-Ons Packs

Reaction score
Hello have a few noob questions about the add on packs for steel droid.

The droid 3 Is my first smart phone so I'm not as experienced as the rest of you with the nomenclature I realize these are probably dumb questions so bear with me.

Was wondering if some one could give a description what each of the add on packs do and if they are required or not. I understand some of the obvious ones like "Skype" and "Swype" ect... but the thing like "updaters,", "rules and suggestions" and "Editors"ect.. leave me a little confused.

example-I didn't know my HMDI output won't work if I didn't have the DLNA update installed luckly I had read a post about.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks to the Dev for a great Rom, I have gone from having only 89 mb of ram free to around 200-218 mb free dancedroid and phone is alot faster know.

ezMesican

Reaction score
I don't get why Chevy didn't leave some of the good apps on the ROM. Backup assistant I'm pretty sure is for backing up your contacts on your gmail account. Messaging is probably an instant messanger app. Photo and video editors is self explanatory. QuickOffice is Office on your phone(Word, Excel, etc). Skype is the crappy version that comes on Verizon phones(You have to use their 3G to use it). Social apps is self explanatory. Suggestions is useless. Dunno about universal inbox. Dunno about updaters. Visual voicemail is a paid service. Oh and Swype is an on-screen keyboard. You connect letters with your finger to make a word.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply was starting to get worried LOL. Ya i get the gest for most the updates but a couple like the updater ,rules and suggestion, universal inbox had me a stumped and if they where even necessary for phone features to work properly example the DLNA updater so the HDMI output would work ect...

GreenSnow

Reaction score
I don't get why Chevy didn't leave some of the good apps on the ROM. Backup assistant I'm pretty sure is for backing up your contacts on your gmail account. Messaging is probably an instant messanger app. Photo and video editors is self explanatory. QuickOffice is Office on your phone(Word, Excel, etc). Skype is the crappy version that comes on Verizon phones(You have to use their 3G to use it). Social apps is self explanatory. Suggestions is useless. Dunno about universal inbox. Dunno about updaters. Visual voicemail is a paid service. Oh and Swype is an on-screen keyboard. You connect letters with your finger to make a word.

CORRECTION: backup assistant is the verizon backup program for contacts, which wont actually work with SD anyways but google contacts is better anyhow.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

GaneshaIX

Reaction score
(not to bring this topic back from the dead or anything)
I had an issue when I flashed Steel Droid without knowing it would get rid of Backup Assistant, but there is a really simple way to fix it without having to go through the trouble of reinstalling it. You just go to the webpage for it verizonwireless.com/backupassistant and export your contact list to a .csv file(you can usually save it as an excel document) and then go to your contact list for your google account and import the .csv file and it will add all of your contacts to your google contacts account. You might have to manually sync your contact list(I had to) and possibly create a group for them for the entire list to show on your phone, but it should work.

I apologize if this method is already known and my post was useless. I'm just trying to help. :biggrin:

Last edited: