a lil confused about custom ROMS

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Ok if u ever brick ur phone its simple, first put ur phone in bootloader mode by pressing vol up, camera and power @ the same time, once the black bootloader screen comes up, then fire up rsd on ur computer, press the 3 dotted button navigate to ur sbf and select it. Once rsd has the sbf selected connecct ur phone to usb n rsd should read it. Once ur phone is read press flash and let it do its thing. Once its done ur going to have to root again.

U can find fission on the fission rom manager I believe. Try the fission website.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Sweet, I'm pretty sure I got it down now, tho I am still gonna look up some visual aids thru youtube. So thanks everyone for all the helpful replies, I really appreciate the help and patientence with me figuring this **** out. Just wanted to be sure so I don't permantely screw up my brand new phone since I'm pretty sure my insurance doesn't cover hacking lol and I don't wanna have to go back to using my ****ty LG voyager until I can either afford a new phone at full price or am eligible for upgrade in another 18months hahaha

Reaction score
Sweet, I'm pretty sure I got it down now, tho I am still gonna look up some visual aids thru youtube. So thanks everyone for all the helpful replies, I really appreciate the help and patientence with me figuring this **** out. Just wanted to be sure so I don't permantely screw up my brand new phone since I'm pretty sure my insurance doesn't cover hacking lol and I don't wanna have to go back to using my ****ty LG voyager until I can either afford a new phone at full price or am eligible for upgrade in another 18months hahaha

Glad you see the light! Hope to see you around the forum helping others soon! :D

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
So i downloaded Clockwork Mod ROM Manager, cause I remember someone saying it was a good idea to download. But Now I cant remember what the purpose of it was. is this something I need. I already have to download the Fission ROM Manager (which I'm still trying to decide between lite or full, I'm confused on the fact that one comes with themes and one doesn't). What is the purpose of Clockwork Mod Rom Manager ? Cause when I open it, it talks about flash recovery and all this other stuff, and I thought that the Droid 2 Bootstrapper App I downloaded was for making Nandroid Backups, and Booting into Recovery, and Flashing new ROMS ? God damn, everytime I think I got this, Some other variable pops up lol so do I need this app, or not, and regardless of if I do need it or not, jsut cause I like to have as much knowledge as possible, what does it do. My guess is its for downloading Custom ROMS and then flashing them, but since Fission isn't on there, thats why I need to download the Fission ROM Manager instead....Am I correct so far ?

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Also, "DroidDoes" suggested I hit up the good ol' YouTube to find a tutorial vid on how to use bootstrapper, to make a backup and flash Custom ROMs onto my D2G, and so I found this one - [video=youtube;Igc22dBbZeA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igc22dBbZeA[/video] - about doing exactly that on a OG Droid 2 (Figured it was the same Process, But I know I just cant use the same ROMs, since Fission is the only one that works on the D2G as of yet) and I wanted to see what you guys thought about this tutorial vid, and tell me if its a good one to follow. Thanks for all the help guys, I really really appreciate it. I haven't been this stoked since I built my first Custom PC, or hacked my first console or modded my first video game lol (man I've come so far, since i Started building PC's when i was 15. The Phone is like my final frontier, I've hacked pretty much everything else lol I love technology!) So yea, let me know if you think this is a good vid to follow.....Oh and Hey, I swear that I heard somewhere on this forum, that people are getting a ROM called "Liberty" to work on their D2G's ! Any truth in this ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
So i downloaded Clockwork Mod ROM Manager, cause I remember someone saying it was a good idea to download. But Now I cant remember what the purpose of it was. is this something I need. I already have to download the Fission ROM Manager (which I'm still trying to decide between lite or full, I'm confused on the fact that one comes with themes and one doesn't). What is the purpose of Clockwork Mod Rom Manager ? Cause when I open it, it talks about flash recovery and all this other stuff, and I thought that the Droid 2 Bootstrapper App I downloaded was for making Nandroid Backups, and Booting into Recovery, and Flashing new ROMS ? God damn, everytime I think I got this, Some other variable pops up lol so do I need this app, or not, and regardless of if I do need it or not, jsut cause I like to have as much knowledge as possible, what does it do. My guess is its for downloading Custom ROMS and then flashing them, but since Fission isn't on there, thats why I need to download the Fission ROM Manager instead....Am I correct so far ?

