Root 2.3.5 after OTA 2.3.6??

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
I rooted my Razr using the sticky on the hacks forum
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/181762-how-root-your-motorola-droid-razr-windows-only.html

I
unrooted to get the OTA (didnt know about voodoo, but used ginger unroot) Even though i feel lucky to still have some root privileges, I kind of what to reroot my phone.
Now, this update however seemed to be a hit! Everything has improved.
My question is, is there an updated version of root because I want to reroot, but I didnt think it made since to go from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and back to 2.3.5.....

Or should i just do without rooting for awhile? Cuz surprisingly my Wifi tether hack still works and a couple of other rooted apps work. The only thing that doesn't work is Titanium Backup, and i deleted safety strap before the OTA in case i had problems.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I rooted my Razr using the sticky on the hacks forum
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/181762-how-root-your-motorola-droid-razr-windows-only.html

I
unrooted to get the OTA (didnt know about voodoo, but used ginger unroot) Even though i feel lucky to still have some root privileges, I kind of what to reroot my phone.
Now, this update however seemed to be a hit! Everything has improved.
My question is, is there an updated version of root because I want to reroot, but I didnt think it made since to go from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and back to 2.3.5.....

Or should i just do without rooting for awhile? Cuz surprisingly my Wifi tether hack still works and a couple of other rooted apps work. The only thing that doesn't work is Titanium Backup, and i deleted safety strap before the OTA in case i had problems.

There is no known way to root 2.3.6 (AKA 6.12.173) at this time. You will need to roll back the version to 2.3.5 (AKA 6.11.748), then root, then install and run Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect, then temp un-root, then OTA to 6.12.173, then restore root. Alternatively you can flash the Fastboot 6.11.744, root and Voodoo Rootkeeper protect, then OTA to 6.11.748, then OTA to 6.12.173, then restore root.

Fortunately even if you go the way of flashing the Fastboot to .744, then OTA to .748, then OTA to .173, all files, apps, and personal settings remain (as long as you DO NOT either do a Factory Reset OR format the SD card or internal memory).

You can find the info on flashing Fastboot at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416058.

Last edited:
OP
BiGG WiLL

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
There is no known way to root 2.3.6 (AKA 6.12.173) at this time. You will need to roll back the version to 2.3.5 (AKA 6.11.748), then root, then install and run Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect, then temp un-root, then OTA to 6.12.173, then restore root. Alternatively you can flash the Fastboot 6.11.744, root and Voodoo Rootkeeper protect, then OTA to 6.11.748, then OTA to 6.12.173, then restore root.

...... Jees..... Is there a tutorial anywhere for um.... ^^^ that^^^???

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
...... Jees..... Is there a tutorial anywhere for um.... ^^^ that^^^???

Yeah, Installing 6.12.173.xt912 [Guide] - DroidRzr.com will give you information on rolling back if you want from .173 back to .748 and then you can root, OTA protect, and OTA update.

Here are instructions with all the links to the supporting files such as the Moto drivers, RSD Lite, and the Fastboot file. [Download] DROID RAZR Fastboot Files, with flashing instructions

It sounds like a lot and sounds complicated, but it's pretty simple and if you follow instructions one step at a time before you know it, you're done.

You're not the first that's used Ginger Unroot and after the OTA update still has functionality that required root even though you no longer have root. Apparently while in root, the changes that allow wireless tether and some other root-only features are not intercepted when you update. Moto missed those and I am sure if they knew it they would have closed and locked those down again in the update.

I recommend you start with Fastboot and go the OTA Rootkeeper route, this way you'll fix all the quirks that are allowing wireless tether and others, you'll have root again, and you lose nothing in the process.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
New update. Root for 2.3.6 has been achieved! Go to Security Research by Dan Rosenberg to download the hack. Link provided by smalltowngirl13.

dancedroid

Note: This will not fix the issue you have with apps that "appear" to still having root permissions while you don't technically have root. This is likely changes in file structure or registry values which need root initially in order to make the changes, but once changed the root permissions are no longer needed. The only way I know to resolve that issue is the Fastboot route.

Last edited:
OP
BiGG WiLL

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
Well its not really an issue. I kind of like it. I'm not rooted anymore yet I still have some root futures lol. But i'm going to look at rerooting once I find a new reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

kurosawa

Reaction score
My Maxx was updated.

I tried the Dan Rosenberg program. The way I found out it didn't work was I next installed OTA Rootkeeper and it told me it wasn't rooted.

So I used the rollback, then rooted with Doomlord V2. Then the phone refused to send text messages. Also I made a voice call and the other party couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them.

