200$ ... What's the catch?

Insane_Cat

Reaction score
Verizon advertises a $200 price tag for the droid, but there's got to be a catch, though.
What are the conditions for buying a droid at that price through verizon?
And what is the price if you don't qualify for their special pricing?
I really, really want to get a droid but I want to know what I'm getting into before I go buy it.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have credit, are you over 18, do you currently have Verizon Wireless as your carrier, if so are you eligible for an upgrade. There are too many questions to ask first before we can answer your question. Can you give us some background?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
mandatory data plan so $30/mo

also minutes plan, possible texting plan, that's it.

i don't get why you think there is a "catch" it's how it is with all cell phones.

with the questions and your suspicion, i don't think you're 18....

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
? What do you mean?
I got mine for $150, my friend got his for $200 with a free Eris for his wife??

There's nothing 'special' other than the 2-yr contract.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what I paid. Two contract and $100 mail in rebate brought it down to $200

texasPI

Reaction score
The catch is that price (or lower) is contingent upon a 2 year contract which is what allows VZW to subsidize the phone and make it more affordable.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Again, nobody here can answer the o.p. without some background, and hopefully they will be back to answer some of my probing questions to see how we can really answer the questions.

droidkm

Reaction score
insane cat, here is a quick summary.

droid is $200 with a 2 year contract. if you have verizon now and it's been 2 years, you'll get $50 more dollars off the price, or you can look around for better prices, i think amazon sells it for 150 or less (still with a contract).

a 2 year contract requires both minutes ($40/450 minutes/month minimum) and a data plan ($30/month). ~80/month or so if you include texts and fees.

with no contract the phone alone is 550ish. but there's no reason to get it with no contract.

mattygabe

Reaction score
insane cat, here is a quick summary.

droid is $200 with a 2 year contract. if you have verizon now and it's been 2 years, you'll get $50 more dollars off the price, or you can look around for better prices, i think amazon sells it for 150 or less (still with a contract).

a 2 year contract requires both minutes ($40/450 minutes/month minimum) and a data plan ($30/month). ~80/month or so if you include texts and fees.

with no contract the phone alone is 550ish. but there's no reason to get it with no contract.
The $50 dollars you mention that you get as a discount is the "New Every Two" discount that applies to the primary account holder, IF you're in a family share plan.

Amazon is still selling the Droid for $99.99 for NEW customers and $109.99 for EXISTING customers (including family share lines, primary and secondary).

Verizon Wireless is also still offering a free HTC Droid Eris for customers who buy the $199.99 Moto Droid, but each phone would require the 29.99 monthly fee for the data package (a requirement for ALL smartphones).