8K TVS were at CES

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sharp_8k_LCD_TV-thumb-550x451.jpg

There were talk of 8K TVs being at CES and apparently they were there. Do you think it is too soon to release 8K TVs when technology has still yet to catch up to 4K or are you one already wanting to see 16K?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can our eyes see the difference?
You know that do not matter to us Americans. We want it because some one told us it was better.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I'm perfectly fine with 720p, of course I'm old enough to have had one of these growing up.

Wasn't new, not quite that old :)

00Y0Y_jdamVYwDK8V_600x450.jpg

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
While I'd like to pick up a 4K TV to replace our main 1080p set, I'll wait another year like I did for 1080p tv's to catch up. IMO there simply isn't enough content out to warrant the switch just yet.
Another year or two and the pricing will be much more reasonable and much more content will be available. Movie studios are already in the process of remastering their current 1080P library and it won't be long until 4K is the norm.
While streaming media is gaining more popularity, there's still a strong market for physical media and by the end of the year we'll begin to see an influx of 4K BluRay players. I enjoy the convenience of streaming movies, but you just can't beat the overall sound & picture quality that you get from physical media.

While it's nice to see 8K arriving on the scene, it's going to be a little while until it's "consumer ready".
But who knows, by next year I may end up bypassing 4K altogether and jumping right to 8K (although it will likely still be out of my price range), just as I bypassed the whole 720 phase to go with a 1080p set.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, most people probably don't sit close enough to the TV to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p - on a 55" television, you have to be less than 11 feet away. I suppose some people have very acute vision, but for the most part it's science and any perceived difference is imagined.

From 1080 to 4K, you now have to be 7" away from a 55" tv. Ummm, no, that's not comfortable to be that close.

Anyway, "8K" sells...and it's probably easier to do that than it is to improve things like the glass, contrast and color accuracy (which would be much more noticeable).

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Apparently there are still a few different statement competing for your dosh, a bit like Blu-ray versus the other HD system which is now consigned to oblivion, so the wise thing would be to hold your horses until one becomes dominant.