2nd Generation Xoom

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by fish1552, May 10, 2011.

1. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Have to ask because the wife was talking to her father and he told her the other day that his friend was working with a beta of the 2nd Gen Xoom. I read the Android sites almost daily and so far, I have yet to even *hear* about a possible second gen model, let alone a release timeframe.

Although after playing with one today, I must say I think they dropped the ball with the small pin type charger. The store model @ BestBuy charger tip was bent about 45 degrees and I hope that would be one of the possible changes to any future models.

Anyone else hear about anything yet? Even any rumors?
  2. Hummdis

Hummdis New Member

Given the fact that the Xoom has only recently come out and even companies like Sprint are just barely getting the Wifi version of the Xoom, I'd have to say that your wife's father is either playing one hell of a prank, is straight up lieing, or the father's friend is full of.

We're talking that the Xoom was released on February 24th and this "friend" already has a Rev. 2. I don't think so. Not even Apple moved that quickly. The iPad was released on April 3, 2010 and the 3G version was available on April 30, 2010. The iPad 2 didn't get announced until March 6, 2011 and released on March 11, 2011 (exactly one month ago today).

Additionally, no for-profit company will make a tablet (think of the R&D costs here) and release said tablet, only to start a second revision before the first has a chance to prove itself on the market. The R&D costs and success of the first need to prove themselves and hint at additional profitability with a second revision.

As it stands right now, there are limited apps that are native to Honeycomb. Yes, the list is rising, but the support is still not fully there yet. Additionally, there is functionality from a hardware perspective that the Xoom has and the software does not yet support (i.e. the SD card).

So, again, you're talking about the very early stages of a device, and I wouldn't expect to start hearing about a 2nd generation for at least a year to a year and a half. Even if they push the newer model out early, you're still looking at the Christmas 2011 time frame.

As for your 'small pin type charger' consideration, remember that the people playing with the Xoom in-store don't care too much about the thing since it's not theirs and they haven't dropped the dough for it yet. I will say that the dock has two contact points, not a pin, for charging.

The biggest blunder that Motorola has done thus far is the lack of a USB-out port from any of the currently available docks. So you can't connect the USB cable to a system while on the dock unless you perform a mod to the dock. I'm sure one will come soon though...there's already been a ton of uproar about that part.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
Search tags for this page

xoom 2nd generation