Incredible on the 150mb plan--suggestions please

Jug the Thug

Reaction score
is there a 1GB or 2GB plan? even if its $10 more a month. with 1GB and a decent set up you wont have to care. I take it you are going for "as cheap as can be" and Im with you on that. But I dont think 150mb for a droid is smart. It can blow by that if you just forget to turn off 3G in a matter of a day.

Anyways, you seem to have a grip on what to do, really the best way is to keep an eye out. dont have apps that run in the background using internet data (on the off shot you need 3g sometime.)

Wish you the best of luck with this, just seems like to much work to save a few dollars im one of them data hogs though using like 5-10GB a month lol, but hay if you can do it, more power to you man.

Id like to ask that after a month or two could you make a new thread and tell us how it works out if its not to much. Give people who might be in the same boat as you an idea of how well it works. You sound like someone who at least understands what an app is(maybe more I just can not tell), and not that 90 year old man who never will use the net lol

I got a DX im on unlimited but I want to look at my data counter for fun where is it?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
data can be seen on your statement, or if you DL the verizon app from their store.

Just went on Verizon myself to check there offers. For smartphones/ 3g the only two choices are $15 at 150MB or $30 at unlimited data. I was very surprised I have had this phone for 16 says and already used a GB doesn't seem like it at all!

Jeyman

Reaction score
Just went on Verizon myself to check there offers. For smartphones/ 3g the only two choices are $15 at 150MB or $30 at unlimited data. I was very surprised I have had this phone for 16 says and already used a GB doesn't seem like it at all!

its not hard to use a GB or two of data a month. When I first got the moto droid last December, i used a GB of data without even understanding the darn phone lol.

oh ya... turn pics/flash off on your browser when you plan to use 3g LOL Should help keep data down,maybe get tapatalk pro(tho I dont no how well it works with data, just seems it would use very little)

Jug the Thug

Reaction score

its not hard to use a GB or two of data a month. When I first got the moto droid last December, i used a GB of data without even understanding the darn phone lol.

oh ya... turn pics/flash off on your browser when you plan to use 3g LOL Should help keep data down,maybe get tapatalk pro(tho I dont no how well it works with data, just seems it would use very little)

I could care less since im on unlimited I was just surprised lol.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Before getting the Droid X, I kept my data usage down to 140MB per month. The only thing I really used it for was web browsing and news updates. Sometimes i would occasionally check facebook as well. But it can be done.

Since getting the Droid X, I am up to 1.6GB of data a month. I am streaming video from home, using Pandora everywhere, web browsing more.

So it all comes down you making sure of your data connection (wifi as much as possible) and watching your usage in-between. Airplane mode is good when you aren't expecting calls or txt.

Good luck. I hope this works out for you.

Khiraji

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sort of in the same boat here. I have a Droid 2.
I'm surrounded by wifi constantly - at the office, at school and at home. I'm on the 150MB/month plan because rarely am I somewhere without wifi.

Here's the kicker: I've been watching my data usage on MyVerizon like a hawk, and I'm getting dangerously close to the 150MB mark. I'd estimate that I'm out of wifi coverage maybe 15% of the time - and yet I seem to be drinking down data like no tomorrow.

I came to believe that when I'm on a wifi connection, any data used doesn't count towards my monthly quota. Is that correct? I almost find it hard to believe that my device would suck down that much data when I'm out of wifi range.

OP
J

jck31

Reaction score
I'm surrounded by wifi constantly - at the office, at school and at home. I'm on the 150MB/month plan because rarely am I somewhere without wifi.

Here's the kicker: I've been watching my data usage on MyVerizon like a hawk, and I'm getting dangerously close to the 150MB mark. I'd estimate that I'm out of wifi coverage maybe 15% of the time - and yet I seem to be drinking down data like no tomorrow.

I came to believe that when I'm on a wifi connection, any data used doesn't count towards my monthly quota. Is that correct? I almost find it hard to believe that my device would suck down that much data when I'm out of wifi range.

Well is your phone automatically connecting to 3G when you aren't within wifi range? Also, all your background apps may be draining your data when you're on 3G. Make sure to check out auto sync for that.

Jug the Thug

Reaction score

Yea think of it like this wifi is a water fountain...its free and nothing sticks with you but 3g is like gatorade you gota pay and the price sticks with you. Turn your 3g off using a app off the market right when you get off wifi.

Khiraji

Reaction score
Hmmm, background data... will have to verify my settings. Thanks!

dan.dar

Reaction score
I think there are some apps that use data connection with the phone idle. With the phone idle, it's not connected to wifi to save power and that's when people on 150MB connection are most vulnerable.

I think shopsavvy before you turnoff the location feature will use GPS from time to time to find out where you are and then send that information to its servers (great knowledge for advertisers and researchers.)

Like I wrote before, I've had Palm Pre for 8 months before getting the Droid and my data usage before getting everything on wifi was about 600-700MB per month. With everything on wifi I was comfortably using about 70MB per month. Now with the droid since getting everything setup, I've used 12MB in 9 days. Again comfortably on track to be well under the 150MB limit.

Lois

Reaction score
I have a DX on unlimited data. In the 3 months I've had it, I typically use about 300mb per month. I put the phone on wifi whenever I'm at home (I rarely encounter wifi elsewhere & since I have unlimited data anyway, don't bother much to look for it). I also turn the phone completely off overnight or other times when I'm not going to be using it for some time, since I don't see any point in running down the battery when I'm not going to be using it. You can also set various network settings tolimit themselves to wifi if need be. I think I could cope with 150mb per month if I needed to gear down.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
interesting to see a smartphone user on a capped plan, i easily did your 150MB today alone, lol.

You're doing everything right so far, but I don't believe you'll truly enjoy your phone with that cap.

I had a smartphone (Tilt) on AT&T with no data and i never truly got the full enjoyment. I was always in an area with wifi, but when i needed it the most I was on the road or an area out of wifi. Glad to know you have a data plan of some sort at least, but if you can pay for the unlimited plan, or a package with more data i say you go for it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The only way to NOT pass the 150MB limit on one of these phones, in all seriousness, is to turn off Mobile Data in the settings and ONLY use WiFi. If you flick 3G on when you absolutely need it then you might not pass the limit. :)

Khiraji

Reaction score
interesting to see a smartphone user on a capped plan, i easily did your 150MB today alone, lol.

You're doing everything right so far, but I don't believe you'll truly enjoy your phone with that cap.

I had a smartphone (Tilt) on AT&T with no data and i never truly got the full enjoyment. I was always in an area with wifi, but when i needed it the most I was on the road or an area out of wifi. Glad to know you have a data plan of some sort at least, but if you can pay for the unlimited plan, or a package with more data i say you go for it.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I love this device and it sucks having to be constantly cautious of my usage. I'm currently going through university and I'm on a family plan with Verizon - I'm already catching hell for blowing up the bill and money is definitely tighter these days than we're all comfortable with. Thank the gods app purchases charge to my Google account...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I love this device and it sucks having to be constantly cautious of my usage. I'm currently going through university and I'm on a family plan with Verizon - I'm already catching hell for blowing up the bill and money is definitely tighter these days than we're all comfortable with. Thank the gods app purchases charge to my Google account...

i'm not gonna tell anyone how to spend their money, but to me having a smartphone when money is tight is not the wisest of decisions. yes i understand you want to take advantage of the wifi, but with these kinds of phones you never really know when you're going to be using data, unless of course you're an experienced user...

i'm not calling you a novice or anything, i just think from a financial standpoint it isn't exactly a wise decision to have a smartphone.

aside from my two cents, i'm glad you're enjoying your phone despite your "restrictions"