3G intermittence while tethered

HIcycles

Reaction score
I'm not sure if any of you have had this problem, but I'm finding that whether I'm tethered wired or wireless, my 3G connection starts to go on and off after I've dl'd about 80MB of data. I'm doing casual websurfing, nothing intense (at least, I don't think)

Anyone else having this issue? I've tried this on Cyanogenmod 5.0.7.1, 5.0.7, and BB v1 and BB v1.1. I think for all of these, I've been using bekit's kernal, 0.8.4, 1.1ghz. I might have tried it on stock cyanogenmod kernal, as well.

I hope it's not the droid... how do you explain that to VZW? "oh yeah, while I violate the TOS, I notice my 3G connection goes intermittent." right.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: it doesn't do this if I'm not tethered; only while tethered. Weird.

Last edited:
OP
H

HIcycles

Reaction score
i have the same problem wired and wireless tethered :(

I think I got it figured out. It seems to be a heat issue. When it runs at about 34 C, it starts going on the fritz.

schoust

Reaction score
Hmm I wonder if this is a similer issue when steaming audio?? I have a strong signel yet my steam is continuously interupted??

andychops

Reaction score
I was having the same problem with the intermittent 3G connectivity during wireless tethers. I thought it might have been Verizon throttling the data. Nope. I found in another forum where it looks like there's a bug in Wireless Tether 2.0.2. Although someone in that forum also suggested that keeping the temperature down helped the problem, so maybe the 2.0.2 bug is related to that. Who knows.

Anyway, the solution seems to be to uninstall 2.0.2 and try something else. I downloaded Barnacle Wifi Tether and it seems to work fine. I also went to the Wireless Tether open source site (android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code) and installed the latest build (2.0.5 RC1 at time of writing), and preliminary testing shows no issues with 3G dropout. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

andychops

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can even get it from the market. Search wireless tether and the one with the green logo of signal bars is the one.

The market only has the latest stable release, which is currently 2.0.2. For beta/RC builds you need to go straight to the source.

Last edited:

kinfolk248

Reaction score
yea ive had those 3g drops when trying to use wireless tether for root users from the market too. tethering does build heat so i thought that may be part of the problem but idk. Now whenever i need a constant stream i use pdanet usb tether, it works fine even popups my sms for me lol. but i want a solution to wireless tether as well...

andychops

Reaction score
Ok so I've been using Wireless Tether 2.0.5 RC1 and Barnacle Wifi Tether for the past week. WT 2.0.5 RC1 is still having occasional 3G dropouts, although not as often as 2.0.2. So far I've not seen it happen once with Barnacle. I'm going back to WT 2.0.1 and trying that too (Apparently 2.0.2 is where the bug was introduced that's causing the 3G dropputs).