a lil confused about custom ROMS

Reaction score
ok so I got Droid 2 Bootstrapper on my phone, and I get how I make a backup of my phone, but what is the SBF and RSDLite app for ?

and once i make a nandroid back up of my phone, how do I actually install the custom ROM, which Fission is what I'm going to be using !

edit - so correct me if I'm wrong, but the SBF and RSDlite, is for if I need to flash recover my phone with the backup i made, right ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok so I got Droid 2 Bootstrapper on my phone, and I get how I make a backup of my phone, but what is the SBF and RSDLite app for ?

and once i make a nandroid back up of my phone, how do I actually install the custom ROM, which Fission is what I'm going to be using !

edit - so correct me if I'm wrong, but the SBF and RSDlite, is for if I need to flash recover my phone with the backup i made, right ?

Actually the sbf and rsdlite are used to unbrick your phone if something goes wrong. So always make sure your battery is fully charged and you shouldn't have a problem as long as it is a stable and working rom!

Now to install a rom, on your phone go to your bootstraper and click bootstrap then click bootstrap recovery, from there you will get to a terminal like screen with green text and a black background. You will use the volume keys to move up and down the list and the camera button to select items.

First, you will want to select wipe data, then select wipe cache, then go into the advanced area and select wipe dalvik cache. Hit the power button to go back to the main screen. Next hit install from sd card, in that menu, select choose .zip file and then select your zip file. Finally when you have selected it, hit yes you want to install option and let it run.

When it finishes, hit the power button to go back to the main screen and hit restart and you will boot into your new rom!

Word of advice... always stay fully charged when changing anything cruicial to the framework and bootstrap before you restart for the first time since you have to bootstrap after every new rom install and bootstrapping will mean you won't ever have to use rsdlite.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
ok, so as far as backing up my phone and fixing it in case i brick it, what all i do i have to do, so once i bootstrap, that makes a back up right ? and i need to put the SBF and RSDlite on my phone, in case it does brick right ? so if it does brick what do I do

the SBF and RSDlite are what install my backup in case somethign goes wrong ?

edit - ok I'm still a lil confused lol so I use bootstrap to make a backup of my stock phone in case I need to recover it, and I also use it for installing custom roms, do I have that right ? so once i load up bootstrapper, i click on "Bootstrap Recovery" and once that is done and it says "success" i click on "reboot recovery" which will take me to where i can make my backups and install ROMS ? do I have that right as well? and so once i make a backup of my stock phone, then I can install a custom rom, but what I'm not sure about is, what if I do brick my phone and need to install from my backup, how do I do that ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok, so as far as backing up my phone and fixing it in case i brick it, what all i do i have to do, so once i bootstrap, that makes a back up right ? and i need to put the SBF and RSDlite on my phone, in case it does brick right ? so if it does brick what do I do

the SBF and RSDlite are what install my backup in case somethign goes wrong ?

No rsdlite is a computer program and both rsdlite and the sbf stay on your computer.

Also, bootstrap DOESN'T make a backup. It is what makes it possible to boot into clockwork recovery instead of the os.

Reaction score
Sorry forgot about your other questions but if it bricks, you will plug it into your computer and hold the power button and the up arrow if I remember right on the physical keyboard. Then you run rsdlite on your computer. Google around for further detail please it is all over the internet.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Oh so, the SBF is the back up of the stock OS for my phone, so its what I use in case I brick my phone and need to go back to the original OS? Right? But when I was reading how to use the bootstrapper it says that it allows you to make a nanroid backup, what is that for....so I use the bootstrapper, go into recovery, wipe my data and cache, then I can install my rom? Am I right so far. And if I brick my phone I plug it into my PC and use the SBF and RSDlite to fix it and recover my original OS? Right?

blumpkinblake

Reaction score
Nandroid backup is basically taking every single thing you have (apps, text messages, call history) your rom, and backing it up. You do this incase you messup and don't have to start over. You just restore your nandroid backup.

Alsoabout "brick" If you get a bootloop, rsdlite is the program on your computer made by motorola to restore you phone to factory settings. Once you get it to factory, you can reinstall the root and bootstrap and restore your nandroid backup that you made and not lose everything.

Asphyx

Reaction score
To the OP Do you have a D2G (GLobal?)
Be careful and mind advice you may be getting if the poster does not have a D2G and merely a droid2

They are very different systems and the ROMs for both are not compatible!!!
Don't go flashing a D2 rom on a D2G or you will become VERY familiar with RSDLite and the SBF flash!

Take it as a warning!

Right now there are only two Roms available for D2G.

One is a Blurless stock rom by Hexor and the other is Fission by Angdroid.

You don't need to use or make Recovery (It does need to be installed though) to install Fission. Download the Fission Rom Manager (FRM) and follow their directions carefully.

The Blurless I believe does use the Boot Recovery but I have not bothered to try that.

the D2 and D2G have very different radios and you will be stuck in Airplane mode if you try and flash a D2 Rom onto a D2G.

It can be fixed with the Romer patch but it is not something I suggest you mess with if your new to flashing.

