45,000 Verizon Employees go on strike

nikecar

Reaction score
Oh my goodness! $100/mo for healthcare!

If only some of us could pay so little.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
is that family or individual?

HEre we pay $50 for an individual and $180 for a family per month for the HMOs.

82DMC12

Reaction score
Stupid unions. Hopefully they learn a lesson from the idiot union that worked at American Crystal Sugar just a few miles from me. 1300 union employees were negotiating a new 5-yr contract with ACS. Times are tough and ACS asked for basically two things:

1. The right to hire contract workers when the union doesn't have the skills, equipment, or manpower to get a project done.

2. Ask the union to join the group health insurance program that the management has. It would have cost a little more per month than the golden union plan and had a higher deductible.

ACS was even offering a 17% raise phased in over the next 5 years.

What does the union do? Refuse the contract. ACS offers a FINAL OFFER contract - the union takes their 'plight' to the media and holds demonstations around town. They refuse the offer (97% voted no) and the next day ACS starts trucking in replacement workers from Minneapolis.

Dumbasses. They had a GREAT job (ACS said an average of $70,000 including bennies for the union workers) to do FACTORY WORK. But no, they got too greedy, ACS called their bluff, and now temp workers are learning the union's job while they sit outside, picket, and play guitar.

It made me EXTREMELY happy to see these guys get a beat-down, and maybe I can employ one of them to mow my lawn this fall. The best part is in the newspapers and talk radio shows, basically everyone is calling the union out for being so stupid. So I'm not just being a dick, these guys had it GREAT and still wanted MORE!

Moral of the story is.... take a look at what you've got, and if it's half decent, don't make a federal case out of a tiny concession here or there!!!

Verizon union - WAKE UP!!!! Or you will end up just like the ACS morons!!

Harrybub

Reaction score

Self employed here. $1800/mo (that's not a typo) for my wife and I.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
113 a month, single here.

health insurance inst that bad and hell i only make 1700 a month. shucks because of a speeding ticket my car insurance costs me more a month than my HMO. i WISH i could take these guys' unionized jobs and pay rates. I know a hundred other people who'd say the same.

nikecar

Reaction score

Self employed here. $1800/mo (that's not a typo) for my wife and I.

I've known self employed who pay dearly. I think that is excessive though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums