2 devices 1 number?

csanberg

Reaction score
Hey all, new here.

Just bought a droid yesterday because I couldn't hold out any longer. Unfortunately, I am a realtor and there isn't yet an app for the droid that enables me to use it with GE Security's Supra eKey lockboxes.

While on AT&T, I used to switch between 2 phones constantly; an older Samsung flip phone that I used while running my landscaping business, and a Palm Centro with the eKey application on it. All I had to do was switch my SIM card between the two.

I was hoping to do the same thing now that I am on Verizon...I was just going to get a Blackberry and switch between the 2 phones as necessary. Now I'm starting to think this isn't possible.

Keep in mind that I don't want the two devices to be active simultaneously or anything. I just want to be able to use them independently of one another at separate times. Is this in any way possible?

Thanks!

baniels

Reaction score
You could work that out using Google voice. Not exactly what you're after, but you could set it to ring to two numbers. But you'd have to be paying for those two numbers.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
Yep, get Google Voice. You come for the dual numbers and stay for all the other features.

Guurzak

Reaction score
No sim card in the droid, so you can't simply move your verizon account from one phone to another.

If you have two phones with active accounts, there are several ways to have a single number ring on both or either as needed. Call forwarding, Google Voice, and Skype or other VOIP services all address this issue in different ways.

OP
C

csanberg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't need 2 numbers though...I don't care if anyone can ever reach me on the other (non-droid) phone, as I will only be using it for a few minutes at a time anyway. All I need is for it to have a cellular signal in order to update the app (required daily) and communicate with the lockbox (via IR or Bluetooth).

So if I bought a used Blackberry Pearl of craigslist, there is no way I can temporarily disable the use of the droid and enable the use of the Blackberry?

Or is what you guys are saying about Google voice (and subsequently having 2 numbers) the only way to do something like that?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You can move the account between two phones, but you would have to log on to vzw and swap them....major pita.

IMHO a pay as you go plan on the other phone would be the easiest way to do this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah the pay as you go, and I also think verizon is offering a plan now with out talk time, maybe just a data, dont know how much it is but you could check and see

xkmakx

Reaction score
Yes u can switch between two phones even though verizon doesnt use sim cards yet..(they will when the new lte 4g rolls out) all you have to do to maunauly switch the phones is call *228 from the phone you want active and listen to which option it is to switch phones its ether 2 or 3 i work for best buy mobile we do it everyday for people its the same as the other poster who said u can do it on the web but this way u can do it right from the phone you want to use on your number and account

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Yes you can do this but it will be kind of a pain. Ignore all the talk about google voice because I don't really think the other posters knew what you were talking about. For what you are wanting to do you can just switch between the two phones via the my verizon page on their webpage. All you have to do is switch the MEID under your phone number and then dial *228 and the new phone is activated. When you are done just log back in and switch back to your Droid. Now I could be wrong but if you are using just an app via bluetooth to connect to the eKey receiver you will not actually need that phone activated at the time. To update, just activate that phone everymorning to get the update then deactivate it. As long as it does not need any other data from the web you should be good to just run the app without activating the phones voice and data. But as I said, this could be wrong.

OP
C

csanberg

Reaction score
Yes u can switch between two phones even though verizon doesnt use sim cards yet..(they will when the new lte 4g rolls out) all you have to do to maunauly switch the phones is call *228 from the phone you want active and listen to which option it is to switch phones its ether 2 or 3 i work for best buy mobile we do it everyday for people its the same as the other poster who said u can do it on the web but this way u can do it right from the phone you want to use on your number and account

Wow dude you just saved me a ton of hassle....I tried it on my wife's old flip phone and it seemed to work perfect....does calling *228, or activating different phones, cost anything?

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Wow dude you just saved me a ton of hassle....I tried it on my wife's old flip phone and it seemed to work perfect....does calling *228, or activating different phones, cost anything?

No this does not cost anything extra.

OP
C

csanberg

Reaction score
Well this has been incredibly helpful...I really appreciate all of the quick responses. I was starting to think I had screwed myself out of my eKey (although I am enjoying the droid so much I almost didn't care). Now it looks like I can have both for no additional cost. Again, thank you guys very much.

hkmp5s

Reaction score
That was one of my questions when I went from my boulder to the droid. I wanted to use my water proof phone on the river and at the deer lease but wanted the droid for all my down time at work. I have swaped it a couple of times and it takes like 2 minutes. Very nice.