4.5.622 update - possibly very evil

bmcswee

Reaction score
Verizon has rolled out an update (version 4.5.622) which apparently only affects the r2d2 version of this phone. I have the r2 and i declined the update.

The very disturbing thing is, i have read early reports that say this update fixes a lot of the root vulnerabilities, so possibly no more root, but more disturbing, i read that this update also updates the bootloader, such that if you try to SBF back to an earlier version, it will hard brick the phone.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Has anyone achieved root on this version?

casper55117

Reaction score
Verizon has rolled out an update (version 4.5.622) which apparently only affects the r2d2 version of this phone. I have the r2 and i declined the update.

The very disturbing thing is, i have read early reports that say this update fixes a lot of the root vulnerabilities, so possibly no more root, but more disturbing, i read that this update also updates the bootloader, such that if you try to SBF back to an earlier version, it will hard brick the phone.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Has anyone achieved root on this version?
they did the same thing to the dx with the .621 update

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I can't confirm it but since they have done it with the newest update on several other Moto devices (DX, D2G) I would say it is a pretty safe bet. The only article I found on the update (on DroidLife) did not say aside from some of the comments below the article.

OP
B

bmcswee

Reaction score
Ok, so from all evidence, it seems like this update is pure evil.

Is there any way to stop the phone from keep tying to update? It keeps giving me a dialog box where it will auto-download unless i press cancel within 20 seconds. I'm afraid one of these times i wont catch it in time and i'll be stuck with this atrocious upgrade.

EDIT: Here is how to block this (and all) OTA updates:
1) You will need either AnTek App Manager (free) or Titanium Backup (PRO edition - free edition won't work for this). Both will require root.
2) Open whichever app you chose in part 1.
3) Select "Updater", aka "com.motorola.blur.updater". Freeze it.
4) Select "Upgrader", aka "com.motorola.Upgrader". Freeze it.
5) Your phone is now completely blocked from attempting to OTA update. It will not bug you with a periodic popup screen. Even if you go into settings and try to check for updates manually, nothing will happen.

To reverse this process:
1) Just unfreeze the 2 apps you froze and everything will return to 100% normal.

Last edited:

download11

Reaction score
grrrrrr. bricked.

trying to start over to run cm9.

did sbf to 2.3.20 on my a955, did updates, tried to root.
failed rooting.
tried to sbf back to 2.3.20.

error

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd

dead.

placed aside till a fix i guess.

thank you!!

BEWARE the 4.5.621 update

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is exactly like the 2.2.1 update. Once you accepted the 2.2.1 update, you weren't able to downgrade/SBF back to 2.2. In other words, unless someone comes out with an SBF with the update included, and there is a known root for it, D2 users are practically out of luck. Luckily, I used "Root Keeper" before upgrading, but even so, I probably won't be able to successfully "Restore Default" via Android Recovery.

silver6054

Reaction score
This is exactly like the 2.2.1 update. Once you accepted the 2.2.1 update, you weren't able to downgrade/SBF back to 2.2. In other words, unless someone comes out with an SBF with the update included, and there is a known root for it, D2 users are practically out of luck. Luckily, I used "Root Keeper" before upgrading, but even so, I probably won't be able to successfully "Restore Default" via Android Recovery.

So that was the status for the Droid 2 Global until today as well. Now a method has been found for both allowing SBF back to a previous version, then rooting, rootkeeper etc, and for fixing bricked phones for those who have SBFd. See [How-to]unbricking downgraded 629 & root normal function OTA 629 - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki

Someone just needs to do this for the Droid 2 now! I confirm that it works to get rooted, and others have had their bricked phones revived.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So that was the status for the Droid 2 Global until today as well. Now a method has been found for both allowing SBF back to a previous version, then rooting, rootkeeper etc, and for fixing bricked phones for those who have SBFd. See [How-to]unbricking downgraded 629 & root normal function OTA 629 - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki

Someone just needs to do this for the Droid 2 now! I confirm that it works to get rooted, and others have had their bricked phones revived.

Well, that's the problem. No one has come up with a fix for the D2, and I doubt anyone is in any hurry for it either.

silver6054

Reaction score
Well again, this came out of blue yesterday for the D2G. The method sounds fairly general, but of course someone has to do it!

Khiraji

Reaction score
DO NOT attempt to SBF once this update has been applied - will brick your phone. I foolishly tried that on Monday, and have been without a phone ever since.

There is an app on the market called RootKeeper which, if downloaded and installed before the update is applied, can apparently preserve root. Definitely look into it.

silver6054

Reaction score
DO NOT attempt to SBF once this update has been applied - will brick your phone. I foolishly tried that on Monday, and have been without a phone ever since.

There is an app on the market called RootKeeper which, if downloaded and installed before the update is applied, can apparently preserve root. Definitely look into it.
I suggest that D2 users contact the OP of that thread, [How-to]unbricking downgraded 629 & root normal function OTA 629 - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki
to see if he has plans to do the same for the D2. This looks like a general trick