A worried ROOT question. Please help

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
OK, (story time)
My RAZR was rooted using the sticky on the forum. When the update came yesterday, I decided to unroot my phone using Ginger Unroot. And I deleted safety strap. After I finished the update, I noticed that safety strap started the little boot menu "hmmmm" ... then I noticed that the keyboard switcher app (for root users only) still worked with no problem. The only thing that doesn't work is Titanium.
And to go even further. I started the hotspot app, and Verizon didn't prompt any questions as if the Hack I did still works....
Now my question is, do you think my phone it going to have any problems cuz everything that's working right now is the reason that I rooted. And since those things are working, I have no reason to reRoot my phone! Lol.
But do you guys think I should root in case Verizon charges me for mobile hotspot? Cuz its working like it did when I was rooted, and if it continues to work like this then I have no reason to root. (Until ICS). I hope this makes sense. Please someone comment.
thanks guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

eidian

Reaction score
It sounds like your phone didn't update. Did you check the build number in Phone Information to confirm that it updated?

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Or possibly, the unroot was not successful...

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
You needed to back up before update..

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

ddfuji

Reaction score
well with one of ota's. i didnt unroot my device and and just did the ota while it was still rooted. it took out the root but i still had wifi tether working. with the wifi tether i changed values using sqlite editor. im assuming that the ota didnt check or reset those values. after i saw that i still had wifi tether i checked if my phone was still rooted. it wasn't. i speculate that a few changes you made while rooted still remain even after an ota and unroot. i would just root the phone. it dosnt hurt the phone and its not that hard to do.

Reaction score
well with one of ota's. i didnt unroot my device and and just did the ota while it was still rooted. it took out the root but i still had wifi tether working. with the wifi tether i changed values using sqlite editor. im assuming that the ota didnt check or reset those values. after i saw that i still had wifi tether i checked if my phone was still rooted. it wasn't. i speculate that a few changes you made while rooted still remain even after an ota and unroot. i would just root the phone. it dosnt hurt the phone and its not that hard to do.

Oh ok. That makes sense.

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
You could also save your root backup to computer, unroot and update then root.

ddfuji

Reaction score
Oh ok. That makes sense.

i was baffled at first why i still had wifi tether. and i didnt see any charges from verizon for hot spot. but i only had it unrooted for a day or two.

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
How do you change boot up sound for huawei Android 2.1 i have changed boot up image to halo 3.

OP
BiGG WiLL

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
My phone updated cuz it says Android 2.3.6.
I also noticed the different icons in the settings, the different contact icons, apps. It also said update successful. I was gonna reroot eventually, but I was thinking that I had no rush since I can still use most of my rooted features. I used ginger root. It saved me cuz i was having problems unrooting until that app.

If I root. I'll be rooted under 2.3.5
Since I have 2.3.6 with some rooted values still, then personally I feel I'm winning. Until something else comes out.

Last edited:

dwireman

Reaction score
Voodoo OTA RootKeeper worked great for me. You unroot with it, do the OTA update and then come back and reroot with the app. Very simple and worked like a charm. It just performs a temp-unroot by backing up su.