4g and 3g reception

fic1

Reaction score
I notice since the update my 4g and my 3g reception is weaker than before ics. I have the max with ics my son has the regular razr without the update we could be next to each other and he will have better signal than me, I have checked this in multiple places. Thanks

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually fic4, your reception may not actually be worse. It is the way ICS has changed how the meter reports reception. ICS gave a greater range on the meter. What used to show up as 4 or 5 bars only show as, maybe 2 or 3 bars (sorry, I am not sure what the exact bar to reception ratio is, just that it is different). To know what kind of reception your 3g/4g is really getting, go to settings---> under data usage, go to "more..." ---> Mobile networks ---> Network type & strength. The lower the number, the stronger the signal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been in contact with VZW about this very issue and they were surprisingly quick to offer a replacement phone (even a different make/model) I have a Maxx.
My reception before ICS averaged 75db. After ICS I average 95db and much of the time am in the 105-109 range. Bars were never my gauge, the reception has gone down and the Tech at VZW said it is a "known issue".
Perhaps an update will come soon that will address it but as the Tech said, "No telling IF or When"