5.5.893 (then) vs 5.5.893 (now) Same thing, right?

NickSaul

Reaction score
There's no chance that the 5.5.893 update coming is any different than the 5.5.893 update that leaked awhile a go, right?

I mean, the same numbers, so same identical update, right?

OP
NickSaul

NickSaul

Reaction score
I only had 5.5.893 for a few weeks before I updated to 5.7.893. But for me, I noticed the battery lasts slightly longer, the data (3g/4g) connections are better, and that the whine in the headphones is pretty much gone.

Tcizzle

Reaction score
Good to hear. My data drop issue isn't as bad as some that I have read. (though some tend to blow things out of perportion) Non the less, it is annoying when it happens and I look forward to the update. That being said, it seems to have decreased occurrance a lot lately. I think verizon is a bigger player in the issue. Updated towers may have contributed to the lessening of frequency.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I'm just hoping I can get it. I downloaded the leaked 5.5.893 a month ago, but then went back to .886 and just kept root. So my kernel and radio aren't stock anymore. I'm hoping that won't interfere with me downloading this official OTA. We'll see in about a week, right?? :)

rduckwor

Reaction score
Unknown. Reports say that the file sizes of the leaked and official OTA are the same.

Leads you to believe that the leak = official.

RMD

bassman1547

Reaction score
I downloaded the leaked UPDATE. . the one with "no root needed " that popped up on the forum. It installed fine. I decided to "go back". I did a system reset.
Now, it appears I have 5.5.893. My question is, was I successful in getting back to the original system version ? When I check update system in settings, it says I am up to date. Am I still a candidate for the coming OTA fix? I'm a little confused, obviously.
My OG droid was rooted and customized.. but no root on my Bionic (yet). I was waiting for ICS, but could not restraint myself when I saw the update with no root. I hope I havent goofed. :p

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I downloaded the leaked UPDATE. . the one with "no root needed " that popped up on the forum. It installed fine. I decided to "go back". I did a system reset.
Now, it appears I have 5.5.893. My question is, was I successful in getting back to the original system version ? When I check update system in settings, it says I am up to date. Am I still a candidate for the coming OTA fix? I'm a little confused, obviously.
My OG droid was rooted and customized.. but no root on my Bionic (yet). I was waiting for ICS, but could not restraint myself when I saw the update with no root. I hope I havent goofed. :p

I did the same thing you did; took the same update then tried to roll back to stock. The only thing is, you didn't really roll back, I think. If you did, it would say .886 and not .893. When you reset your phone, did you delete the update file from your SD card? After I reset mine, I still had to delete the actual update file because it was still there and it would still periodically tell me I had an update available (.893). So I deleted the file and have stayed at .886. The unknown right now is the radio/kernel deal. That can't be rolled back to stock. I'm not sure how that will affect this official OTA. I'm hoping that since the OTA is also called 5.5.893 and seems to be the same size as the leaked one I previously downloaded, it'll let me download it when it comes out.

bassman1547

Reaction score
I did the same thing you did; took the same update then tried to roll back to stock. The only thing is, you didn't really roll back, I think. If you did, it would say .886 and not .893. When you reset your phone, did you delete the update file from your SD card? After I reset mine, I still had to delete the actual update file because it was still there and it would still periodically tell me I had an update available (.893). So I deleted the file and have stayed at .886. The unknown right now is the radio/kernel deal. That can't be rolled back to stock. I'm not sure how that will affect this official OTA. I'm hoping that since the OTA is also called 5.5.893 and seems to be the same size as the leaked one I previously downloaded, it'll let me download it when it comes out.

Well, I checked, and the leak is not on the sd card. humm. I think when I reset, it erased everything on the sd card and the
Data. I had to reset everything. Is there something else I can do to get back to stock without erasing everything? yikes!!

Tonik

Reaction score
Is there something else I can do to get back to stock without erasing everything?

As of right now, you cannot go back to stock. You could re-flash and get most of it back to stock, but you cannot get the kernel back to stock. Just hang lose a little, and lets see how this shakes out.

nateohio

Reaction score
As it sits right now, if you at some point upgraded to ANY of the leaks that changed your baseband or kernel versions, you're screwed as of right now.

But, the moto is aware of the issue and hopefully they'll come up with a work around. I'd guess the workaround would come in the form of a FULL update versus a PATCH update

dags5000

Reaction score
Simply reapply the 5.5.893 "leak" from the stock recovery the same way you did the first time, and you will have exactly the same thing as what others who got it over the air. As you know (if you already applied it once), make sure your are back to stock in terms of the software, and the update should take again. Even if you cannot get it OTA from moto right now or the "check for updates" fails to provide anything, applying the leaked update shoudl be EXACTLY the same. The file sizes are the same, the version number is the same = that all equates to it being exactly the same thing.

bassman1547

Reaction score
I am actually am at 5.5.893. Even after reset, so I guess I'm good to go......??...... right? :-!