Gnex Keeps Hanging then Turning Off

Saabaruski

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I did a couple of quick searches and didn't find anything

So yeah, since the first week my phone has unexpectadly been turning off. It's not a HUGE deal in that the boot time isn't very long, but it is annoying. It doesn't happen everyday. It can go a week without a hiccup and then have 2 meltdowns in one day. The most recent time I was trying to unlock the phone with my code and as soon as the screen turned on it did not allow me to type anything, waited about 30 seconds and then rebooted. I also had an instance where I was driving home and noticed that my phone was rebooting(hard NOT to notice the colors and panels at night!)

Is this a known issue? Or is this specific to my device? I HATE getting a new phone and losing my photos and such, but it is getting annoying-ish.

TIA

floobmonsrake

Reaction score
This isn't normal for me, but have heard a lot of phones do this, not particular to the nexus. I suggest 1. Install custom from and see if it persists. 2. If it does persist, use warrenty to get a new one and I'm guessing the new one shouldn't have the issue

Oh and I completely forgot the quickest, simplest solution. Factory reset. I have heard that fixes issues like this

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's not normal. I would do a Factory Data Reset before I tried a warranty replacement as they are Certified Like New phones (refurbs). Factory Data Resets have been known to fix a lot of ills.

If your problem persists "grit your teeth" and do a Factory Reset. These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. Backup everything on your sdcard that you want to keep as a Factory Data Reset wipes the sdcard. There are apps in the Market that will backup everything including SMS and Text messages. 3. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 4. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. 5. Open the Market app and accept the market terms. 5. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install.

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Are you rooted at all? With any custom ROMs or kernels? I assume not, since you didn't mention it anywhere. But sometimes overclocking the CPU can cause random reboots, it seems. Other than that, as everyone else stated, factory reset the phone and see if it helps. Also, maybe check what apps you have installed and have running a lot. Could be app related, but that is highly unlikely. Might as well cover all your bases though!

OP
S

Saabaruski

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Will try a reset. I don't have many apps aside from the standards; words with friends, fb, gchat, etc. Like I said in my original post it's not horrible, but it is annoying.

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Will try a reset. I don't have many apps aside from the standards; words with friends, fb, gchat, etc. Like I said in my original post it's not horrible, but it is annoying.

When you first got the phone and powered it on, was the lock that shows up on the bottom of the screen locked or unlocked? When the gnexus first came out there was talk that some were sold with the bootloader unlocked but unrooted? The talk was that phones that came with the lock signal unlocked on first boot had problems. Haven't heard much since though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
S

Saabaruski

Reaction score
:arrowup: hmmm not sure what you are refering to? It just booted up?

Though the plot seems to have thickened a bit. The past couple of times my phone has done this when I boot up I get sent to a different boot up process. I don't get the 'Google' followed by the rotating color panels, last time I got a really simple black screen that had a big button that just said 'Start' in the top left in small red letters it said something like 'ODIN Mode' and then another portion said 'downloading content do not turn off.' Pushing start didn't do anything so when I pressed(not press and held) the on/off it rebooted like normal. I have had this happen a couple of times and one time it booted up with a droid figure laying down all sad and dead looking. :blink:

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Did you buy this phone new? If I'm not mistaken, Odin is a type of recovery when the phone is rooted. Sounds like you may indeed be rooted. When you first boot the phone and the Google logo shows up, is there an unlocked icon at the bottom of the screen? As atreyu381 asked.

OP
S

Saabaruski

Reaction score
Yeah got in BNIB from Verizon on launch day.

I just did a google search for "odin Galaxy Nexus" and like you said it sounds like this is part of the process to root like, or recover? I have not done a thing to this phone other than d/l apps from Amazon or the Market place.

Also, I do not see a lock or an unlock when I boot up to the Google screen prior to the rotating panels. It just says Google in white on the black background.

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you buy this phone new? If I'm not mistaken, Odin is a type of recovery when the phone is rooted. Sounds like you may indeed be rooted. When you first boot the phone and the Google logo shows up, is there an unlocked icon at the bottom of the screen? As atreyu381 asked.

Well the nexus didn't come rooted, just w an unlocked bootloader. I don't know how true it is but the buzz was that phones that came unlocked nib had issues.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Well the nexus didn't come rooted, just w an unlocked bootloader. I don't know how true it is but the buzz was that phones that came unlocked nib had issues.

Yeah, I know none of them came rooted if they were unlocked. That's why I asked if he bought it new, because it seems as though someone has already initiated some type of root process, being that Odin is present on his device. Very peculiar situation.

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I know none of them came rooted if they were unlocked. That's why I asked if he bought it new, because it seems as though someone has already initiated some type of root process, being that Odin is present on his device. Very peculiar situation.

Ahhh good call! Ya very peculiar

OP
S

Saabaruski

Reaction score
yeah so doing some research it certainly looks like this has something to do with rooting. I looked up a 'how to unlock' article and the picture of my 'dead droid' is actually a screen in the process to. The one where his chest is open and a bunch of blue lights are in there.

Soooooo... suggestions? If I reset to factory will I lose all my photos? Should I just take this back to Verizon?

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You 2 option IMO. Take it to verizon and explain the situation and have them transfer your stuff. 2. You could try to back up everything yourself and try to put back to stock and then transfer your stuff back.
I think your trial will be convincing Verizon that it came like that. Again my opinion

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
You 2 option IMO. Take it to verizon and explain the situation and have them transfer your stuff. 2. You could try to back up everything yourself and try to put back to stock and then transfer your stuff back.
I think your trial will be convincing Verizon that it came like that. Again my opinion

It will be quite the challenge to convince Verizon that the phone came that way, ha ha. Especially with the whole Odin thing, because, as you said, some came unlocked, but not rooted.

You couldn't have gotten a refurb since you got it on launch day either. You didn't let anyone alone with your precious Nexus for any amounts of time, did you? Ha ha, cause I can't think of any way that this could happen without your knowing about it.