Droid on Alltel Plan in Phoenix - Data Issues

btonetbone

Reaction score
Hi all -
My fiancee and I are on a shared Alltel plan that has a whole bunch of minutes, unlimited data/texts/MMS, etc.

We upgraded to Droids a few months ago, and now our data coverage in the central Phoenix, AZ area is pretty lame. Our data goes in and out, and does not stay connected. We switch from 3G to 1x to nothing all the time.

We tried to use the latest regular PRLs (40064), and it didn't fix anything. I spoke with Verizon, and they pushed a hybrid PRL to us (46003) and it's still the same. The only other thing they could recommend is abandonning our Altell plan, but that'd cost an extra $40/month for equivalent minutes/features and I don't want to fork that up.

Data coverage is really only bad within a few miles of our apartment (at Central and Camelback), and is fantastic throughout the rest of the Phoenix metro area.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on how we might be able to fix this?

We are on BB 1.1 and the new Froyo with the latest basebands (including the brand new one that was just released) between both our Droids, and I'm willing to try almost anything.

Thanks!
Ivan

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
isnt alltel now verizon

so shouldnt it all run off ther same network i live in phoenix also 32nd st and union hills everything runs fine for me

OP
B

btonetbone

Reaction score
isnt alltel now verizon

so shouldnt it all run off ther same network i live in phoenix also 32nd st and union hills everything runs fine for me

Yes, Verizon owns Alltel. But since I'm on a plan that is still Alltel pricing, they are basically segmenting us. I don't quite know why and can't get a good answer. But it is impacting my service.

Are you on a Verizon plan or an Alltel plan?

klumos

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the droid here in my area, I even switched to a Verizon plan to fix the issue it did not work. The only fix for it is flashing a verizon prl to the phone. I'm not sure what prl is used over there but the one I used was 51638 and it works flawless. I get 3G all over now. Theres guides all over the internet on how this is done. If you need help let me know.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
I'm in Phoenix, on a Verizon plan with PRL 51893 if that helps.

I get some dips into 1x when I drive home (Queen Creek/San Tan Valley), but I've yet to completely lose data coverage.