AAAgghh my Nexus won't turn on!

angelman

Reaction score
Did a bit of reading of forums and it seems a few people have this issue. I recently got the extended battery which has worked fine. Last night I decided to reboot my phone as facebook had stalled trying to upload some photos and the notification was annoying me. I turned off the phone and then when I tried to turn it back on nothing happened. I tried keeping my phone charging all night and still no luck. I tried changing the battery for my fully charged standard battery and nothing. Normally I wouldnt really care that much. Everything of value is stored in the googles or on the sd card... oh wait what sd card. Nexus doesnt have one of course! So my photos are stuck on the phone and no way to get them off. I tried plugging the phone into the computer and again nothing.
I am not too worried about getting a replacement but what about the data on the old phone? Even if I can't get it off maybe it will go back to be refurbished but who knows if the data will properly be wiped. I don't really want someone getting my old phone with my photos and other private info on it.
Any other ideas before I just hand it over to verizon for a new one?
I am hoping the phone is new enough that I will actually get a brand new one rather than a stupid unreliable "refurbished" one.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
From the off state, try holding down the power button and both volume up and down at the same time until you feel a quick vibrate and then let go. See if anything happens and then report back.

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
I tried every combination of volume button, power button, battery swap etc. In the end I took it to the verizon store. They replaced it right there immediately. The bummer is still that I lost all the data on the phone. Really quite a huge drawback of not having a replaceable sd card. I shall have to get more in the habit of doing the apple sync backup thing. I try to keep my images and videos backuped to google+ but there are still all the home screen layouts, apps that mysteriously dont get remembered by the market, custom settings etc. It would be great if google had the option to just back up everything on your phone - at least all the data such as home screen layout, widgets etc. That's what takes all the time. Worst of all I think I lost all my apparatus game data :(
I hope this was a one off and not some issue with using the extended battery or something

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Are you charging it with the charger that came with the phone? Mine won't charge when I use my previous universal chargers. I kept wondering why it wouldn't turn on after charging for hours only to find out that those chargers won't work for some reason.

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
Yeah I was charging it with the original charger. They couldnt charge it in the shop either. The good news or at least some of it was that in fact google does seem to backup a lot more information than they used to regarding wifi, apps etc. The apps that get remembered still are a bit random though, it doesnt get them all. Still much better than nothing. I HIGHLY recommend all nexus users have autoupload images AND videos to google+ turned on by default though