Sony's Xperia Z Takes Away a Ton of Awards From CES; Including 'Star of CES'

hotice

Reaction score
The specs failed to mention it has a MicroUSB port (fair enough to assume I guess) and a MicroHDMI (a great move and noteworthy since so many new phones are using a stupid MHL port - not even standard considering the GS3 needs its own MHL cable).

It's sad that this phone is so close to being awesome. The only problem with it is it has a glass back. What the heck!??! I hope it's at least gorrilla glass 3.

I wish companies besides moto would make phones that are well built, have large batteries, and have MicroHDMI ports. It's just impossible to get everything in one phone. Maybe the X-Phone will be right for me. I am very happy with my Maxx HD and the dual-core Snapdragon S4 sure has not let me down. I do think there are times that 2GB would make the thing feel completely butter-smooth but JB is better than ICS.

I'm glad to see Sony getting serious in the high-end Android game. I hope they bring the Z to Verizon for another great high end option.

npro1464

Reaction score
Looks awesome, but for whatever reason it won't gain traction. Maybe it's because they won't play ball enough with the carriers? Idk.

I wish Google would let them make the next Nexus. LG has done an awful job at getting phones out and should never be considered for another joint Google project ever again.

52brandon

Reaction score
The specs failed to mention it has a MicroUSB port (fair enough to assume I guess) and a MicroHDMI (a great move and noteworthy since so many new phones are using a stupid MHL port - not even standard considering the GS3 needs its own MHL cable).

It's sad that this phone is so close to being awesome. The only problem with it is it has a glass back. What the heck!??! I hope it's at least gorrilla glass 3.

I wish companies besides moto would make phones that are well built, have large batteries, and have MicroHDMI ports. It's just impossible to get everything in one phone. Maybe the X-Phone will be right for me. I am very happy with my Maxx HD and the dual-core Snapdragon S4 sure has not let me down. I do think there are times that 2GB would make the thing feel completely butter-smooth but JB is better than ICS.

I'm glad to see Sony getting serious in the high-end Android game. I hope they bring the Z to Verizon for another great high end option.
since HDMI is a digital signal, wouldn't a micro USB to HDMI cable work just as well though? I really don't know, as I've never tried either and never owned an HDMI phone, but that makes sense to me...

hotice

Reaction score
since HDMI is a digital signal, wouldn't a micro USB to HDMI cable work just as well though? I really don't know, as I've never tried either and never owned an HDMI phone, but that makes sense to me...
Here's my view...
1. Some phones will not charge when using MHL - or maybe it takes a different, split cable. Obviously this isn't a problem when you have separate HDMI and USB ports.
2. MHL for the GS3 is different than every other due to deficiencies in MHL. Samsung had to change it to make it good. I've never heard of deficiencies with MicroHDMI. I think it had to do with audio. This means two things, A. MHL cables are not all the same, B. Most MHL connections probably are not as good as MicroHDMI.
3. MHL cost more and are just not very standard, as eluded to in the previous comment. You can get a 10 foot long MicroHDMI cable from amazon for about $2.50 with about $2.50 for shipping. It looks like MHL cables are usually in the $15 range. I use the same cable with my Droid X, Maxx HD, BB Playbook (got it for free but it deserves much more credit than it gets), and Flip HD. That's pretty nice when my young daughters want to see an animated storybook app on the TV or we want to show home video from the Flip HD. I've even used the Playbook to watch NCIS off the networks web site on the TV.

I really wish all companies would just use MicroHDMI and kill off MHL.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome, but for whatever reason it won't gain traction. Maybe it's because they won't play ball enough with the carriers? Idk.

I wish Google would let them make the next Nexus. LG has done an awful job at getting phones out and should never be considered for another joint Google project ever again.

To make a statement like Samsung, yes, it needs to be on every major carrier without different, silly names and different looks. But regardless, it's Good phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

4low4fun

Reaction score

Maxx HD is the best phone on the market right now!! Maybe not ground breaking.. but its got solid specs and a battery that won't let you down like every other phone out there!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maxx HD is the best phone on the market right now!! Maybe not ground breaking.. but its got solid specs and a battery that won't let you down like every other phone out there!

The Note 2? Just as good battery life (I always get at least a day, the most being a day and 6hrs) with better features. :)

4low4fun

Reaction score
The Note 2? Just as good battery life (I always get at least a day, the most being a day and 6hrs) with better features. :)

If it didn't have touch wiz I would agree..

52brandon

Reaction score
Here's my view...
1. Some phones will not charge when using MHL - or maybe it takes a different, split cable. Obviously this isn't a problem when you have separate HDMI and USB ports.
2. MHL for the GS3 is different than every other due to deficiencies in MHL. Samsung had to change it to make it good. I've never heard of deficiencies with MicroHDMI. I think it had to do with audio. This means two things, A. MHL cables are not all the same, B. Most MHL connections probably are not as good as MicroHDMI.
3. MHL cost more and are just not very standard, as eluded to in the previous comment. You can get a 10 foot long MicroHDMI cable from amazon for about $2.50 with about $2.50 for shipping. It looks like MHL cables are usually in the $15 range. I use the same cable with my Droid X, Maxx HD, BB Playbook (got it for free but it deserves much more credit than it gets), and Flip HD. That's pretty nice when my young daughters want to see an animated storybook app on the TV or we want to show home video from the Flip HD. I've even used the Playbook to watch NCIS off the networks web site on the TV.

I really wish all companies would just use MicroHDMI and kill off MHL.
thanks mang. Hadn't considered it. While I wouldn't mind the extra $10 for the cable, but if it kills my phone before the movie ends and the quality is subpar, it kinda defeats the purpose

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It seems like every year I wind up say "this could be my next phone"....lol. This looks like it will be a great phone.