Chromecast (2nd gen) is Coming on September 29th with Several New Features [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chromecast-dongle.jpg

Chromecast fans might be intrigued by the latest rumor. Supposedly, on September 29th (the same day as the Nexus 5X and Huawei Nexus 6 announcement), Google will be revealing a newly upgraded Chromecast device. According to the report, the second generation Chromecast will include several handy new features, including improved WiFi, Spotify support, and a feature called "Fast Play."

It looks like the handiest little HDMI multi-media dongle is about to get even better!

Source: 9To5Google [1], [2]

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will not hesitate to buy it. I love my Chromecast. Hopefully they will give it a remote, and the ability to run apps locally without the need of your phone or another device.

Oops, guess that would be the Nexus player.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
I will not hesitate to buy it. I love my Chromecast. Hopefully they will give it a remote, and the ability to run apps locally without the need of your phone or another device.

Oops, guess that would be the Nexus player.

quoting to catch your attention, how was the size change for you going from the 2013 x to the nexus 6? i'm looking at going from my 2013 x to teh 2015 x once i get home soon.

also. i too wonder what else they would include. i think we need the next standard of hdmi to come out before those little dongles can be powered just by being plugged in (which i hate how they always look like they dont need the cord...)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Between the Chromecast and my soon to be retired laptop-turned-mediacenter pc....going to have to upgrade my A/V receiver to get HDMI support (yeah, I could buy an adapter but then you're talking like already 30% of the cost for a new receiver).

And then everything can be controlled easily with a tablet over wifi (except, oddly enough, maybe my TV on/off without an IR blaster on the tablet).

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
quoting to catch your attention, how was the size change for you going from the 2013 x to the nexus 6? i'm looking at going from my 2013 x to teh 2015 x once i get home soon.

I find that I do not need a tablet anymore. Compared to the tiny, but beautiful Moto X, sure I could see things just fine, and pocketability was perfect, but with the Nexus 6, I SEE EVERYTHING. I wanted something I could watch video's on during my long train rides home, and I didn't want to bring a tablet to do so. Plus the Nexus is small enough, that I can somewhat hide objectionable material that may be included in whatever Game of Thrones episode I may be watching at the time. ;)

Putting the beast in my pocket is not an issue. I'm 6'2" so it's fine. I've learned to operate the device with one hand. Using a Spigen slim case, the Moto "M" is deeper, allowing my finger to hold the phone steady. At times I may need to stretch my hand to get where I want it to go. If I don't want to be bothered trying to balance the thing, two handed operation is definitely the way to go; just saying one handed use is not impossible if you have large hands.

However, not size related, if you are use to Active/Dynamic Display, or any of those cool Moto tricks like flick to take a picture, you will be disappointed, as they simply are not available. Yes, there are alternatives available, but out of all the alternatives I've tried, none works as fluidly as the Moto apps did.

This was the phone I wanted before knowing that it was what I wanted. I remember looking at people with those huge Notes thinking, that's too big.

It's not, considering the Nexus 6 is...bigger.

also. i too wonder what else they would include. i think we need the next standard of hdmi to come out before those little dongles can be powered just by being plugged in (which i hate how they always look like they dont need the cord...)

Yeah, they don't show you that. They show you this clean hdmi dongle that fits perfectly behind your tv. Except you get it and realize you have to run this long ugly power cable to your nearest outlet. Might as well just get a set top box for more power/better overall experience if you have to plug it in anyway. I dunno.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
This is great, I absolutely love my chromecast and use it all the time, but it's definitely buggy and has WiFi issues. I'm a little surprised it took this long...

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've been looking at getting one of these since we cut off direct TV and time warner ..but I've heard a lot of people say they're buggy or just not really worth it.. Idk..I don't watch a lot of TV anyways..but I bet my family could get some use out of one.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting one of these since we cut off direct TV and time warner ..but I've heard a lot of people say they're buggy or just not really worth it.. Idk..I don't watch a lot of TV anyways..but I bet my family could get some use out of one.
No issues with my Chromecast and I had it for awhile.

But if you cutting off the cable I suggest the roku 3, the best overall set top box for those not wanting to learn kodi.

If you can use kodi then you may gravitate to the Nexus player.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
No issues with my Chromecast and I had it for awhile.

I experience a lot of weird bugs where the volume control doesn't work right away, or Netflix and Play Music disconnect my Chromecast session and I have to completely close the app to reconnect, or for some reason my previous volume on Youtube always affects Netflix's volume (If I turn Youtube down to the lowest volume setting, that becomes the highest volume setting when switching to Netflix, making it inaudible). You haven't run into any of these issues? Wonder if I just bought from a bad batch :\

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The only thing I don't like about the Chromecast is that you have to use your phone or tablet to control it. Perhaps the second gen model will have its own remote like every other media stick/player? The second gen device certainly looks strange compared to the original.... fortunately it won't be seen very often.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

I had no issue going from the 2013 Moto X to the Nexus 6 if that helps you out at all.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I actually like that you use your phone to control the Chromecast. There are more than enough remotes sitting on my coffee table as is. One for the TV itself, one for the cable box, one for my big fan, one for my small fan, one for my speaker system, one for my computer (HTPC), two different ones for my lights, and four console gaming controllers.

My house is a mess.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I used to have the very same problem. One word, Logitech Harmony. Ok, two.... but it will fix all the clutter by combining the majority of your remotes into one.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to have the very same problem. One word, Logitech Harmony. Ok, two.... but it will fix all the clutter by combining the majority of your remotes into one.

I second that, although set-up is a MAJOR pain and pretty complex...but I even control my PS3 with it to watch Netflix.

But I won't be getting Chromecast since I'll be turning this laptop into a media center, which will about make my PS3 obsolete since I only use it to watch movies. I'll just have to figure out how, if I can, to control my media center with the Harmony remote.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well the updated Chromecast should A.) Use CEC and B.) Use MHL HDMI ports for those of us that have them, no external power supply necessary.

It's aggravating to have a MHL port and nothing that can take advantage, other than the Roku Streaming Stick.

Reactions: CJM