And keep in mind there are many types of backups that nandroid works with.
Some are full Roms with Driver packages, Radio and system (Most D2 are like this)
Fission itself is just a system backup and doesn't really mess with the Drivers or radio so if you find yourself with issues just flashing Fission over it will not work!

And in that case you will have to go back to stock using the SBF and RSDLite.

Note the Droid and Droid2 guys who responded - I am not saying you guys gave him any bad advice but the D2G is a hybrid radio system and I have seen many guys with other units give bad advice on Roms and which to use that has resulted in Bricks and tears.

If the OP has a D2G then he should go for the Fission first. Ley him get used to flashing before they move onto trying a D2 Rom with Romer.
Hopefully by then the Sensor issue is resolved and posts like mine won't be nedded anymore.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Yes I do have a D2G, hence why I'm posting in the D2G forum lol I think everyone else got that, and I already new about making sure I only use roms that work with the D2G, not the D2, I stated in my first post that I wanted to use, "Fission".

So I think I pretty much got it, but I'm still wondering what the SBF is for, does it work with RSDlite, so I need to download both the SBF and RSDlite, and I heard that I can get the SBF from an app in the market, by team black hat, which all I found from them is a download manager, is that what I need? And lastly, where can I download the latest version of Fission?

Oh and one more question, if I make a nandroid backup, does it just copy to my SD card? So if I have to use RSDlite, to unbrick my phone, after I do that, I just need to use the bootstrapper to load the nandroid backup from my SDcard, is that correct?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
I think u dnt have it quite down yet, I would advice for you to check out some youtube videos first, how to load a custom rom, how to unbrick a droid2G, once you see how they unbrick a phone you will know what he rsd, sbf, bootstrap are for and how they work. Take it step by step first learn everything about unbricking since that's the most important thing. Then learn what bootstrap is and how it works. Then learn how to back up your phone and how it works. Then learn loading a custom rom since that's the what you will be doing last. Don't rush it, that only creates BIG mistakes.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
Start by reading here...loads of info :)
To answer one of your questions though: RSD is the PC program, the sbf is the file flashed to your phone using RSD. It will restore your phone to "out of box" condition (no root either).
I know this can all be really confusing but, don't worry, you'll get it. As previously stated, take your time.
Further: Bootstrap merely flashes Clockworkmod Recovery and then reboots you into it. That's where the "magic" happens :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Yea, I'm definitely not rushing it, I've been researching for the last two days now, and I'm not gonna attempt anything til I'm a 110% sure I know what I'm doing. I build/mod Custom PC's and software, and well as do tech repair, I also do some modding on consoles as well, so I know the importance of research and not rushing into things, cause that's how mistakes are made. But it seems like I'm getting most of it down, I'm still just confused about the SBF/RSDlite and the whole unbricking process, other then that, I got it figured out. I'm definitely gonna take your advice and look up some you tube videos, its just hard to find a lot of stuff about the D2G since using custom ROMs on it, is still fairly new, whcih hopefully that will change cause I would like to see some more ROMs come out.

But I get what RSDlite does, but what does the SBF do, I know its part of restoring your phone if you brick it. Other then that, like I said, I get everything else, just need to get the unbricking process down, cause like was mentioned, that's the most important part!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's awesome!! You'll fit right in here! :)
Before Motorola sent out your phone, they flashed the sbf into it. Sbf is EVERYTHING about your phone...every part of the software is in the sbf. That's how everything is on your phone. If it wasn't for that file, we'd just have a device that wouldn't go passed the bootloader screen.

Yea, I'm definitely not rushing it, I've been researching for the last two days now, and I'm not gonna attempt anything til I'm a 110% sure I know what I'm doing. I build/mod Custom PC's and software, and well as do tech repair, I also do some modding on consoles as well, so I know the importance of research and not rushing into things, cause that's how mistakes are made. But it seems like I'm getting most of it down, I'm still just confused about the SBF/RSDlite and the whole unbricking process, other then that, I got it figured out. I'm definitely gonna take your advice and look up some you tube videos, its just hard to find a lot of stuff about the D2G since using custom ROMs on it, is still fairly new, whcih hopefully that will change cause I would like to see some more ROMs come out.

But I get what RSDlite does, but what does the SBF do, I know its part of restoring your phone if you brick it. Other then that, like I said, I get everything else, just need to get the unbricking process down, cause like was mentioned, that's the most important part!

DroidForums Junkie!!

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Just like DD said the sbf contains the system codes which tells the system what to display, when and where. So rsdlite is the program used to push the sbf into the phone, sbf is a file of codes and commands. If you use the wrong sbf you might brick your phone since you might try to run the wrong codes. there is more than one sbf out there, each sbf designed strictly for a system version Not Rom! So make sure u have the right sbf and everything after that is easy. Once u get the hang of rsd n sbf u will be unbricking phones in 5min or less. Its that easy.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Ok I totally get it, thanks. So I download the SBF file and RSDlite program onto my computer for when I need it. And if I do brick my phone (knock on wood), I hooke up the phone to my pc and run RSDlite and it uses the SBF file to restore my phone, and then I can use the nandroid back up I made with the bootstrapper to restore all my apps, settings and what not.

Ok one more question I have is where can I download the latest version of Fission ROM for my D2G?