A Plan For A Brighter Android Future

zoe

Reaction score
with you wug, I'm more active on dxf but I'll still be eyeballing this thread here as well

[insert_here]

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
@UNC
I did draw things from your comments. You were calling me out a lot but you made valid points. So it's all good. I thought about this a long time ago... but it didn't become clear for me until recently.

{{ WugFresh }}

Oxymoron

Reaction score
Great plan. Count me in. If anything comes to mind, I'll share. Would love to help in some way.

...but seriously.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've always said the same thing to VZ for home internet.

I'd do up a "Geek Bundle"

Phone, Cable (with no sports channels at all, but lots of sci fi and science channels)

And the DSL would be as fast as a T1, for those torrent downloads or LAN blasts at your residence.

(a) they pay more money and (b) they have relatively less problems."

I disagree here.

Stock users pay just as much as we do, they just either don't wish to root, don't know about rooting, afraid to do so for fear of warrenty reprisal, or just don't wish to.

I don't belive they have less issues either, because you cannot group issues relating to rooting and installing custom ROMS in the same category, we choose to do that, and have to take what we get with it (ie loss of a function/functions while the devs figure it out).

I think on occasion we actually experience less issues, unless it is HW related, because of the community in which we have joined.

For example, take the "stock" dialer on the D1, stock is stock, but if running CM, you have the same thing, but with more options and functionality due to CyContacts.

For what could be called an issue by a stock user may just be that the stock OS doesn't have that functionality available. To them it is a bug, but to us, we know the story ...

I'm with you on all other points, well done!

armedmonkey

Reaction score
One minor concern I have is that it needs to be fair to root users who DONT use one of data.

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Wow Wug. This is impressive. If carriers don't brother taking even a look then I have no hope for American corporations at all.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

jjlittle1

Reaction score
I was thinking about your developer warranty and instead of having a 15 or 30 day warranty, you would have an insurance plan that you pay monthly just like you pay for insurance and if you use that insurance you send in your phone to have in replaced and pay $100 or some fee to receive a new one. I would think that those phones sent in could be reflashed by the manufacturers or insurance company and resold as reconditioned. This was your insured if its bricked and each side is covered.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've always said the same thing to VZ for home internet.

I'd do up a "Geek Bundle"

Phone, Cable (with no sports channels at all, but lots of sci fi and science channels)

And the DSL would be as fast as a T1, for those torrent downloads or LAN blasts at your residence.

(a) they pay more money and (b) they have relatively less problems."

I disagree here.

Stock users pay just as much as we do, they just either don't wish to root, don't know about rooting, afraid to do so for fear of warrenty reprisal, or just don't wish to.

I don't belive they have less issues either, because you cannot group issues relating to rooting and installing custom ROMS in the same category, we choose to do that, and have to take what we get with it (ie loss of a function/functions while the devs figure it out).

I think on occasion we actually experience less issues, unless it is HW related, because of the community in which we have joined.

For example, take the "stock" dialer on the D1, stock is stock, but if running CM, you have the same thing, but with more options and functionality due to CyContacts.

For what could be called an issue by a stock user may just be that the stock OS doesn't have that functionality available. To them it is a bug, but to us, we know the story ...

I'm with you on all other points, well done!

I agree that root users are not the only one sending in phones and working the system. Last summer when people got a d2 as a replacement for the d1 you had people making up issues to get a d2 and many of them were stock users. I am sure if they did a study there are stock users who tether a lot through pda net and send in phones that are not really broken. We know about the hackers doing it because they are on our forums talking about it. They had a few ota's from vzw that bricked dxs. So all the blame can not be put on hacking, but we do deserve some of the blame.

P3Droid

Reaction score
Nice write up. I hear you are looking for me but your method of asking for assistance while at the same time saying you don't believe anyting I've said is very tacky, your very thread is based on the premise that what I have said is true.

"I also forgot to mention that I don't think that any of this is happening right now and I don't believe anything P3Droid says whatsoever. But you guys are free to form your own opinions on that. I don't want to derail this thread to much, but I did start this whole plan in response to his android apocalypse thread. My general opinion about what is going on is that service providers don't want root users and are thinking of how they can phase that out but nothing is concrete. But I don't think they are tracking me, and I think we can still tether. At this point P3Droid has lost all credibility to me. Until he provides one piece of solid information then I refuse to believe anything he says. I'll take his OS leaks though those are tangible at least."

I do not care what you believe or what others who are not in the know believe, I put it out there for you formulate your own opinion.

As for your write up, remember I've consistently stated since October of last year that this is not confined to one carrier or manufacturer, this is industry wide.

Last edited:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
P3, take a step back. This is about having a viable option to truly free our droids and wugfresh has stepped the game up many levels in preparing and writing out a call to arms, so to speak. You on the other hand are doing nothing positive for the community, unless you count inciting fear and hate a positive thing.

P3Droid

Reaction score
P3, take a step back. This is about having a viable option to truly free our droids and wugfresh has stepped the game up many levels in preparing and writing out a call to arms, so to speak. You on the other hand are doing nothing positive for the community, unless you count inciting fear and hate a positive thing.

Step back from what, the OP is well articulated and thought out, i merely pointed to a secondary post of the op. In the interest of this thread all, including the OP, should have only focused on his informative OP, but when it turned to a personal nature then those posts are off topic, i'm sure the OP would see that his post I quoted had no informative value while his original post did.

The last part of your post is just asinine, "fear and hate" really?

Then you jumped in to add futher B.S. to the thread while calling attention to the fact that the thread is not about B.S., you make a very silly and uninformed post (most likely because you lack the inkling to be informed) that I and TBH do nothing positive for the community. I am quite certain that someone should come clean this thread up before it too gets out of hand and will need to be closed.

Last edited:

Mycahya

Reaction score
I think we all collectively need to take more respectful look at what p3droid has actually done for the community... so easily people forget the work he did in the OG Droid community. the guy has been around for quite a while and every ROM my droid X has run has been based off one of his leaks... And to reference the post p3droid put out about the carriers the other day, if you took that as an incitement of hate or fear. I urge you to look in the mirror and see if those feeling were not already present before that blogpost was put up. The information he put out though cautionary at best, was simply a relay of information recieved. I am not so quick to flame the messenger in this instance.

Now I would also like to weigh in on what I feel is the most consolidated plan of action concerning the discrimination put to the root community by the carriers.

I am extremely excited to throw my support behind this call to action. and will help in any way am able. I believe WugFresh hit a bullseye. Carriers only answer to one thing... $$$$. Because of the relative success of the android platform, it is no longer in our power to use the might of the dollar against a particular manufacturer, because (as p3droid said, and evidence shows(HTC thunderbolt signed images&kernel)) all manufacturers seem to be headed toward this root locked mentality. So we must turn our focus on the carriers. And lets be honest they have us at an EXTREME advantage. ie: two year contracts, lack of viable competition(meaning a limited number of wireless carriers), the ever growing demand for higher powered data capable devices, etc... The only true recourse we have is to match or exceed the monetary input of those that are not part of the Root Community, and provide assurance of safety from negligent users who abuse resources such as warranties. To do this we as a community need clear resources at our disposal to unbrick a device, to turn to with questions... This is all stated very concisely in the OP. Kudos to you WugFresh I applaud your initiative and the completeness of your plan of action. with upward thinks such as these we will surely win this battle for Root control over the devices we buy.