3G Mobile Hotspot?

biknut1

Reaction score
WiFi Hotspot

Is it wifi only, or can it be used through usb as well? And if so, how?

Not sure about using it USB, but I don't think so. If you want to tether through USB there are a few apps in the Market- Easy Tether, Barnacle, PDA Net- maybe others.

If you are rooted and use the WiFi Hotspot, I want to let you in on something. I tried that one night after I rooted. The next day I went to Verizon's website to view my next bill. First thing I saw was a web page that informed me of their pricing policy on using the hotspot. I took that to mean that they can tell exactly when you use it, and may charge for it. I'll let you know after next month's bill.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If you are rooted and use the WiFi Hotspot, I want to let you in on something. I tried that one night after I rooted. The next day I went to Verizon's website to view my next bill. First thing I saw was a web page that informed me of their pricing policy on using the hotspot. I took that to mean that they can tell exactly when you use it, and may charge for it. I'll let you know after next month's bill.

No, That means you used the Stock App for the Hotspot...

Using the one from TBH will not incur charges.

biknut1

Reaction score
No, That means you used the Stock App for the Hotspot...

Using the one from TBH will not incur charges.
[/quote]

Thanks BackinBlack- I didn't realize there was another one. I will go over to TBH and check it out right away!

OP
toysturnaseraphim
Reaction score
I've been using EZ Tether for a couple months now, but within the last few weeks my transfer rate has dropped to B/s, (i blame you, Iphone) So I thought maybe I'd try the 3G Hotspot (NV/SEEM, worked perfect-just not on Vista) to see if it'd be any better, but it's even worse, and I think it's the wifi. I was wondering if the hotspot would work through usb.

biknut1

Reaction score
I've been using EZ Tether for a couple months now, but within the last few weeks my transfer rate has dropped to B/s, (i blame you, Iphone) So I thought maybe I'd try the 3G Hotspot (NV/SEEM, worked perfect-just not on Vista) to see if it'd be any better, but it's even worse, and I think it's the wifi. I was wondering if the hotspot would work through usb.

My wife has a D2G through her work. They paid for her to put PDA Net on it to be able to tether. She also paid for Easy Tether. She likes ET better (drops less) and way cheaper. Her laptop is an XP machine.

On my D2G I have Easy Tether (paid for) along with Wireless Tether and Barnacle (must be rooted for both). I mostly use WT the most because it's more familiar to me. My laptop is a Vista machine. My only problem is that sometimes when I sit idle for awhile (not clicking on pages continuously) my speed drops down to nothing. Not sure why that is, but a reboot usually cures it. Or I get tired of it and just quit altogether.

Good luck!

OP
toysturnaseraphim
Reaction score
In system file, build.prop, I changed ro modem_available to 1, now have option to use phone as modem in notification bar when usb'd, created a dial up connection in windows, but still can't get 3G hotspot through usb, but now I'm getting 100-250KB/s with Easy Tether...wtf?