Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not decided waiting on prices and tiers

• not decided waiting to see all providers tiers/plans first

• Total voters

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's opinions of the proposed new pricing tiers is?

I heard that it affects 3g only, that is only affects 4g and that it affects both. I really like verizon but may be seriously considering sprint if this plays out.

Sentrix

Reaction score
One of the most confusing polls ever.
But seriously, it's only 4G data usage that will be tiered.

StinkyPete

Reaction score
Today's quotes were from a CFO talking to investors/investment firms. CFOs have to be VERY careful about promising revenue that will not be there in the future - things like Future P/E (price/earnings ratio) are key in setting a target price for a stock.

I don't see how there is any other way to interpret the CFO's comments other than them putting a tier on data usage with LTE/4G and that it will be introduced initially, in some fashion, with the Thunderbolt.

Now it could be some wacky combination thing like: $29.99 unlim on 3G and $5 per GB on LTE/4G. Sort of like an old roaming deal.

The could also cap the speed or offer speed tiers like Verizon's FiOS home internet product does.

zak406

Reaction score
Imo that makes no sense, how can you charge for something that is not nationwide yet? With that logic my phone would work were I live in Pa, but when I travel to New York it wont work on 4g. Thats bull****, and im sure those cheap bastards at verizon will find away to charge for this but its not even nationwide! If they decide to charge more not only will I NOT BUY THIS PHONE I WILL ALSO CONSIDER CHANGING PROVIDERS.... SO verizon please read the capitalized text. Its sad to say my family has been with verizon for over 8 years, but im sick of getting bent over and boned! Its getting to the point you have to be a millionare to afford a cell phone plan..

Morlince

Reaction score
Honestly, i agree with whomever said in the release thread that data plans should be getting cheaper not more expensive. It's really getting ridiculous, for example my xoom is $60 something a month for 5 gig... wtf? I'm dropping the service and just keeping it wifi. I cant pay for both my wife and I's phones; $90 each before discounts; and my xoom data let alone if they up the data with tiered pricing. Stupid on their part, unless they are trying to thin up their data hungry herd.

/\\/\\orlince

Horst3

Reaction score
I'm with you Zak. They might have an argument if the had 4g in at least half the country, but so far it is only "major" cities. I just wanted the phone so that I can do video chats with my family while I travel, and to take care of some work issues while I am out of the office. I can do all that with WiFi so why pay for something that doesn't exist in most places when there is another "free" way to do the same thing?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bucket O'anything reaks of the 90s. This is a step backward.

zak406

Reaction score
I'm with you Zak. They might have an argument if the had 4g in at least half the country, but so far it is only "major" cities. I just wanted the phone so that I can do video chats with my family while I travel, and to take care of some work issues while I am out of the office. I can do all that with WiFi so why pay for something that doesn't exist in most places when there is another "free" way to do the same thing?

It would be one thing if 4g was nationwide and I could use it from coast to coast, in every nook and cranny of america. However that is not the case, you will be paying more for a service that will only cover 70% of the nation by the end of this year.... If 4 g was nation wide I would have no problem paying for it, I do however have a problem with paying for something that is not complete.. If I upgraded tomorow 4g would not be nationwide by the time I was due for another upgrade. Somebody explain that to me PLEASE? What is it going to take to make verizon realize not all of us are stuipd, seriously and I will be the first to admit it I am dumb but im not stupid! I work to hard for my money to simply throw it away on a half assed finished product!

Horst3

Reaction score
If they want to charge more for data, then they should make it for the hotspot feature. if you have 8 devices running at the same time would chew up a lot more usage than a single phone would.

zak406

Reaction score
If they want to charge more for data, then they should make it for the hotspot feature. if you have 8 devices running at the same time would chew up a lot more usage than a single phone would.

I agree but it boils down to this fact, at the end of this year it will only cover 70% of the nation. I am 20 and run a small landscaping business in the summer, do you think my customers would pay me full price to only cut 70% of there yard? SO why should I pay verizon more for something that is less established than 3g, 30% less established!

Morlince

Reaction score

I agree but it boils down to this fact, at the end of this year it will only cover 70% of the nation. I am 20 and run a small landscaping business in the summer, do you think my customers would pay me full price to only cut 70% of there yard? SO why should I pay verizon more for something that is less established than 3g, 30% less established!

+1 Good point

StinkyPete

Reaction score

It would be one thing if 4g was nationwide and I could use it from coast to coast, in every nook and cranny of america. However that is not the case, you will be paying more for a service that will only cover 70% of the nation by the end of this year.... If 4 g was nation wide I would have no problem paying for it, I do however have a problem with paying for something that is not complete.. If I upgraded tomorow 4g would not be nationwide by the time I was due for another upgrade. Somebody explain that to me PLEASE? What is it going to take to make verizon realize not all of us are stuipd, seriously and I will be the first to admit it I am dumb but im not stupid! I work to hard for my money to simply throw it away on a half assed finished product!

3G doesn't cover the country, yet we all pay for it.

Since this is a "mobile" phone, it really doesn't matter where you live, it is where you use it (I admit this could be mostly at home).

It comes down to supply and demand - there is a demand for the TB and people are willing to pay for it (at whatever price Verizon charges). If that doesn't play out, they will lower the price. When the Prius first came out, people were paying over MSRP for it. You can get it today for much less and there are tons of them on the lot. Welcome to Capitalism.

StinkyPete

Reaction score

If you buy a smart phone today from Verizon, you are required to buy a $29.99 data plan - regardless of whether or not you live in a 3G covered area or plan to use the phone in a 3G covered area.

Verizon has to make money to pay for the expansion of the 4G coverage. Everyone is paying for that - even if they never plan to use 4G. Just like when you buy a new lawn mower - you pass that cost on to your clients with increased per cut costs - even if the lawn you are mowing is being mowed with an older mower. You don't charge different prices based on mowing someone's lawn with a new mower or an older mower.

georgek

Reaction score
They're probably trying to figure out whats the most they can charge for data without losing tons of customers. Just like everything else, we end up paying more for less.