Dude, I get that you're cautious, and you're a nerd, and you want to do this JUST RIGHT... But you're overthinking EVERYTHING and making it harder than it is, confusing yourself, and posting repetitive questions. If you can take apart and mod a console or build your own PC, this is literally child's play. You click a few buttons, and you're done. The whole process is essentially idiot proof.

You don't need to download CWR because when you use Koush's bootstrapper, it installs it for you.

Let me make this as simple as possible for you.

Here is team defuse's website with a full walkthrough of how to flash Fission.

Here is the download for Fission ROM manager lite.

Here is the link for Koush's bootstrapper, for free, from Koush himself... Though it appears to be down right now, this is where I got my copy, keep an eye out, it should come back up.

If you can't install Fission with those things right in front of you... Well, you probably shouldn't. :icon_eek:

Hope that helps. dancedroid

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Sweet, I successfully Flashed FISSION ROM to my D2G ! and its amazing so far. But now I just wanna know, how to I make my notification bar Black ! I've seen screenshots of people who have the D2G with FISSION flashed on it, and their notification bar is black ! so how do I go about doing that ? and setting up other themes/icons ?

EDIT - so there seems to be one problem, whenever I try and open up the marketplace, it keeps saying there is a network error ! wtf is that, and how do i fix it ?

EDIT 2 - Fixed it, it seems after you flash Fission, it automatically turns your WiFi on, but doesn't connect to a network, so thats why it wouldn't load, I turned Wifi off, and my 3G came back, and marketplace worked fine, and then I re-set up my WiFi settings, and that works perfect now too. So just a heads up to people who flash Fission, thats how you fix the marketplace error !

Last edited:

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Go to the fission website and they have a fix .zip to flash and it will fix your market. Or try and flash a newer version of market since its already out.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Go to the fission website and they have a fix .zip to flash and it will fix your market. Or try and flash a newer version of market since its already out.

like i asid, I fixed it, it was just that my WiFi was on but not connected to any network and i didn;t realize it, that was all. Market Works Fine now

Reaction score
I don't think threads get closed, unless they can have no useful additions (i.e., flamewars)

Glad you got it working. Did you figure out how to flash themes yet? If not, you have to put them in your download queue, then your install queue, just like you did the ROM itself. They're all available under the list downloads button in FRM. I personally had terrible battery issues when I flashed Thirdeye's Black Theme, which sucks, because it looks phenomenal. I'm currently running BlackOut Preview, and loving it.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
yea i figured it out, thanks bro. I'm running the Gingerbread theme with the full animations, and I dig it. i've had my phone unplugged for over 4hours and it just now went down to 80% while I was playing Angry Birds. Its amazing, before I flashed Fission, my battery would be well under 50 to 40%. And my phone runs so much fast, and I bet once I overclock, it will be even better. I can't wait for more ROMs to come out. I guess they almost have all the kinks worked out for the Liberty ROM, they just need to fix the sensor issue, or so I hear. One question tho, when I install a new theme, i dont need to wipe my data or cache do I. I didn't do that when I installed the GB theme, and it works fine, but I just wanted to make sure. Oh and also, my GMAIL, does seemed to by notifying me like its supposed to. Before I flashed FISSION, it would play a sound and vibrate, and show an icon in the notification bar, but it wont do that anymore, is there a fix for that as well ?

edit - fixed my gmail issue, and my FB issue (didn't mention the FB issue on here) so just so people know, if after flashing Fission or any othe ROM, if your Gmail isn't pushing your notifications to you, make sure obviously its set to sync in your accounts settings. and if thats not the issue, like it wasn't for me, then go to settings/applications/manage applications/running/gmail and then hit clear data, and wait for it to re-sync, and thats what fixed it for me !

Last edited:

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Nice to hear that all worked out for ya. I just got one of these D2Gs myself and having been flashing my D1 all the time I had some new tricks to learn. Mine is running the Fission, with ADW and the TRON theme with Icons. Pretty cool but hopefully we'll have more options as time goes on.