4g pricing

StevieJ

Reaction score
I would imagine that if you get on while it's "unlimited" then you will be grandfathered in. That's what I am hoping for at least.

slinky

Reaction score
I would imagine that if you get on while it's "unlimited" then you will be grandfathered in. That's what I am hoping for at least.
Doubtful. I'm guessing that, at best, it will be for the life of the contract.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Correct, that's how we're grandfathered in now with 3g.

I love my Droid X but I'm not paying $80 a month for 10GB on 4G. I may need to get an LTE phone asap so I can at least stay with the $29 a month unlimited for 2 years.

slinky

Reaction score
Correct, that's how we're grandfathered in now with 3g.

I love my Droid X but I'm not paying $80 a month for 10GB on 4G. I may need to get an LTE phone asap so I can at least stay with the $29 a month unlimited for 2 years.

Actually I hadn't been on contract for quite a while. The 3G pricing is fairly steady because of the amount of data max you can do on that phone. Very few exceed the expected 5GB. With a 4G phone the danger of exceeding that number is much higher, which is why I think 3G will stay (or there will be a riot) and 4G will tier.

The more I think about it, the more I would seem to only care about 3G. If I can get a 2 year and lock in 4G pricing with the option of using 3G when I'm done, I'll consider it. But there are dangers. Verizon would like to lock everyone into these deals to upgrade to tiered pricing if they can. While customer service is good, they are very, very savvy into finding ways to extract additional revenues, e.g. CityID purchase built into Android (I thought this was a joke), VZ Navigator that was nailed in for a long time, etc. Must read the fine print.

Kboss375

Reaction score
I talked to a Verizon rep this weekend, I asked him what the price will be and he told there is is no upgrade to 4g. If you have unlimited 3g you automatically have unlimited 4g. Hopefully there is some truth to that.

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
I talked to a Verizon rep this weekend, I asked him what the price will be and he told there is is no upgrade to 4g. If you have unlimited 3g you automatically have unlimited 4g. Hopefully there is some truth to that.

That's been the word everyone is hearing the past couple months. At least initially until 4G rolls out more.

sidsixseven

Reaction score
According to ZD-Net, the CFO of Verizon just mentioned today during a conference that they are planning Tiered pricing for 4G:

Fran Shammo, Verizon’s chief financial officer
“As we progress down the LTE range and bring more devices to the table—we will be launching the HTC Thunderbolt very shortly here—that will give you a flavor of what our tiered pricing structure will look like going forward.”

Ugh. Great. Get ready to say bye-bye to Unlimited data plans and to spend more $$ for 4G. Seriously thinking about not switching to Verizon as planned.

n0yxl

Reaction score
According to ZD-Net, the CFO of Verizon just mentioned today during a conference that they are planning Tiered pricing for 4G:

“As we progress down the LTE range and bring more devices to the table—we will be launching the HTC Thunderbolt very shortly here—that will give you a flavor of what our tiered pricing structure will look like going forward.”

Ugh. Great. Get ready to say bye-bye to Unlimited data plans and to spend more $$ for 4G. Seriously thinking about not switching to Verizon as planned.

This is just a blog -someones "vision". I'm not buying into his conclusions. VZW's CFO didn't state anywhere that the LTE smartphone unlimited plan would be priced any differently than it is now. Perhaps will see lower tiered plans in the $15-20-25 range that doesn't carry the "unlimited" label.

The newer LTE infrastructure is way more efficient and robust than their antique CDMA system is, and I just don't see any benefit on Verizon's behalf; to rise the price points on more efficient technology.

The Sprint and Clearwire/WiMax fiasco, and the added $10 "4G data" charge -is a very different story. Sprint doesn't wholly own that system, and they are just handing the bill to the end user (you).

It'll be interesting to see the fate that lie before Clearwire(Clear), once Verizon's LTE is lit up in more metro areas. They are trying desperately to keep afloat and out of bankruptcy as it is right now. I actually hope that they can survive, as competition is a good thing for consumers.

StinkyPete

Reaction score

This is just a blog -someones "vision". I'm not buying into his conclusions. VZW's CFO didn't state anywhere that the LTE smartphone unlimited plan would be priced any differently than it is now. Perhaps will see lower tiered plans in the $15-20-25 range that doesn't carry the "unlimited" label.

Sorry... but there were quotes from the CFO...

