A2SD for CyanogenMod 6.0.0

chumunga

Reaction score
Ok so im a complete noob, but i do know how to use a search but I been looking for 2 days on this forum and I didn't come up with anything exact but close. (found lots of interesting things i love this forum)

Question 1 - So im looking for a complete Apps to SD, and when i say complete i mean that the Internal Mem never gets used at all by any apps. But so far with several roms (such as CyanogenMod, BB, and others) I've noticed that it may move the storage of the app to the SD but the Internal Memory is still being used.

My good friend told me about partitioning, I don't really know to much other thank my PC harddrive is partitioned into 2 drives.

Question 2 - What is this partitioning thing? and will it give me the A2SD that im looking for? BTW i tickered around with ROM manager right now.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Currently there is no way to do this. CyanogenMod in 2.1 AOSP compiled roms (5.x series) there was a modification they did where you partitioned off up to 512meg of your SD card and could have apps install there (combined with the 256meg storage you have internally).

Every since Froyo 2.2 was released this method no longer works and you have to use Froyo's 2.2 method. Developers have to tag their apps as installable/movable to the SD Card and then the OS will move a portion of it to .android-secure on the SD Card and leave a stub/pointer in internal storage.

There are a few modifications you can perform that will allow you to move more to the SD Card then just the apps coded to allow it. Look for Move2SD Enabler in the Market.

Do not install widgets to SD Card and expect a little slower initial "readiness" of the phone after reboots while the system initializes and then reads the apps off the SD Card to update your launcher.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You can tell CM to move everything to the SD card on new installs, but some things (Google Maps, for example) cannot be moved totally to the SD card. Once you've set it to install totally to the SD card you can move almost everything there manually from the Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> All, but that will take a lot of time. Just remember to set all new installs (similar location) to the SD card or you'll be doing it on every install you make.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You can tell CM to move everything to the SD card on new installs, but some things (Google Maps, for example) cannot be moved totally to the SD card. Once you've set it to install totally to the SD card you can move almost everything there manually from the Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> All, but that will take a lot of time. Just remember to set all new installs (similar location) to the SD card or you'll be doing it on every install you make.

You can do that with any Froyo OS 2.2 based ROM. Some give you a setting in the system settings, some their own settings and for a stock ROM you can use any of the Market available apps or a terminal shell and type in a command. It's part of Froyo OS 2.2 and nothing like what Cyanogen was doing previously.