A really qwik Rom question

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You dont if you are staying on the same base usually. But you should anyway to avoid bugs. There's usually an update.zip accompanied for keeping data.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You dont if you are staying on the same base usually. But you should anyway to avoid bugs. There's usually an update.zip accompanied for keeping data.

By Base you mean 2.1, 2.0.1 right?

Yes, and no. Usually that is safe. But the old droidmod was an ere25 base, and ultimatedroid was ese53..they dont play well together.

My advice is spend the $4 get titanium advanced backup full. It will backup all data and apps. It's a must if youre going to flash roms often.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, yesterday, i asked the same question to a Droid Ninja via a PM. He advised that unless I was having issues, I would be able to move from rom to rom (BB to SS to UD,BD) without doing a wipe. When I moved from a 2.0.1 to a 2.1 rom I had to wipe my sense is that moving from on 2.1 to another can be done without wiping.

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing Titanium mentioned as a backup app. What advantages does it provide that MyBackup does not?

Mike

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Interestingly, yesterday, i asked the same question to a Droid Ninja via a PM. He advised that unless I was having issues, I would be able to move from rom to rom (BB to SS to UD,BD) without doing a wipe. When I moved from a 2.0.1 to a 2.1 rom I had to wipe my sense is that moving from on 2.1 to another can be done without wiping.

Mike

Technically yes you can move from ROM to ROM if all 2.1 or all 2.0.1 without wiping. But you may have issues. And as I prefer to not have issues I backup what I need and do a wipe every time. Never had an issue with wiping, have had some weird issues when I forgot to. Its up to you though.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was my sense as well. Starting with a clean space seems to eliminate unnecessary issues.

Mike

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I keep seeing Titanium mentioned as a backup app. What advantages does it provide that MyBackup does not?

Mike

I haven't used mybackup to tell you. But I know titanium will restore all o your data. Which is nice. Playlists, settings, bookmars and all this. It will batch backup and restore. So it's pretty much one click restore when you throw a new rom on. It will even save your overclock settings!

JRogers1978

Reaction score

Mike

Titanium will link your backed up apps to the market so they'll show up in Downloads. MyBackup does not so you wouldn't be able to get updates for them.

OP
IxMissxN'xLovexMyxDroid
Reaction score
Well I was running DroidMod, but I wanted to explore some other Roms (It was my first unless you want to call Sholes, and DroidMod completely different. But yet again they kinda are) so I switched to Bugless Beast (didn't wipe, and no problems without wiping). Which I liked a lot. I used that for about a day and a half, then switched to Cyanogen for Droid of course. I think I had to wipe to get bugs fixed. I then switched from that to my current Rom UltimateDroid (Which is absolutely amazing), but I felt the urge to explore some more. (Btw Ultimate required wipe to fix bootloop) I just didn't want to go through these bugs again. Thanks all.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. When I moved to a 2.1 rom, I used Mybackup. It did the job but I do not believe that it save playlists, bookmarks, and settings.

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

Titanium will link your backed up apps to the market so they'll show up in Downloads. MyBackup does not so you wouldn't be able to get updates for them.

I just checked MyBackup. When I tap backup and select apps it does provide three options. apk. data, and apk&data. If I select data I can choose to store on SD card or Online.

So if I understand correctly, Titanium is linked to the Market and MyBackup is not.

Mike