About the $15 data plan...

harv2000

Reaction score
I looked at that plan, but after using the Droid for 12 months now, I don't see how a person could realistically stay inside 150 Meg/month with a standard Droid unless they operate inside an 802.11 network 99% of the time. I don't consider myself a heavy data user, but I routinely use over 2.5 Gig/month. It's just the nature of the phone.

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
I would say that this 150MB plan will be more useful for BB users rather than Android users. My wife only uses a maximum of 80MB per month on her Tour, but I'm well over a gig with my X. Our phones seem to communicate with various servers much too often for anything less than unlimited data. I guess if you use wifi all the time you would be fine, but I would bet most people don't. Just my 2 cents.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I looked at that plan, but after using the Droid for 12 months now, I don't see how a person could realistically stay inside 150 Meg/month with a standard Droid unless they operate inside an 802.11 network 99% of the time. I don't consider myself a heavy data user, but I routinely use over 2.5 Gig/month. It's just the nature of the phone.

That'd be me. I use about a mb a day on Verizon network, the rest in Wifi. I don't even turn the network in unless I need to do something that requires data when I'm not near Wifi but it's for battery savings due to my reception SUCKS around here now and even with 4 solid bars I get as little as 75kbps speeds during peak times with latency measured in seconds not ms. Yes Verizon is aware and yes they said they will fix the capacity issue... next year. They said that in 09 too
wified from a monolith using a slider

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't see how a person could realistically stay inside 150 Meg/month with a standard Droid unless they operate inside an 802.11 network 99% of the time. I don't consider myself a heavy data user, but I routinely use over 2.5 Gig/month. It's just the nature of the phone.
I don't see how you think you can extrapolate some sort of general trend using only a single data point (your particular usage) or determine what type of usage you have. My wife uses 250-500MB typically. I tend to use around 1GB. While both of us would be well over 150MB there's still quite a bit of difference in usage from person to person and it's not all determined just by the device.

harv2000

Reaction score
Meant no offense

Sorry guys, didn't mean to belittle usages. The point I was shooting for was that I've looked at my data usages and it's not unusual to see my phone pulling down in excess of 100 Meg overnight, when I'm asleep and the phone is plugged in on the nightstand, powered on, but "asleep". Yep, it is a combo of apps that is doing it, so the point I was shooting for is that it seems dangerous for someone to select such a lightweight data plan and count on staying inside it. I can picture it on a feature phone that doesn't do things unless you initiate them, but on something like the Droid it seems to me to be asking for trouble.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Sorry guys, didn't mean to belittle usages. The point I was shooting for was that I've looked at my data usages and it's not unusual to see my phone pulling down in excess of 100 Meg overnight, when I'm asleep and the phone is plugged in on the nightstand, powered on, but "asleep". Yep, it is a combo of apps that is doing it, so the point I was shooting for is that it seems dangerous for someone to select such a lightweight data plan and count on staying inside it. I can picture it on a feature phone that doesn't do things unless you initiate them, but on something like the Droid it seems to me to be asking for trouble.

I don't understand how you can use 100 MB overnight. What apps do you have that use that much data? My wife uses less than 75 MB a month on her Ally and I only average about 200 MB a month on my Droid. She uses email, the Weather Channel app and reads the news on NubiNews. I surf on various sites, use Google maps and have not used over 513 MB in a month and used only 38 MB one month. This is on my 11 month old Droid.

Some say they can't understand how someone can only use 150 MB a month. Well, I can't understand how someone can use 100 MB overnight while just plugged into the dock.

harv2000

Reaction score

I don't understand how you can use 100 MB overnight. What apps do you have that use that much data? My wife uses less than 75 MB a month on her Ally and I only average about 200 MB a month on my Droid. She uses email, the Weather Channel app and reads the news on NubiNews. I surf on various sites, use Google maps and have not used over 513 MB in a month and used only 38 MB one month. This is on my 11 month old Droid.

Some say they can't understand how someone can only use 150 MB a month. Well, I can't understand how someone can use 100 MB overnight while just plugged into the dock.

I haven't tied down the exact apps that do it, but what you watch for is apps that do frequent polling and updates of relatively large data sets. The numbers I gave came out of the detailed usage report from Verizon which is not broken down by port or address, just volume.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I haven't tied down the exact apps that do it, but what you watch for is apps that do frequent polling and updates of relatively large data sets. The numbers I gave came out of the detailed usage report from Verizon which is not broken down by port or address, just volume.

I guess I can think of one widget that could use a lot of data throughout the day. This is the WeatherBug map widget. Perhaps if someone were to set it to update the radar map like every 5 minutes or less then it would use a lot of data all the time. I think the default is every 3 hours. There must be many more apps that do things like that.

ionide

Reaction score
I'm calling bs on the 100mb overnight. Unless you're using the phone

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I could see having very few apps, syncing turned completely off, and making sure to be on WiFi as much as possible -- the only way to live on 150MB/month. Just to save $180 a month? Naaa, I'll stick with unlimited. Besides, my Droid has a hard enough time keeping WiFi going as it is.