At this point, I took a chance and followed your instructions for flashing above. Seemed like nothing was going on but I left the phone on.

I went to work and when I came back, the phone had a white light on the front and I had a tough time starting it back up.

I couldn't start it with the power/up/down combination, and I couldn't start it plugged into the laptop.

When I finally did get it to start it showed me a "damaged SD card" error.

Also the phone was at 5% charge, so maybe it turned itself off while stuff was happening (when I left it was fully charged).

(a) Is the phone trashed?

(b) If not, how can I get back on track?

Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My Maxx was updated.

I tried the Dan Rosenberg program. The way I found out it didn't work was I next installed OTA Rootkeeper and it told me it wasn't rooted.

So I used the rollback, then rooted with Doomlord V2. Then the phone refused to send text messages. Also I made a voice call and the other party couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them.

At this point, I took a chance and followed your instructions for flashing above. Seemed like nothing was going on but I left the phone on.

I went to work and when I came back, the phone had a white light on the front and I had a tough time starting it back up.

I couldn't start it with the power/up/down combination, and I couldn't start it plugged into the laptop.

When I finally did get it to start it showed me a "damaged SD card" error.

Also the phone was at 5% charge, so maybe it turned itself off while stuff was happening (when I left it was fully charged).

(a) Is the phone trashed?

(b) If not, how can I get back on track?

Thanks!

Wow, that's a bummer. I would first try to see if you can charge it. Having at least 60%-70% charge is crucial. If it disconnects due to battery while updating, RSD Lite will fail and the update will fail. Sounds like you got stuck in a loop while updating and then the battery was simply being discharged until it quit.

If you can't get it to take a charge the normal way, try holding the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time, then when it shuts down, simply plug in. It may seem like nothing is happening for a long time, even an hour or more, but eventually it may simply try booting. Let it continue charging until it has better than 60%. Then go back and try again, but this time use Matt's app...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.html

It has all the parts in one neat package and it's menu driven so RSD Lite isn't necessary. Good luck.

iguanad

Reaction score
Phone arena has link to new 2.3.6 root.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kurosawa

Reaction score
Wow, that's a bummer. I would first try to see if you can charge it. Having at least 60%-70% charge is crucial. If it disconnects due to battery while updating, RSD Lite will fail and the update will fail. Sounds like you got stuck in a loop while updating and then the battery was simply being discharged until it quit.

If you can't get it to take a charge the normal way, try holding the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time, then when it shuts down, simply plug in. It may seem like nothing is happening for a long time, even an hour or more, but eventually it may simply try booting. Let it continue charging until it has better than 60%. Then go back and try again, but this time use Matt's app...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.html

It has all the parts in one neat package and it's menu driven so RSD Lite isn't necessary. Good luck.

Thanks! Everything's working now.

Cinoib

Reaction score
Please forgive me if you have answered this in another post...

I have a Razr Maxx. I am not rooted. I want to root. I received the 2.3.6 update, installed it and the Maxx is working just fine.

I've been through all of this with my Droid Bionic. I started out with .886. I rooted it with Petes. I then lost root when I took the OTA for .894. I found yet another root. Then I took the .902 OTA, lost root and finally re-rooted with Motofail. Funny, I too had some rooted apps that continued to work after loosing root to the .902 update and Titanium Back up was not one of them. Also, I lost the ability to use SqLite. I could have used Forever Root for the Bionic and saved myself a lot of time.

Sooo, is this root you are talking about a root that will carry me through the update of ICS? My guess is that it won't in that ICS is a whole new OS to the Razr Maxx. But if I don't get ICS until Q3, I am tempted to root and just deal with it when ICS comes.

Most importantly, taking this root won't kick me off of the upgrade path - right?

There were leaked updates that Bionic owners took and once Moto figured it out, they through the leaked update users under the bus (off the upgrade path).

New update. Root for 2.3.6 has been achieved! Go to Security Research by Dan Rosenberg to download the hack. Link provided by smalltowngirl13.

dancedroid

Note: This will not fix the issue you have with apps that "appear" to still having root permissions while you don't technically have root. This is likely changes in file structure or registry values which need root initially in order to make the changes, but once changed the root permissions are no longer needed. The only way I know to resolve that issue is the Fastboot route.

Cinoib

Reaction score
Interesting... The root for the Bionic having received the .902 OTA is Motofail_Windows. The update for the Razr with the new update 6.12.173 at Mr. Rosnberg's site is Motofail_Windows(1). The size of the two files is different (like 1,799 vs 1,800). This isn't isn't the same file as the root for the Bionic is it?

dancedroid