A Concern

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Hey all i saw a few leaks of the leaked froyo for the galaxy s and something caught my eye. There's only 304 mb of RAM?? I mean 2.1 atleast has 384 mb... What is samsung doing with all that extra RAM? Will the 304 mb cause the phone to be laggy and slow? This kinda makes me think about getting a fascinate next week.. Is it confirmed that the froyo build will come with 304 mb of ram? What do you guys think? Will this cause a performance decrease?

bomber889

Reaction score
Hey all i saw a few leaks of the leaked froyo for the galaxy s and something caught my eye. There's only 304 mb of RAM?? I mean 2.1 atleast has 384 mb... What is samsung doing with all that extra RAM? Will the 304 mb cause the phone to be laggy and slow? This kinda makes me think about getting a fascinate next week.. Is it confirmed that the froyo build will come with 304 mb of ram? What do you guys think? Will this cause a performance decrease?

where did you see this? only thing confirmed in the update is the google apps i think

OP
G

Googleaddict

Reaction score

where did you see this? only thing confirmed in the update is the google apps i think

I saw it on some youtube vids. Its the leaked froyo build for the Captivate. So if their build has 304 mb i guess ours will too :S

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Am I misunderstanding something? Every article and spec sheet I can find shoes 512MB RAM.

I cant imagine Samsung releasing a phone with less, 512MB is pretty much the standard these days...

Are you talking about the size of the update? Or the amount of physical memory (RAM)? I'm confused.

OP
G

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Am I misunderstanding something? Every article and spec sheet I can find shoes 512MB RAM.

I cant imagine Samsung releasing a phone with less, 512MB is pretty much the standard these days...

Are you talking about the size of the update? Or the amount of physical memory (RAM)? I'm confused.

You are correct that there's 512mb in the phone, but in 2.1 only 384 mb are free for users, the rest is used for the samsung ui i think. now in the froyo builds i've seen there's only 304 mb free to users.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You are correct that there's 512mb in the phone, but in 2.1 only 384 mb are free for users, the rest is used for the samsung ui i think. now in the froyo builds i've seen there's only 304 mb free to users.

Got it -- RAM is physical memory, which is different than the size of a software update.

Typically in software programming, one of the tradespaces you have is size for speed. This means that often a developer will chose to make a software system larger in order to make it perform better, and vice versa.

I expect Samsung is using this this extra space to both add features, and increase the performance of their software.

OP
G

Googleaddict

Reaction score

Got it -- RAM is physical memory, which is different than the size of a software update.

Typically in software programming, one of the tradespaces you have is size for speed. This means that often a developer will chose to make a software system larger in order to make it perform better, and vice versa.

I expect Samsung is using this this extra space to both add features, and increase the performance of their software.

Hopefully you are right :D