3G/4G Tethering

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
***Could a Mod please change the thread title to "3G/4G Tethering" please? The system wouldn't let me.***

With the relatively inexpensive tethering apps available in the Market why do so many people root just for tethering privileges?

I have no need or desire to root my phone and was thinking of purchasing one of these apps so I can utilize my 3G/4G connection on my MacBook when on the road. Am I missing something or is this possible with a $10 app from the Market? I'm kinda new to Android (former BB user) and a little clueless.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Last edited:

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Aloha
updated ur title of the thread. rooting isnt for everyone & u certainly dont have too. ppl do it for free web access (not a good thing IMO) but ppl cant afford an extra $25+ but why get a smart phone right :blink:...lol. anyway to each is his/her own freedom. some want to customize their device, the option to chg the way their device looks. its all personal preference. its really up to the individual...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I believe it is possible with one of those apps from the market, though I do recall that they were taken off the market? Not completely sure though.

Regardless if you pay for the app or not, I do believe it's still in violation of your contract. Many people root to gain tether, because they want to tether for those rare times when need it, but they can't justify spending another $30 for the plan. I guess what I'm trying to get across is if you're tethering without the plan, Verizon has the right to terminate your contract as it is a breach.

xxpigxx

Reaction score
But ppl cant afford an extra $25+ but why get a smart phone right :blink:...lol. ...

I have a tight budget and I can't/won't do the extra money per month. I have everything I need budgeted out, including savings, and the tether plan eats into that … never mind the fact that I have tethered exactly three times in two years.

It was pretty rude of you to say what you did. Just because we own a smartphone does not mean we are rolling in Benjamins.

Last edited:

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
I have a tight budget and I can't/won't do the extra money per month. I have everything I need budgeted out, including savings, and the tether plan eats into that … never mind the fact that I have tethered exactly three times in two years.

It was pretty rude of you to say what you did. Just because we own a smartphone does not mean we are rolling in Benjamins.
If cash is tight, why do you have a smartphone in the first place?

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
I believe it is possible with one of those apps from the market, though I do recall that they were taken off the market? Not completely sure though.

Regardless if you pay for the app or not, I do believe it's still in violation of your contract. Many people root to gain tether, because they want to tether for those rare times when need it, but they can't justify spending another $30 for the plan. I guess what I'm trying to get across is if you're tethering without the plan, Verizon has the right to terminate your contract as it is a breach.

+1. All carrier contracts consider tethering on the sly to be a breach. Most of the tethering apps are pretty easy to catch the un-authorized tethering activity. It all comes down to how blatant the tethering activity becomes. 2-3 times a year for 100 Mb in total isn't going to get anyone terminated. 5 Gb every month is guaranteed to get attention.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am not speaking for pig, but here's my input.

Some jobs almost require a smartphone and the way the whole world is being connected now and almost every business is moving towards the digital age, a smartphone is almost a necessity now. Cell phone companies realize some people are on a budget and require some help, so I know there are some programs to help aid in the ownership of a smartphone, maybe some people do this option (not saying pig is or isn't).

I'm sure these people on a budget with smartphones have cut back on many other expenses, but they find a smartphone necessary. Whether that is a smart move is their choice, I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money.

IN AWE

Reaction score

Some people wouldn't have their jobs or make the little amount of money they do without a smartphone.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Some people wouldn't have their jobs or make the little amount of money they do without a smartphone.
Easy there friend. Talking to others with that tone and cussing will get you ban.

Last edited:

IN AWE

Reaction score
Easy there friend. Talking to others with that tone and cussing will get you ban.

Sorry, I didn't think of it as cussing and I edited the post. It does live on in your quote though.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sorry, I didn't think of it as cussing and I edited the post. It does live on in your quote though.
Appreciate you changing it, I've changed it as well.

We can have discussions, but this is a family environment so let's keep the language appropriate.:)

Last edited:

jseah

Reaction score
From what I understand, you can use apps like EZ Tether or PDA Net without having to root, but that requires tethering via a USB cord. For tethering through enabling WiFi hotspot on your phone without a tethering plan, you would need to root. Without rooting, enabling the WiFi hotspot on your phone would be disabled and require adding a tethering plan before it would work.

FWIW, the carriers are going after people who tether without paying for a tethering plan. AT&T is especially agressive at it. They started with iPhone users, but there are more and more reports of them going after Android users as well. Basically, if they catch you tethering, they send you a warning to stop or they will automatically add a tethering plan to your account. The problem is if you are grandfathered into an unlimited data plan and they switch you, they will switch you to the $45 4GB tiered tethering plan, so basically you lose unlimited data.