2GB SD Card on Droid X

cece5702

Reaction score
Okay this may be a stupid question but the Droid X comes with 2gb pre-installed on the sd card. Can that hold right much?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

arabstar1982

Reaction score
Depends on what you are putting on it. Music, no its not going to hold that much if your library is large, especially if you have pictures and apps that you are putting to the SD card. I have a 16gb micro sd card in my DX and it's got 5 gb free, however I have my entire music library and MANY pictures on it, plus a few videos of my dogs, along with some apps. I also have documents for college stored on the card that I can access or email to myself if needed to print out at college and such. 2 gb will hold quite a few pictures by itself if that was all you wanted to use it for. If you plan on using it as an mp3 player as well, I recommend getting a larger micro SD card personally.

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Depends on what you are putting on it. Music, no its not going to hold that much if your library is large, especially if you have pictures and apps that you are putting to the SD card. I have a 16gb micro sd card in my DX and it's got 5 gb free, however I have my entire music library and MANY pictures on it, plus a few videos of my dogs, along with some apps. I also have documents for college stored on the card that I can access or email to myself if needed to print out at college and such. 2 gb will hold quite a few pictures by itself if that was all you wanted to use it for. If you plan on using it as an mp3 player as well, I recommend getting a larger micro SD card personally.

Okay! Thanks for your input :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2 GB? I'm pretty certain that it has the same size SD card as my D2 which is 8 GB. I took that out and put the one from my D1 in there.

If you're smart you won't put any music on your phone at all. Amazon MP3 will stream your music via 3G or wifi if you set up a Cloud. They give you 20 GB with the purchase of 1 mp3 album and you can spend as little as $5.00 on that.

Also Google Music is coming out, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to stream on that as well. No sense wasting space with music if you can stream it IMHO.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's 8gb. Unless you bought it used, the 8 could have been switched out for a 2. Unless you have a lot of music, put it on the sd (unless it really is a 2gb), otherwise go the cloud route.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

maurer171

Reaction score
The X comes with a 16 GB sd. 8 on board, 16 sd for 32 total out of the box. Did someone pull a switch on you?

arabstar1982

Reaction score
If you're smart you won't put any music on your phone at all. Amazon MP3 will stream your music via 3G or wifi if you set up a Cloud. They give you 20 GB with the purchase of 1 mp3 album and you can spend as little as $5.00 on that.

Also Google Music is coming out, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to stream on that as well. No sense wasting space with music if you can stream it IMHO.

Well in my case, (I am smart, Thank you very much) I put the music on there because at the gym, I don't get enough reception inside to stream anything and there is no wifi, so unless I want to spend extra money on an mp3 player when my phone can easily do it, I had to "waste space" with music on my sd card in order to be able to listen to music at the gym. Before you go insinuating that people are dumb, try thinking about what their reasoning could be please.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
according to the verizon website, it is now shipping with 2 gb pre-installed if you buy a DX now...

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Am I allowed to point out simple math errors without being rude? 16 + 8 = 32? This must some of that "new" math!

ZombieTurf

Reaction score
haha I caught on to the math error too.

so wait, is the X now shipping with 16 SD or 2? two different people saying two different things.

also, that's good info about the amazon cloud being upgraded to 20 GB with the purchase of an album. I'll have to get on that. Thanks!

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well in my case, (I am smart, Thank you very much) I put the music on there because at the gym, I don't get enough reception inside to stream anything and there is no wifi, so unless I want to spend extra money on an mp3 player when my phone can easily do it, I had to "waste space" with music on my sd card in order to be able to listen to music at the gym. Before you go insinuating that people are dumb, try thinking about what their reasoning could be please.

I don't think anyone is saying you are dumb. I know I was just checking on the memory because I always thought it came with at least an 8 (or 16). I would just spend the $40 and get a 16gb card (amazon). All the space you may need! Hopefully.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

arabstar1982

Reaction score
haha I caught on to the math error too.

so wait, is the X now shipping with 16 SD or 2? two different people saying two different things.

also, that's good info about the amazon cloud being upgraded to 20 GB with the purchase of an album. I'll have to get on that. Thanks!

Its shipping with 2 gb pre-installed, according to the Verizon website tonight when I looked at phones available....

bkendrick

Reaction score
I can assure everyone that if you go to verizon and buy an X today it will have a 2GB sd card. I think that's crap on verizon part since my X came with 16.

DX. CFU. LIB GB.5

maurer171

Reaction score
Am I allowed to point out simple math errors without being rude? 16 + 8 = 32? This must some of that "new" math!

D'oh! Thanks for that. Not rude at all. I meant 24 onboard. Not sure why I typed 32. Wishful thinking I guess? : )

Zog

Reaction score
Honestly, why can't you nerf the 16gb to 8gb? They're losing $ on this device. 2gb is just overkill. Thankfully I found a coupon for a free 4gb card on my wirefly purchase but still.. <^> verizon.

edit:

Blame Motorola. Verizon not only doesn't decide the size of the SD cards they don't warranty them either. If its a sandisk you go to sandisk, if its no name you go to the phone manufacturer.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

<^> motorola

Last edited: