A stylus Motorola Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by ActionHank, Nov 8, 2009.

1. ActionHank

ActionHank New Member

First off, I'm a sucker for pin point precision.

I understand that this phone is designed for use with the fingers only, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a stylus that actually works with the Droid. I've tried 3 different kinds that were available to me and I received no response at all. However, as I don't recommend it, I have managed to figure out that a slightly, and I do mean SLIGHTLY damp paper towel does actually create enough of a connection to generate a response. A thin layer of paper towel that's been rubber banded to the eraser of a pencil is my prototype at the moment.

This is not practical, and of course we all know that water and cellphones are mortal enemies. But I would love to know if anyone has come across a stylus that can be used with the Droid.
  2. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

Google "iphone stylus" and you'll find more of 'em than you can shake a stick at.
  3. ActionHank

ActionHank New Member

Why thank you sir. These do look promising! =)
  4. kingsman

kingsman New Member

Have you tried TenOne's POGO Sketch stylus. Has a magnet in the tip. Wanting to know if they work.
  5. kingsman

kingsman New Member

You didn't mention the brands of the stylii you tried?
  6. ActionHank

ActionHank New Member

I have to be honest. The stylus that I tried were not exactly conventional. Just ones that happen to be laying around.

1. My girlfriend's phone had one, I didn't note what it was at the time.

2. The stylus to a Nintendo DS

3. The pen to a Wacom Intuos 4

Any suggestion would have been a good one.
  7. Sweet Daddy

Sweet Daddy New Member

A stylus? Yuck! (No offense!)
  8. gardobus

gardobus New Member

DS/Wacom/etc stylii won't work because those touchscreens rely on pressure on the screen while the Droid/iPhone/Storm have capacitative glass touchscreens. That's why you need a special "iphone stylus"
  9. kingsman

kingsman New Member

Digg, your reply indicates that you have not worked with FITALY. It is, IMHO, the best ever system for inputting text and numbers on a PDA/SmartPhone device. I am hoping there will be enough stylus interest that FITALY will become available for DROID.
  10. kingsman

kingsman New Member

Thanks for the input. I have been researching the Ten One POGO. Just ordered one. It reportedly works fine on the iPhone. Expect it will on DROID too. Great if so. My fingers have a tough time with the onscreen keyboard and with a number of the games.

Update: I got my POGO Sketch and I am finding the POGO Sketch to be really handy on the virtual keyboard. Now if the FITALY folks would just port (?) their screen to Droid, we would be in business. (You may need to talk with some PALM users to really appreciate FITALY)
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  11. JAM

JAM New Member

Quote: "I have been researching the Ten One POGO. Just ordered one. It reportedly works fine on the iPhone. Expect it will on DROID too."

Please let us know if the POGO works - I've been wondering...
  12. kingsman

kingsman New Member

Jam, thanks for the question. The POGO Stylus does not work nearly as well as I had hoped. On the vertual keyboard it's ok, not great but OK. But for gaming it seems to interact with the elements, "moves it, then the elements bounces back where it was". Sometimes moves things, sometimes not. Haven't had enought time to really check it out, but for now I don't recommend it.

I want to rescind that "don't recommend it". The Sketch works so much better on the virtual keyboard as I get more experience with it. Because of my FITALY background, it just seems so clumsy typing with one finger on a QWERTY keyboard. FITALY is a breeze after you get over the learning curve. Some people get 60-70 words per minute on a test.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  13. pwjone1

pwjone1 New Member

14. kingsman

kingsman New Member

I want to rescind that "don't recommend it". The Sketch works so much better on the virtual keyboard as I get more experience with it. Because of my FITALY background, it just seems so clumsy typing with one finger on a QWERTY keyboard. FITALY is a breeze after you get over the learning curve. Some people get 60-70 words per minute on a test.
  15. kingsman

kingsman New Member

I just want to emphasize, the POGO Sketch stylus works. It has a magnet under the foam tip, and that magnet 'talks' to the capacitive screen.
  16. wmolner

wmolner New Member

Cell Phone Shop Touch Stylus Pen For Droid not work

I recently bought a stylus from the Cell Phone Shop online for a "Touch Stylus Pen For Apple iPhone, iPod touch, Touch Screens, Cliq, Droid, Nexus." IT DOES NOT WORK ON THE MOTOROLA DROID. I only paid 7.98 with shipping for it so I'm not out a lot of money (the stylus itself was on sale for $2.99; the shipping was $4.99!)
    It actually works just a little bit and maybe 3 out of 10 tries, and then not very good results. Your finger is totally better. Basically useless as a working stylus.

Touch Stylus Pen For Apple iPhone, iPod touch, Touch Screens, Cliq, Droid, Nexus - Nexus One

----------------------------------------------------------
    Pocket Solutions (online) has a
    Verizon Motorola Droid Stylus for $12.95 and $1.98 shipping. But they stopped selling it because it doesn't work. They are awaiting a shipment of Droid styluses that work before filling orders. They will email me when those become available. They were very forthcoming and honest about the problem
    Verizon Motorola Droid Stylus : (5 Star Rating): Google Checkout available.
  17. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer Theme Developer

just use the negative side of a battery. AA AAA
  18. sculptedstylus

sculptedstylus New Member

Still Searching

As you might infer from my avatar, I was a stylus maker in a previous existence (Tapwave Zodiac), and I'm in the process of trying to find (and possibly utilize), a stylus that would work on the Droid X. I thought that Pandroid's comment about using the negative end of a battery was interesting, but when I tried it, it gave me the same results as my trial with the Boxwave stylus. It certainly will register on the screen and open apps, but is unable to use the swipe function. If you try to swipe across the screen it will open the first app it encounters! Well, back to the hunt...
  19. kingsman

kingsman New Member

Try the TenOne Pogo Sketch. Works fine for me.

I just wish someone would give us a Palm style Memo pad, and wish the FITALY folks would get their conversion published.
  20. sculptedstylus

sculptedstylus New Member

I was also a Fitaly user, but then adopted MessageEase, a similar keyboard, and felt the same way you did! I actually found MessageEase for the Android OS and installed it on my DX, but that although it was great for stylus input, it was not conducive for touch screens! If Fitaly is developed for the Droi, you may find the same holds true for it. I think Swipe isĀ£ probably the best option for touch screens at the moment!
Search tags for this page
can you use a stylus with a driox x
droid 3, stylus

droid stylus

droid x stylus

motorola droid stylus

stylus for droid

stylus for droid phone

stylus for droid x

stylus for motorola droid
stylus motorola droid
what can i use as a stylus for my droid x