• “As we progress down the LTE range and bring more devices to the table—we will be launching the HTC Thunderbolt very shortly here—that will give you a flavor of what our tiered pricing structure will look like going forward.
  • “LTE also gives us the capability to price very differently than we priced before. Not just on consumption, but also possibly on speed differentiation. So we are still working through those models. Don’t know if we will do something there yet, but wireless is still working through those and that will come out with the HTC launch.
Don't know any other way to interpret his quotes - except to say that:
(1) HTC TB coming soon.
(2) New pricing on data with the TB.
(3) New pricing will be tiered.

zak406

Reaction score
Imo that makes no sense, how can you charge for something that is not nationwide yet? With that logic my phone would work were I live in Pa, but when I travel to New York it wont work on 4g. Thats bull****, and im sure those cheap unicorns at verizon will find away to charge for this but its not even nationwide! If they decide to charge more not only will I NOT BUY THIS PHONE I WILL ALSO CONSIDER CHANGING PROVIDERS.... SO verizon please read the capitalized text. Its sad to say my family has been with verizon for over 8 years, but im sick of getting bent over and boned! Its getting to the point you have to be a millionare to afford a cell phone plan..

Last edited by a moderator:

Raptor007

Reaction score
So it sounds like the $29.99 for 4G unlimited may not be true anymore, you will want to lock in now instead of summer with later releases. More importantly Verizon continues to show they are masters of being clueless to customer needs and expectations.

Scratch that, as I reread the article Shammo really has incoherent thoughts and lack of flow in his delivery of the message. So as smartphones get cheaper we can bend over our customers on data plans. Big Red is back in business, and oh just watch those iphone freaks get royally pissed off when their special $30 unlimited goes bye bye.

Now the one question remains is, with so little LTE rolled out so far, they will need a big frickin set of brass balls to justify the pricing they may try to launch especially if the phones are sold in non 4G markets, like say most of upstate NY where only one city is covered, yeah, one.

Last edited:

n0yxl

Reaction score

• “As we progress down the LTE range and bring more devices to the table—we will be launching the HTC Thunderbolt very shortly here—that will give you a flavor of what our tiered pricing structure will look like going forward.
  • “LTE also gives us the capability to price very differently than we priced before. Not just on consumption, but also possibly on speed differentiation. So we are still working through those models. Don’t know if we will do something there yet, but wireless is still working through those and that will come out with the HTC launch.
(1) HTC TB coming soon.

Re-read my words in bold type. I read his quotes already.

StinkyPete

Reaction score

(1) HTC TB coming soon.

Re-read my words in bold type. I read his quotes already.

OK... I guess we agree to disagree on the meaning of his statements...

gymangel812

Reaction score
Imo that makes no sense, how can you charge for something that is not nationwide yet? With that logic my phone would work were I live in Pa, but when I travel to New York it wont work on 4g. Thats bull****, and im sure those cheap bastards at verizon will find away to charge for this but its not even nationwide! If they decide to charge more not only will I NOT BUY THIS PHONE I WILL ALSO CONSIDER CHANGING PROVIDERS.... SO verizon please read the capitalized text. Its sad to say my family has been with verizon for over 8 years, but im sick of getting bent over and boned! Its getting to the point you have to be a millionare to afford a cell phone plan..
i agree completely. i too am not going to buy the phone if it's more and am considering changing providers...

zak406

Reaction score
Imo that makes no sense, how can you charge for something that is not nationwide yet? With that logic my phone would work were I live in Pa, but when I travel to New York it wont work on 4g. Thats bull****, and im sure those cheap bastards at verizon will find away to charge for this but its not even nationwide! If they decide to charge more not only will I NOT BUY THIS PHONE I WILL ALSO CONSIDER CHANGING PROVIDERS.... SO verizon please read the capitalized text. Its sad to say my family has been with verizon for over 8 years, but im sick of getting bent over and boned! Its getting to the point you have to be a millionare to afford a cell phone plan..
i agree completely. i too am not going to buy the phone if it's more and am considering changing providers...

It would be one thing if 4g was nationwide and I could use it from coast to coast, in every nook and cranny of america. However that is not the case, you will be paying more for a service that will only cover 70% of the nation by the end of this year.... If 4 g was nation wide I would have no problem paying for it, I do however have a problem with paying for something that is not complete.. If I upgraded tomorow 4g would not be nationwide by the time I was due for another upgrade. Somebody explain that to me PLEASE? What is it going to take to make verizon realize not all of us are stuipd, seriously and I will be the first to admit it I am dumb but im not stupid! I work to hard for my money to simply throw it away on a half assed finished product!